corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » HELP hard drive recovery on a remotely wiped mac

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HELP hard drive recovery on a remotely wiped mac
LeeM

User status: Offline
3rd Apr 13 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates ex is mental, last night she got into his icloud account and wiped his mac, we get this screen on startup

is there anyway to get his music back? hes a dj and theres shit loads! happy to do a fresh install afterwards but really want music and video files back. is it all gone completely at this stage? what programme will recover the drive?
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go into purchases section in itunes and redownload?
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hold T during boot and the Mac will enter Target Disk Mode.

Connect to other Mac by Thunderbolt or Firewire cable and you should be able to access it as an external drive.

LeeM

3rd Apr 13 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much are firewire cables nowadays? wanna try get it sorted asap
LeeM

3rd Apr 13 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Go into purchases section in itunes and redownload?

wheres the purchases section of piratebay
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 14:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
how much are firewire cables nowadays? wanna try get it sorted asap
Can get a China special for next to nothing from eBay or go to an Apple store and get raped.

I know because I've been in a similar situation and paid something stupid like £30 for a 1.5m Firewire 800 cable that I've used that one time.

Not many places (around here at least) stock Firewire and Thunderbolt cables.

Dom

3rd Apr 13 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll need to do recovery on the drive; have a read - http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_wipe_a_mac_remotely_with_icloud_and_get_the_data_back/?utm_source=macobserver&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss_everything

Although if the data is his job then he should have it backed up; extremely rookie not to. Similarly, anyone using iCloud should again be using extremely secure passwords - plenty of reports of people getting their Mac accounts hacked (usually via social-hacking)
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could also pull out the drive and stick it in a USB enclosure.

Chances are you'll have an enclosure and if not, it's likely cheaper and definitely more useful than the cable.

LeeM

3rd Apr 13 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got an enclosure but couldnt be arsed taking it all apart so we just nipped to get a firewire cable, i wouldnt mind adding it to the collection. in target disk mode running data rescue 3 now, drive was completely blank
Aaron

3rd Apr 13 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Credit where it's due, that is pretty funny*

*not for your mate of course
Dom

3rd Apr 13 at 15:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
....drive was completely blank

'Remote Wipe', clue is in the name

Luckily it isn't a 'secure' wipe so if it's a mechanical drive then he should get a reasonable amount of it recovered although he won't get everything back unfortunately.

Hopefully he's changed his iCloud password (recommend using http://strongpasswordgenerator.com/) to something extremely secure and got a a backup solution in place - either locally (external drive) or remote (BackBlaze is stupidly cheap); ideally both.

[Edited on 03-04-2013 by Dom]
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Your new password:
kO_E("]-@Eto'6t

Yeah, I'll have a fat chance remembering that one.

What's wrong with a misspelled eight letter word with random capital letters and numbers?

Dom

3rd Apr 13 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Dom, question... I'm sure I'm not reading correctly but... if you perform a remote wipe (and by some miracle it actually does it in less than the day quoted ), that doesn't wipe an associated time machine as well does it??

From what i know, Remote Wipe doesn't affect Time Machine backups but i've never tested it personally. Although if you have anything you can't afford to lose, then i'd invest in a non-Apple associated backup solution just for peace of mind - having multiple backups isn't a bad idea anyway.

And as said, if you have Remote Wipe enabled make sure you're using a strong password (Mixture of upper and lowercase, symbols, numbers etc)
LeeM

3rd Apr 13 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just took him into town to buy a usb keyring and external drive, and im helping him set it up again. it wont happen again
Robbo

3rd Apr 13 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Dom, question... I'm sure I'm not reading correctly but... if you perform a remote wipe (and by some miracle it actually does it in less than the day quoted ), that doesn't wipe an associated time machine as well does it??

From what i know, Remote Wipe doesn't affect Time Machine backups but i've never tested it personally. Although if you have anything you can't afford to lose, then i'd invest in a non-Apple associated backup solution just for peace of mind - having multiple backups isn't a bad idea anyway.

And as said, if you have Remote Wipe enabled make sure you're using a strong password (Mixture of upper and lowercase, symbols, numbers etc)
no sorry i deleted it as when ir ead to the bottom, i realised they were talking about being lucky the time machine wasnt affected, as it was plugged in at the time
Robbo

3rd Apr 13 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats that Blazeback you mentioned btw?
Dom

3rd Apr 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:

Your new password:
kO_E("]-@Eto'6t

Yeah, I'll have a fat chance remembering that one.

If you use it enough then you'll remember it
Dom

3rd Apr 13 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
whats that Blazeback you mentioned btw?

Should have been BackBlaze (http://www.backblaze.com) - it's online secure storage, which is extremely well priced.

Only downside to online storage is that it can take a fair while to upload if you have a lot of data but it's worth doing.
Robbo

3rd Apr 13 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Apr 13 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ex pulled a blinder here didn't she
LeeM

3rd Apr 13 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shes a fucking cunt. been on the phone to him saying shes gonna top herself, im tempted to tell her to fuckin do it. we wondered how she always knew he was at mine, becuase she'd always start ringing me when he got here
Andrew

3rd Apr 13 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a bird had done this to me, i'd phone Apple and ask what the fuck has gone on. Why has someone hacked my iCloud account and I want my mac up and running again with all my data. If they cannot do it, get the IP that logged in from Apple and take it to the Police. Boom! You have her.
John

3rd Apr 13 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's just how it works in real life.
ed

4th Apr 13 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple will then say that you've been negligent with your password and tell you to piss off.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

4th Apr 13 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll