corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Dec 12 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reasonably mild/dry day today so nipped out to Wilko's for some debadging supplies (WD40 and a power extension for my missus' hairdryer ) and then got to work on the rear.

I gave the bootlid a blast with the pressure washer first, just because I'd be washing the car anyway and thought having a clean area to work on would be better.

Gave the STi and Type UK badges 5 minutes with the hairdryer first, then I removed the badges from the car with the help of:

(12lbs breaking strain)

The badges came off dead easy, but left behind:

I soaked the residue in WD40 and heated it up again with the hairdryer. A minute or so later, I rubbed it off gently with a microfibre cloth.

Repeated the other side (WRX and Impreza) to give me the following:

I studied it long and hard, and decided that it was a bit too bland for me now - so replacing the STi badge with a pink one was definately the right move.

I decided to keep the S U B A R U in place too, but I may be brave and remove that in the future. It'll be an absolute nighmare to replace though with all those individual letters to line up straight if I change my mind.

The STi badge I bought came with a cool foam template type thing, so no issue at all getting that lined up and in place:

I then gave the car a reasonably quick wash, snow foam to open followed by a PW rinse, 2 bucket wash with AG shampoo and then a quick dry followed by a light coating of Megs Quick Detailer. I spent a bit more time on the boot lid with some Megs Paste Wax as I'm pretty sure the WD40 was doing no favours to the final product applied by Mike @ Deeper Detail...

After shot of the rear:

I've had some decals sat around for a few weeks now for the front fog covers. Not sure whether to apply them or not, I finally whipped the covers inside to give strip them of any wax and then spent a while lining up the decals.

I think they look alright to be honest, still need to make my mind up but as the decals are all individual letters and stuff - I get the feeling stonechips will have their way with the decals in a few weeks and I'll be wanting to replace them anyway... still not bad for a fiver.

The decals are straight, which is a relief They're maybe a touch on the low side though.

[Edited on 08-12-2012 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

8th Dec 12 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good job, but may have been better taken the badges off before getting it detailed

I like the front decals.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Dec 12 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Good job, but may have been better taken the badges off before getting it detailed

I like the front decals.

Yep dropped a bollock with that one

I'm learning though!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

8th Dec 12 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks fantastic on the rear now. I wouldn't remove the Subaru part personally.

Jeez tho that boot lock is ghastly.
big eck

8th Dec 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Much better. Take the Subaru badge off tho, will suit the rear a lot.

In fact the rear is similar to my car. I had the Leon in big letters like your Subaru one and the small badges at either side. I removed them all apart from the cupra R badges like you've kept the sti one lol.

[Edited on 08-12-2012 by big eck]
BarnshaW

8th Dec 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no badges on the rear FTW

djgritt
Premium Member

8th Dec 12 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Looks fantastic on the rear now. I wouldn't remove the Subaru part personally.

Jeez tho that boot lock is ghastly.

This
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Dec 12 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The SUBARU lettering certainly divides opinion, I need to look at a few (hundred) photographs to make my mind up, as I said there will be no turning back as I really CBA lining up 6 individual characters again

The boot locks are a bit mid 90's aren't they Not much I can do about it without being drastic and smoothing it over with a popper.

At least my fridge is looking a bit more pimped out now, matches my K&N Microwave...

Needed to get a photo before my missus gets home and tells me to take them off.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

9th Dec 12 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was gunna say sti her face but that could have a whole different meaning

Wonder how full red rear lights would look?
daymoon
Premium Member

9th Dec 12 at 12:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you park at at Charles street in Selby by any chance? Or some one has exactly same Subaru?
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Dec 12 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
Do you park at at Charles street in Selby by any chance? Or some one has exactly same Subaru?

Nope, I had to googlemap it to find out where Charles Street is!

I guess that means I've got a clone

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

9th Dec 12 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am sure it's an 05 plate with pink STi stickers on fog covers and in same colour
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 11:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a couple of odd jobs on Sunday, tidied the hands free mic cable up a bit as it was drooping dangerously close to my feet in the footwell I also removed one of the clips from my front grill, as it was a bit "slack" and the grill was creeping forwards in one corner and didn't look flush to the car. I'll see about replacing the clip, but for now it's cable tied in nicely and sits flush - the cable tie only visible when the bonnet is open.

While tinkering about, I checked my Oil level and it's a little lower than it was when I bought the car - which is normal apparently, I just need a top up. I went online to find the right oil type - and then decided instead to do a full oil/filter change as it's been 6 months since the last service on the car and it looks like the previous owner has been doing 6 monthly services (though interval for these is a 12month/10k miles schedule IIRC).

I'm happy to continue the 6 monthly thing, an oil/filter change between "proper" services shouldn't be too expensive, and if I can get access to some ramps it's something I'd like to do myself to be honest.

I was a click away from ordering my oil and filter, then I ended up talking to Kev @ Scoobyclinic... and before I knew it I was booked in for Friday to have an interim service and dyno/diagnostics session

Kev has basically said he'll do a full inspection of the car, and "draw a line" under it's history so I've got piece of mind and he'll recommend any minor changes/upgrades I should make before looking at major suspension/engine upgrades.

The Dyno run will apparently tell me if everything is running smoothly and healthily - the power reading is secondary, but will still be nice to know as the car has had an undocumented remap at somepoint... apparently.

Car should be 305bhp "standard" with the Prodrive Performance Pack, so if everything is healthy it should at least make close to that... I guess

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

10th Dec 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be interesting to see what it actually makes. Plus with the new stickers it should be faster
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Dec 12 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye will be nice to know, and I've always wanted a pretty printout graph

It's my secondary goal though. I've been spoiled by warranties and service plans with my last few cars - and I've got it in my head that this one is going to blow up in spectacular fashion so I want somebody in the know to give it a good going over, and make sure everything is happy

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

11th Dec 12 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'm paranoid about that kinda shit after my 1.0 camshaft snapped when it had only done 25k. Buying a bigger engine and that happening is a scary expensive prospect
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Dec 12 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Early start this morning, hit the road for the ScoobyClinic and brought Wrighty along for the ride.

Plan was for a quick "winter service" and then a power run on their Dyno to see if the existing map was "healthy" and everything was safe and steady.

The weather was attrocious so we huddled up in the waiting room (a portakabin with an electric heater and a vendine machine!) for a couple of hours.

The rain let up so we went for a quick look around the literally hundreds of Imprezas that were scattered across the site!

RIP 22b

Much healthier looking 22b!

They had some pretty impressive looking race cars, and they were mid way through race prepping a WR1. I was a proper Scooby fanboy as a kid, so it was like a (really cold) sweetshop for me

We retreated back to the waiting room and when they finally came in, instead of a Dyna printout the fella had a list of jobs and said "It's not safe to take on the Dyno".

I had the shits from yesterdays curry already, but I was seriously trying to keep hold of my bowels at this point

Luckily the list of jobs wasn't too bad, would just mean a bit more $$ and more hours sat in the freezing cold!

List was as follows:

* OS Front Ball Joint worn and loose (this was the bit preventing the dyno run)

Rear Pads Low (still 2-3k miles left)

OS Rear shock has got play (standard feature on these apparently, and the cause of the "clunk" which has led me to look at coilovers for next year)

* Bolt snapped on undertray

* Top hose on wrong way round, and nearly worn through

Brake fluid + Clutch fluid want replacing

* Aircon and Alternator belts want replacing

I told them to sort all the stuff marked with a *, and I'd add the other stuff to my list for next year. I need to learn how to change brakes, and I'll sort some braided hoses out at the same time... under the supervision of somebody who knows their stuff

I'll sort the shocks by getting coilovers, and the fluid change he said will wait till the next major service.

I really needed a dump so I went exploring to find the bathroom, which turned out to be in the same building as the building in which my car was - so after the coldest poo I've ever done, I went for a chat and the helpful chap showed me right around the car and showed me all the bits they had found.

They offered to change both drivers and passenger side balljoint but he said in all honesty I'd be wasting money as the passenger side was fine - so I opted with saving money.

The top hose is an 'S' shaped pipe which is slightly different at each end - and as it had been put on backwards, it was rubbing on the alternator - and it really had almost worn through, I could push my finger through the thin rubber that was left. They replaced it with a nice red one for a bit of engine bay bling

I also came across these whilst under the car:

Whiteline anti-lift kit, previous owner claimed the car as standard minus map - so I assume these were put on before. Either way, saves me some cash later on I guess!

I let the fella get back to work and went back into the waiting facility to ... wait.

Some hours later, we heard a car on the Dyno so wandered out to have a look. It was a classic Scoob from another customer who was waiting with us - it didn't sound to healthy to be honest, and when we left later on he was outside struggling to get it started

Eventually my car came off the ramps and got mounted up on the dyno for it's power run:

The "dyno guys" vanished for another half an hour, then finally we were under way!

The car sounded awesome at full power, the rev needle went places I've never taken it

There was another chap with us who was waiting for his remap and he was stood watching the monitor - and scared me saying it was only making 250bhp and it looked like I had a boost leak

Luckily he was looking at the "at the wheels" graph, and my final reading ended up being 315.6bhp @ 6200rpm. About what I was expecting assuming the car was healthy, so hurray!

These graphs mean little to me, but hopefully they mean I've got a healthy car... and I won't be blowing any welds on my intake any time soon.

BHP and Torque

Boost and Fuel... something or other

The dyno guy said everything looked/sounded/felt healthy so I was happy.

After another half an hour wait for them to find my invoice, I paid up and we were finally on our way

Arrived at 10am, left at about 5pm

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

14th Dec 12 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool story bro
BeetleGav

14th Dec 12 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not bad that then, no video?

That 22b is nice
djgritt
Premium Member

14th Dec 12 at 22:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good figures
Alex_Rally

15th Dec 12 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuk waiting all day just leave the car and come back, id of been bored to fuck.
AndyCorsaSport

15th Dec 12 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scooby clinic is a strange place ain't it? First time you've been? Very weird place
Wrighty

15th Dec 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Rally

have any idea where scooby clinic is?
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Dec 12 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Rally

have any idea where scooby clinic is?

Aye I was only expecting them to have the car for an hour or two (basic service + dyno run) but due to the issues and their... laid back approach to getting work done we ended up there all day. We couldn't even walk to a pub/town centre - it's properly out in the middle of nowhere, 80mins from home - and we had to cross a ford to even get there

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

15th Dec 12 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My new hose/engine bay bling (right at the front):

I did take a load of video but my hands were shaking that much, all you can hear is the phone rattling This is the only clip you can actually hear the car

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.2167380 seconds