corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple Announcement

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple Announcement
Bart

User status: Offline
24th Oct 12 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Yes, releasing a revised product only 6 months apart isn't great IMO
Surely it will mean more competition and better products for the consumer?

Maybe, or maybe it's too often and will dilute the market.
What if they released a new model every week? Wouldn't be great either.

I wouldn't bank on them releasing a new iPad every 6 months, I just think they wanted to get one over their rivals in every which way possible.
Rob_Quads

24th Oct 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the main reason behind the new iPad was so that the connector was across all prodcuts. They then looked for other things to improve like cpu etc so it was not just the connector.
Balling
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What if they released a new model every week? Wouldn't be great either.
Technically that would be impossible, but if the did make the product evolve naturally opposed to a facelift each year, it would make the new tech available to consumers much faster.

quote:
I wouldn't bank on them releasing a new iPad every 6 months
Agreed. I think they will go back to a 12 month schedule, but I do wonder I they will throw out a new one come spring or if they will keep the same form factor for 18 months.

Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Today Apple introduced several new products and one of them was the 7.9" iPad Mini. They showed several screen shots with the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini side by side showing the same webpage of the Guggenheim Museum. Because the iPad has a form factor of 4:3 and the Nexus 7 a form factor of 16:10, in landscape viewing the iPad will show more website content. However, to make the difference even more dramatic, Apple distorted the facts and deceived the public by cutting about an inch of real estate screen in the Nexus 7.

In portrait viewing, they showed the iPad Mini in full screen mode but not the Nexus 7. Also, they carefully selected the Guggenheim website because there is no need to scroll down in order to see all the information. Had they selected a website such as Engadget or The Verge, where you need to scroll down, the screen shots would have proven that the Nexus 7 actually shows more information than the iPad Mini. Of course, that was not part of their presentation.
This behavior is really reprehensible from a serious company and they should apologize for it.
Here is a screen shot of Apple's presentation and, underneath, what you see with the Nexus 7 in landscape viewing.
mwg

24th Oct 12 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like Balling said, they aren't going to highlight the disadvantages are they
pow
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4:3 is a nicer screen ratio though really...
AndyKent

24th Oct 12 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair, that's not a disadvantage, that's misrepresentation
Munchie

24th Oct 12 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still getting a Nexus 7. I can get a 32GB for around £167 using NHS and staff discounts in currys.

Announcement on 29th October
LeeM

24th Oct 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i fancy a mini, but in terms of internal hardware is it any different from my ipad 2?
Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol
Balling
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
4:3 is a nicer screen ratio though really...
Indeed! I've always said that the thought widescreen was some how better for anything than film is a complete misunderstanding. I'd prefer a 1:1 screen ration on anything but my TV.

Perhaps my phone as well, but mostly because it'd be awkward with a rectangular screen...

Munchie

24th Oct 12 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Read this.........very true in my opinion!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2012/10/24/tim-cook-blinked-first-the-nexus-7-took-pride-of-place-at-the-ipad-mini-launch/
Balling
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
i fancy a mini, but in terms of internal hardware is it any different from my ipad 2?
Has a lightning connector and slightly faster processor.

Also comes in colour choice of white on silver or scratches on black.

Balling
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Munchie

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2012/10/24/tim-cook-blinked-first-the-nexus-7-took-pride-of-place-at-the-ipad-mini-launch/
That's all true imo.

LeeM

24th Oct 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Has a lightning connector and slightly faster processor.

Also comes in colour choice of white on silver or scratches on black.

apple site says they both have dual core A5's, is the mini a higher clock speed?
LeeM

24th Oct 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Munchie

That's all true imo.

"I know that Apple’s strategy is to keep profits high, but Steve Jobs’ iPads were never the expensive option in the tablet market, they were the cheapest. Tim Cook has done the exact opposite with the iPad Mini."

ipads have never been the cheapest
Rob_Quads

24th Oct 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Today Apple introduced several new products and one of them was the 7.9" iPad Mini. They showed several screen shots with the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini side by side showing the same webpage of the Guggenheim Museum. ...........

Google wouldn't do this though would they!

They wouldn't do a demo of the new all singing all dancing home automation capability of android........well baring the non-android products in the background they actually used to do the demo

[Edited on 24-10-2012 by Rob_Quads]
Steve
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no m8 they wouldnt
Balling
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
apple site says they both have dual core A5's, is the mini a higher clock speed?
My bad, thought the mini was the A5X. In that case only difference is screen size, dock connector and camera.

In short, theres not benefit of choosing the mini over the 2, unless you want a smaller tablet.

Gavin
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
My bad, thought the mini was the A5X. In that case only difference is screen size, dock connector and camera.

In short, theres not benefit of choosing the mini over the 2, unless you want a smaller tablet.

plus its £80 cheaper

pew pew pew pewwwww
Balling
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gavin
plus its £80 cheaper
Not when he already has the 2.

LeeM

24th Oct 12 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do like the idea of a slightly smaller tablet. however i am generally against the idea at the same time
A2H GO

24th Oct 12 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So long story short, the most successful business in the world is trying to milk more money from consumers...key word in there being 'business'

I bought an iPad 3 on launch, am I pissed off? No, it's still the same iPad 3.

Black/Slate mini looks very cool, shame they didn't follow this design with the iPad 4, I guess they have to save something for spring.
Munchie

24th Oct 12 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anything changed cosmetically externally between the ipad 3 and the ipad 4th Gen?
Toby
Premium Member

24th Oct 12 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at the masses trying to hide the fact they do not own the latest product and the stress that this desire is causing!

A product is no worse off and anybody that claims that its outdated are delusional as a product is always going to be super-seeded so is not a reason to not purchase or to purchase an item. I bet they have the iPad 20 lined up with tech specs which they will drip feed over the next few years.

I think the iPad mini is a combination of Apple milking the market but also a reaction to competition which is 'different' as far as apple are concerned.

What i would point out those that like having the latest product would be not to buy the iPad mini as i have just seen the iPad mini mini

Edit: Complete with Retina Gorilla Glass 15 screen

[Edited on 24-10-2012 by Toby]

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll