corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Changed diesel filter now car won't start?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Changed diesel filter now car won't start?
Jamie-C

User status: Offline
1st Sep 12 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just changed the diesel filter on the Astra and now the bastarding thing won't start It did start at 1st but as soon as I rev'd it, it would die. Now it won't start at all. Took the line of injector 1 and no fuel squirted out.

Whats happened , theres no fuel leaks, checked for any wires that I maybe knocked off but theres nothing
John

1st Sep 12 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fuel filter will be empty.

Pour diesel straight into the filter.
Jamie-C

1st Sep 12 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried that. Put the old filter back on too to see if maybe there was a fault with the new one but still no joy.
Rich H

1st Sep 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you upped the fuelling & boost previously, may I suggest it could have something to do with that?!
Sean

1st Sep 12 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it have a self primer?
ShEp

1st Sep 12 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a primer on it? like a small rubber pump in the engine bay?

If not, keep filling the filter up with diesel, make sure you have all the rubber seals in the correct place, and wind it over with the throttle to the floor.

It will eventually start
andys sxi
Premium Member

1st Sep 12 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe the injector might have some dirt in there when you took the old filter out?

when i changed the diesel filter on the audi i bought i got told to turn the key on and off a few times before i started it, i did that and it started fine but that was an 06 reg so might be different on your car. it did run rough untill more fuel got in and it was fine after that

April 08 feature car
broster
Premium Member

1st Sep 12 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spray brake cleaner into the intake to get it running, you will have created an air lock in the fuel system now.
Jamie-C

1st Sep 12 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No self primer on it, checked all the seals over, I guess I'll just have to keep filling the filter then and hopefully that will work.

Rich upping the boost and fueling won't have caused it. Worked fine until I changed fuel filter then it died.
broster
Premium Member

1st Sep 12 at 15:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See my reply!
shane_o

1st Sep 12 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like broster said, spray brake cleaner or better like easy start in the intake pipe, vauxhall derv's are a pita for this
carl roper

1st Sep 12 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you replaced the copper washers on the feed union? if you have left one washer off it wont run as it sucks air instead of Diesel i had this on my old one.
Bonney

1st Sep 12 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just an airlock in the fuel system, just needs turning over until the filter fills up then crack off the injector furthest away from the filter and bleed it, just don't forget to tighten it up.
shaunmods
Premium Member

1st Sep 12 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My combo did exactly the same when I changed mine Jamie. I brimmed the filter then filled the out pipe that comes off the filter with filtered diesel. Then a shit load of easy start and I finally got it going after having to jump it because it flattened the battery
Jamie-C

1st Sep 12 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent ages filling up the filter, trying to bleed it via the injectors and bleed screws and didn't get any fuel at all. Must have spent at least 2 hours trying to do it that way.

In the end my mate suggested we tow it up the road in 3rd gear, so tried that sorted it for me.

Bloody nightmare, I thought changing a fuel filter was a 10 minute job
lozarus

1st Sep 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuse box in NSF engine bay bottom corner in the right silver relay bridge top n bottom contacts out n it primes filter
Mertin

1st Sep 12 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
I spent ages filling up the filter, trying to bleed it via the injectors and bleed screws and didn't get any fuel at all. Must have spent at least 2 hours trying to do it that way.

In the end my mate suggested we tow it up the road in 3rd gear, so tried that sorted it for me.

Bloody nightmare, I thought changing a fuel filter was a 10 minute job

It is but you just have to remember and fill the fuel filter with diesel first, or if it has a priming pump do this and leave one of the pipes off until you get diesel coming out the top of the filter and then try for a start.
Or if its a newer car that primes when you turn on the ignition then do this a few times
mattievRS

2nd Sep 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it still doesnt start then tow it down the road with ignition on and in 2nd gear and itll start after 100 yards

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Changed diesel filter now car won't start? 24 database queries in 0.0116088 seconds