corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mazda 3 MPS, Focus ST or Astra VXR

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mazda 3 MPS, Focus ST or Astra VXR
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
10th Aug 12 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kind of thinking I'm getting a bit old for the scooby now even after just getting it neighbours are hating the exhaust (it's LOUD) and it just feels really old and crashy, I suppose it is 13 years old. Kind of want to spend loads on it but just don't want to throw money away so thinking of something newer.

The parts costs etc of an ///M scare the hell out of me so I won't be getting one.

Choices are,

Mazda 3 MPS
Good points- Driven a few and like them, quite quick and grunty and I think with the aero kit look smart but still Q. Still mates with the lads I worked with at Mazda so parts and garage are sorted. 5 door.
Bad points- High tax band Hard to sell on? Dullish steering and ride.

Focus ST-3
Good points- Again driven some and really rate them. Parts costs, normal tax. Like the looks (would be blue)and the heated seats on the ST3. 5 door.
Bad points- Can't think of much apart from maybe needing a remap etc as standard there not at there true potential.

Astra VXR
Good points- I still think in Arden blue with the 19's they look amazing easily tuneable and smaller engine.
Bad points- 3 door (we have a 17 month old)Never driven one it sounds daft but I can 'imagine' how it would drive. Drove a Corsa VXR Arctic last weekend and loved it and I'd have one if we didn't need the boot.
Russ

10th Aug 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

focus
Ben G

10th Aug 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the focus st is the best all rounder and most practical.
bigron1988

10th Aug 12 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-03-FORD-FOCUS-RS-46K-MILES-VXR-ST-EVO-STI-R32-GTI-F1-/221085749869?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3379bcd26d

or have you looked at mk5 golf r32s?
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 12 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am I right in thinking the boot on the ST is huge Ben?
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 12 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigron1988
one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-03-FORD-FOCUS-RS-46K-MILES-VXR-ST-EVO-STI-R32-GTI-F1-/221085749869?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3379bcd26d

or have you looked at mk5 golf r32s?

Do like them but too old hat now

Looked at Mk5 Golf GTI's but a bit bland for me. R32 would be out my budget 6.5/7K
Ben G

10th Aug 12 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT

yes, it's massive. if anything, too big
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 12 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

yes, it's massive. if anything, too big

When you have kids mate a boot can never be too big the QashQai's is big so that's our daily runabout. It's just incase we ever have to use mine that I need to be sure it can take the pram.
big eck

10th Aug 12 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Afaik the st is a greedy fucker on fuel, no better than your scooby even. There not that quick either tbh. I love the 3 mps but the constant high tax would put me off. Out if those 3 it would have to be the Astra but you have a kid and the seats are a nightmare to put forward on them. What about the Megane 225???
Colin

10th Aug 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Focus
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 12 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they bad with kids eck? Didn't think to ask that just assumed new car seats are easy to fold forward etc

I've heard the MPG stories about the ST. I doubt the MPS would fair much better. Is the VXR decent when driven sensibly?
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 12 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just got 230 miles to a tank in the scoob with normal town driving so that was about 23 MPG....
djgritt
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd probably go for the Focus, seeing as you mention the Golfs are out of budget.

A friend has a facelifted 5-dr ST3, in Electric Orange, and it's perfect for him and his wife. They are planning to be rid of it once they Sprog up though, he's going to PX it for an Insignia VXR

What about a 5-dr Renaultsport Megane?
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reliability of the Renault doesn't fill me with hope TBH! I'd only have an F1 also. Might have a gander at the price of them...
big eck

10th Aug 12 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates Astra vxr is the same as my old one Alan. The seats go forward obviously but your taking a tiny amount, plus the whole seat base goes forward but it doesn't reset itself in the same position so you need to fuck about adjusting it back every time you put it forward. That would be a compete pain the in the ass if you had a wee one. The focus sounds like a good idea, needs to be in either orange or red.
djgritt
Premium Member

10th Aug 12 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The reliability of the Renault doesn't fill me with hope TBH! I'd only have an F1 also. Might have a gander at the price of them...

I saw a Black Megane 225 Lux, 5 door, on eBay with a Classified/Buy it Now price of £6495 earlier on, i'll see if I can find the link.

Edit - LINK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Renault-Megane-225-Renaultsport-Lux-/251114411637?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a7795d675#ht_902wt_1271

[Edited on 10-08-2012 by djgritt]
mike56gte

10th Aug 12 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mk5 5door gti golf? Prices are coming down.
taylorboosh

10th Aug 12 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Focus everyday mate, big fan a them always have been, still nothing on the corsa D though
CORSA NUT

10th Aug 12 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:

I saw a Black Megane 225 Lux, 5 door, on eBay with a Classified/Buy it Now price of £6495 earlier on, i'll see if I can find the link.

Edit - LINK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-Renault-Megane-225-Renaultsport-Lux-/251114411637?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a7795d675#ht_902wt_1271

[Edited on 10-08-2012 by djgritt]

That does look smart TBF
1L Nick

10th Aug 12 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh I'd have the focus st cuz they r quick an pactical. An u don't see many around. An u see to many astra Vxr's they r to common.
big eck

10th Aug 12 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not save even more money and go for a mk1 LCR??? Ticks every box.
Andy Stocker

10th Aug 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Are they bad with kids eck? Didn't think to ask that just assumed new car seats are easy to fold forward etc

I've heard the MPG stories about the ST. I doubt the MPS would fair much better. Is the VXR decent when driven sensibly?

I recently went to nurburgring and got out there on 1 tank, and back on 1 tank. On the way back it was 423 miles and the petrol light just popped on so another 30 miles or so and a total of 450 miles.
Journey out and back, 2 laps and a bit of town driving gave me an average of 38.2 in a stage 2 VXR
adiohead

10th Aug 12 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can have my LCR if you want
SetH

10th Aug 12 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1L Nick
Tbh I'd have the focus st cuz they r quick an pactical. An u don't see many around. An u see to many astra Vxr's they r to common.

What???
csweatherston

11th Aug 12 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been looking at the same cars recently.
Ive decided on a vxr, as you can get a lower milage example for less than a focus.

The other contender was a mk5 gti... Could get a 5door which would be handy with kids.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Mazda 3 MPS, Focus ST or Astra VXR 22 database queries in 0.0986750 seconds