corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Steering wheel wobble. UPDATE Few more things tried, still have vibrations.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steering wheel wobble. UPDATE Few more things tried, still have vibrations.
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Jun 12 at 23:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically I'm still getting wobble in the steering wheel around 60-70mph.

The tyres are new.
Tracking has been done twice.
Balancing 3 times.
Wheels aren't buckled.
I've tried swapping the wheels around and it makes no difference.
I've checked for play in the wheels top and bottom and side to side but there doesn't appear to be any movement so I don't think it's wheel bearings.

Any further things to check? It's really starting to get on my nerves now Cheers.

[Edited on 13-06-2012 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
Dean_W

2nd Jun 12 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Warped discs maybe?

Sounds strange, but try swapping rear wheels for the fronts.
lregsi

2nd Jun 12 at 06:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the wheels fit the hub I had this on my Astra I needed spigot rings sorted it right out.
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 12 at 07:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Discs aren't warped. Like I said in the original post, I've tried swapping the wheels around but the problem is still there. And the centre bore of the wheels is correct for the car.

MX5 Project Thread
corsadonk
Premium Member

2nd Jun 12 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the track rod ends like? I changed mine, because it failed it's MOT, and it's sorted out the wobble. Also check your bottom ball joints over.
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 12 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
What are the track rod ends like? I changed mine, because it failed it's MOT, and it's sorted out the wobble. Also check your bottom ball joints over.

How would I identify 'bad' track rod ends and ball joints? What should I look out for as an indication they need replacing?

MX5 Project Thread
Generation

2nd Jun 12 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Split, none smooth movements when moving hub.

Play in ball joints
nibnob21
Premium Member

2nd Jun 12 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well when I had the car jacked up with the wheels on I wiggled them at 12 o clock and 6 o clock and there was no knocking or play so I don't think the ball joints are at fault. Likewise there was no play or knocking on either front wheel when wobbling them at 3 o clock and 9 o clock so I think the bearings are fine too. I'll check the track rod ends but I would have thought these would have created a knock or play when wobbling the wheels.

I'm going to buy some electronic vernier calipers tomorrow to double check the bore of the wheels and compare it to the car. I'll feel really stupid if all it needs is some spigot rings lol.

Am I right in thinking the Corsa B centre bore is 56.6mm?

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jun 12 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have an update.

Went outside in the rain to try and get to the bottom of the problem. I double checked both front wheels for play. Absolutely no play on both sides when wobbling the wheel top and bottom. There is an equal amount of movement on both sides when wobbling the wheel side to side, but I feel this play is purely normal and isn't down to the bearings. Plus there's no whining or abnormal sounds when I drive.

Here's a picture of one of the track rod ends and one of the ball joints.

Driver's side and Passenger's side looked the same and as you can see the rubber hasn't split on either and although grubby, they aren't perishing at all either.

I double checked the bore of the wheel and it matches the Corsa's hub of ~56.5mm so I'm really stumped as to what it could be?!

MX5 Project Thread
corsadonk
Premium Member

3rd Jun 12 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They look like the original ones, might be worth asking a MOT tester if they will check it for you. I checked mine before the last test and didn't notice anything wrong, but he showed me the play.
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jun 12 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah perhaps that's not a bad idea. It has also been suggested to me that the steering rack could be worn. Been told to jack the car up and with some one holding the steering wheel on full lock, check for play in the wheels and if there is any then it should be easier to spot where the play is.

MX5 Project Thread
BeetleGav

3rd Jun 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i had wheel wobble i had a bubble in the wall of my tyre, new tyre and wobble went away
nibnob21
Premium Member

3rd Jun 12 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at the original post, 4 new tyres

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, I think I've narrowed it down to the track rod ends. If you watch the video you'll see that all of the play in the wheels is horizontal. The video was taken with my girlfriend firmly holding the steering wheel so that it wasn't moving at all. The wheels respond perfectly to the tiniest movement of the steering wheel so that helps to rule out a worn rack.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

MX5 Project Thread
Jamie-C

4th Jun 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say thats the ball joint.
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 22:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like bottom ball joint mate as there was abit of play when you did it from top and bottom.

You wouldn't get that from track rod end,well not as much anyways,plus when it's on full lock that's when the ball joints are worse.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers guys. Hearing a few slightly conflicting views across a few forums so may just replace the track rod ends and the ball joints. Neither are too expensive and both are easy to change. I'm just glad it doesn't seem to be the rack lol.

Driver's side has an equally large amount of play in it too.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will these:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxhall_Corsa_1.4_1996/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/steering/track-rod-and-track-rod-end/?606725090&1&69141284a72d3859430f9c4eb24d7c7bf1d08279&000349

and these:

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxhall_Corsa_1.4_1996/p/car-parts/suspension-and-steering/suspension/suspension-arm-and-suspension-joints/?617720200&1&b91ac76c902ebe1ee8b577672a95c32f727cf719&000019

do? If so I can go and pick them up tomorrow and have them fitted by the end of the day. Really want this sorted asap so that the drive to PVS is ok.

MX5 Project Thread
Jamie-C

4th Jun 12 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea they will fit fine.
craig55

4th Jun 12 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will need tracking done again after track rod end
nibnob21
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grrr just noticed the ball joints are out of stock at the ECP in Coventry.

Yeah I know Craig, nevermind, 3rd time lucky lol.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 08:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone know if this cup style ball joint splitter will do the job for the track rod ends?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173425_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

Or will I have to get a scissor type splitter like this one?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_216931_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

Don't want to get a fork one.

MX5 Project Thread
corsadonk
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 08:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah track rod ends, mine was the same. I've got the second joint splitter, does the job every time.

Like you've said you might as well change the lot, for the sake of £60.

Also the bottom ball joints are different, on early and late Corsa's.

[Edited on 05-06-2012 by corsadonk]
nibnob21
Premium Member

5th Jun 12 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've noticed the difference with the ball joints. Some have a step in them whilst other's are just a straight angle. I'll be sure to get the right ones lol.

I've got a £10 Halfords voucher so neither tool will be expensive but if the cup one will do the job I'd rather save myself the tenner.

MX5 Project Thread
Mikey_j

5th Jun 12 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference in the ball joints iirc is the distance between the bolt holes. I wouldnt bother with a joint spliter just undo the bolt and give the knuckle a smack with a hammer next to the tre a few times and it will loosen.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll