corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Decking tiles in bin, boards are the future.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Decking tiles in bin, boards are the future.
mantamark

User status: Offline
7th Jun 12 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its all change again.

Had to shorten the deck as cant level the ground in one corner as there is a clay pipe right where i need to put a fence post! So left the ground as it is there and put the new posts in today. It means the deck will be 4.8m long instead of 5.4m. Which means i can use 8 tiles instead of 9.

Brainwave i thought! I can get a decen price on 4.8m deck boards, sell the tiles and they will cover the cost of the boards and extra joists.

New plan...

thoughts?
Colin

7th Jun 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forget about the deck tiles there total rubbish & will become a headache as there no support in them as there is with deck boards.

Dont get too caught up in where the posts are, so long as its supportive of the weight above it if you need to move one a bit then do so.
mantamark

7th Jun 12 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive forgotten about the deck tiles & have changed the plan to boards now, hence the new diagram.

Do people use leccy screwdrivers or drills to screw everything in? Worked out i need 520 screws for the boards :/
John

7th Jun 12 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A drill of course

Were you planning on doing it with a screwdriver?
Colin

7th Jun 12 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres a very quick sketch of what I done -

Colin

7th Jun 12 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Red blobs were my posts

Its very strong.
mantamark

7th Jun 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've only got an old ass clanker drill, i guess you all have fancy ones that can change speeds?

How high are your posts Colin? I think im going to use a slab with a 10cm lift from a post (post will be to top of joist)

And how far apart are your joists & noggins?
John

7th Jun 12 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've only got an acquired dewalt battery one with 3 dead batteries, you'll need to either get a drill or get a loan of one though.

You can get the screwdriver ones for cheap can you not.
mantamark

7th Jun 12 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know, i was just going to pop to lord tool hire and see what they had, may look into buying a new drill though as mine shoots sparks out the vents
Colin

8th Jun 12 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine isnt very high as I just wanted it the same height as the ground floor of the house, its perhaps 1" off the ground at the house wall falling to 2-3" at the far end.

Noggins, I cant remember off hand, just stuck 3 in the 1st one then went between those for the next one then reverted back & continued along. Doesnt need much science applied.
Colin

8th Jun 12 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tools -

Good sharp wood saw.
Electric drill.
Long drill bit got the coach screws (I bought a dewalt multi-purpose drill bit from screwfix) as you need to drill through 6" so need like an 8" bit.
Spirit level.
Decent spade, I used a proper pointed hole digging spade.

Think thats it.
mantamark

8th Jun 12 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After non stop rain i have a new problem.

Drainage.

Where the slabs were the rainwater isnt draining. Is there anything i can do?

I dont understand where it would normally go as there were never any puddles when the slabs were there?
Nismo

8th Jun 12 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would soak through the cement joining them and it would also disperse on the top and dry out quicker, its not a big problem. If it bothers you that much stick a fork in it and loosed the ground up, but when you have decking there it won't hardly get wet under it, but you must put weed prevention fabric down otherwise animals and weeds will have a field day under the decking.

What I would say is for every 1m of decking you should have a 10mm gradient so water flows off the decking, do not make it 100% level as it will weather bad.

Also what you may want to take into consideration is which way you position your planks, horizontal planks make your garden look wider, vertical plans make your garden look longer, i know its not a major factor but its the perspective it gives off.
mantamark

8th Jun 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its mainly clay so the drainage is pretty poor, ive used the road pins to make a bunch of 2ft holes in the area but it doesnt seem to help.

The posts will raise the decking frame 5cm above the slabs and i have some landscaping fabric from jewsons which is meant to be good stuff.
Ben G

8th Jun 12 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would just give up tbh. you've made a mountain out of a molehill. it's decking, not a castle.
mattk

8th Jun 12 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id get someone in to do it, if you dont even have a decent drill driver then it will be a pain in the arse

Love to see you do a pearler of a job at iit though so carry on
mantamark

8th Jun 12 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont see how i've made a mountain out of it?

I've never done anything like this so i'm asking sensible questions to get the info i need.

I dont have a drill, but like i said i was going to hire one, but decided to buy one now as i will probs use it more and get more of the little jobs done if i have a half decent one.

Dont see how its a problem if i have no experience of doing this. Drainage i thought would be an issue due to decking being made of wood and water under it may accelerate the rotting process?

I always take my time with stuff like this so i like to do a good job. Appologies if im taking too long or asking too many questions but im just not as awesome as you.
Ben G

8th Jun 12 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand where you're coming from but its just the length of time planning. Im the iinda guy who jumps in with both feet and hopes it works out.

A drill is a must. Without one, you cant really do any diy jobs.

Do you not have a friend who knows about this kind of thing? Im lucky in that my dad is the don at everything so he always helps/does my diy jobs.
mantamark

8th Jun 12 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh if the weather had been ok i would be done by now, no good playing with power tools in lashing down rain. Had thunder and hail yesterday. Fuck that.

I do like to plan everything out before i jump in, measure twice, cut once.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th Jun 12 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldn't bother hiring tools. you could get a decent cordless set for £150 quid as theres loads of screws to go in.
one thing i would say its a big deck for a first timer. don't make it that big just because the boards are 4.8m. the hardest part will be digging out all the holes for the posts. how high off the ground is it going to be?
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

9th Jun 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got this kit, batteries only take about 50 minutes to charge and theres two so one could be charging while you are using the other one, shop around online and you can get the set for £150
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck235-c2-14-4v-xr-combi-drill-impact-driver-twin-pack/35109
Nismo

11th Jun 12 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't listen to them,

If you don't try these things for yourself you will never know, you are making good progress and its the weather that has slowed you down.

Buy your own tools and you will be fine, its just decking you are not building a bridge or major construction
Colin

12th Jun 12 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip ignore that lot and start digging holes in the ground for posts.

Just remember measure 3 time and cut/screw/nail once

My decking started last october and I only finished in march !
Siberia

16th Jun 12 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

done mine last year.. i was sick of the garden looking like a swap/field.

cost about €800 (£600) and took about 2-3 full days

mantamark

16th Jun 12 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So did you just plonk some slabs down and place the frame on the top? How far apart are the slabs? Any bounce or noticed any sinking?

Weather has been utter shite here so got sod all done bar getting the fence posts in and fence panels in.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll