corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Decking tiles in bin, boards are the future.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Decking tiles in bin, boards are the future.
mantamark

User status: Offline
29th May 12 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, will rethink the posts! Like i say its a rough draft. Do i have the right amount of joists? Like i say, the b&q fram will be going on top of that and will have joists going the other direction, will this mean i wont need noggins on the base frame? Or best to put some in to reduce flex?

Went to jewsons for some prices, was hoping they'd do a length of 5.8 but max they do is 4.8 so will need 1m join towards the back end.

Came in at £247inc vat for 52m 6x2 for the base frame, 8x2.4m lengths of 38x63mm for the top joists, 2 boxes of 3" deck screws, 1 box of coachbolts, 5 bags of postcrete and 8 hangers for the base joists.

Forgot to price up 4x4 for the posts and still need the b&q tile frame which is about £70, so once its all totalled up inc the tiles it will cost about £380 not inc the 4x4 posts for a 5.8x2.4m deck. Which i dont think is too bad.

Nismo, if you were me, where would you place the posts? I dont have anything to anchor mine to, though i could use the fence posts for a bit of extra stability? Did you use a bag of postcrete per post?

After looking into it im going to leave the slabs where they are and use cement to clag two slabs together and use that as my frame on the paved area, then sink the 4x4 posts into the soil area.

Just had a friend over who has used tiles but he dug a 3" hole, filled with cement, allowed to harden then put the post onto that, but that doesnt sound right to me? Wont it sink over time?

Cheers fOr the help guys, that ultimate handyman site is pretty good, wish there was an example similar to mine.
Nismo

29th May 12 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it was me this is what my frame would be.

12 posts with supporting joists and a noggin between each row. That is still overkill imo but better to be safe than sorry.

a 3" aint that deep, i would have gone a bit deeper, but im sure its still fine, shouldn't move.

Have you thought about any lighting?

mantamark

29th May 12 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did think about putting the joists that way, but thought with the b&q frame putting the 38x63mm joists that way, there may not be enough support for them as they are placed every 60cm for the tiles to rest on. If that makes sense?
mantamark

29th May 12 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is my new design, based on yours but having the main supports running the longest length with noggins alternating through them. This will save about 6m of 3x2, any saving is a good saving.

This is the design the other lad used, a million posts and no noggins?

Colin

29th May 12 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt take any pics of mine as it was going up, but you want to get something a bit like this down there -

Colin

29th May 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then a few alternating noggins to knit it all together and add strength / reduce flex.
mantamark

29th May 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks pretty sweet. I see you went for lifting the flag and dropping the post in. Do you leave extra on the post then trim it off when you get the frame level?
Colin

29th May 12 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats not mine, just a pic I found on google of something similar to what I done.

Mine was very much like that, except I alternated noggins between the joists, and doubles up on the coach bolts where possible.

I spaced the noggins in a 3,4,3,4,3,4,3,4 type arrangement and it was very strong!!
Colin

29th May 12 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cutting the posts:

I made a mark on my spade the depth I needed to go down and cut them all the same size.
mantamark

29th May 12 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So your garden must be pretty level? Dont think i could do that on mine.

Would it be ok to use 4x2 for the noggins?
mantamark

29th May 12 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was going to mention the coach bolts but didnt want to annoy you! My noggins will be frame,2,3,2,3,2,frame. Will also be using speedy hangers on the joists aswell as 5x100mm screws.
Gary
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cut your posts after! See if any of your mates have laser levels, if not cut one to height then use a line and level.
Gary
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like this...

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=91902

Not the most accurate way but will be good enough for some decking.
mantamark

30th May 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Facepalm alert.

Decided since the pond is going, and the size is the same, im going to turn the decking 90 degrees so it sits along the back fence and goes up to the shed. This way the decking will get better sun.

The main advantage is that i can use the brickwork from the pond as support as they are sunk in about 2ft. And the area of soil is halved. Still the same design but should have better support off the wall. I think?

Gary that level is so simple but looks spot on, cheers.
mantamark

30th May 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mantamark

30th May 12 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and the fence panels will be replaced with 6ft high solid panels with 15cm gravel boards to give a bit extra height. And the pond wall will be reduced so its only one or teo bricks above ground level for the decking base.
Gary
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ever thought of just ripping it out and turfing the lot, would be far simpler
mantamark

30th May 12 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh hell aye. But the mrs wants a place to sit. I have enough slabs, i should just make it into a patio area instead. Be ar easier and less maintenance!
Gary
Premium Member

30th May 12 at 18:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about keeping the pond and putting a sheet of glass over it, eould be a cool feature
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

1st Jun 12 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i did mine i didnt use any posts

used old slabs as support
mantamark

2nd Jun 12 at 07:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you use mortar between the slabs to stop them moving? How did you attatch the frame to the slabs?

Did you have a solid base for the slabs?

Any pics of yours?

[Edited on 02-06-2012 by mantamark]
mantamark

2nd Jun 12 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a few more ideas & changed the plan a bit, hoping someone can give me some advice.

This is how the garden stood as of a few days ago...

and how it stands tonight...

Once i have finished breaking the pond up and back filled it with soil i am dismantling the old shed, renewing the fence posts & panels, then attempting my deck build.

I am going to put the deck running along the rear fence, butted up against the left hand fence, possibly using the fence posts to support the deck as they seem to be in the right place for what i need? then once the decking is done the new shed is going up where the old one was.

One of the problems i have is that although i am replacing the fence with a 6ft high one, and adding a 150mm gravel board to the bottom, the deck where i want it will be so high that i'll be looking over the other gardens when i stand up!

Let me explain, i got some b&q deck tiles (600x600mm) second hand but unused for a very good price. I have bought 6x2" for the base frame, but then the b&q frame that sits on means when its all bolted together the decking is 10" high. I was going to add one paving slab to the existing ones to allow for drainage & add some 100x100mm posts elsewhere for support. I would also be able to use the existing pond wall to support the frame.

So, how can i lower my deck? i have a few quick pics to try and show what i mean...

The brick on top of the 6x2 represents the height of the b&q frame with the tile on top.

The pond is 50cm lower than ground level, i was wondering if i could dig trenches along where the joists are going to go, then use the 4x4" posts sunk in with postcrete then gravel along the trench? or would this be no good?

I also did a quick plan for my base frame deck, the b&q deck will be fixed to this once i'm happy with it. Do i have enough posts/supports? Noggins etc? I have alrerady got the timber i need for this, but it wont be a problem gettin more.

Any help would be appreciated, i told the wife i'd take this week off & try to get it done, but i think i've bitten off more than i can chew so any help to get my head round this would be appreciated.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Jun 12 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no mortar. ripped up a slabbed patio area used 1 on each corner then about 10 more in random areas making sure they were level with each other.

was no need to attach the decking to anything because of it weight

John

3rd Jun 12 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that's straight onto the ground it will rot.
mantamark

4th Jun 12 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Todays progress, nearly got the ground levelled, less than 20% to go.

going with this plan, unless anyone has any comments about it?

Quite alot of waste :/

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll