corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheel wobble at 70+ and Under braking = help!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheel wobble at 70+ and Under braking = help!
richc

User status: Offline
18th May 12 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is mk4 golf. Noticed it had slight wheel wobble at 65 ish which gets worse the faster you go. The steering wheel is bouncing around at 90+. It also does the same when braking.

It had new discs and pads withing a 1000 miles of me having plus top shocker mounts also. Since buying it, ive put new arms on it (with all joints already pressed in), steering rack joint one on side, 2 new tires, and tracking done.

It still bloody wobbles like mad under braking and 'high speed'. Ive noticed a slight play still in one of the front wheels, if pulled in the 12 and 6 o clock posistion which i would suggust be a wheel bearing. But you have to pull and push hard and the movement is minimal. Would it really make that much of a difference? The noise is isnt just a vibration is more of a wobble/thud which seems extreme considering the very small amount of play.

Any help appreciated.

[Edited on 18-05-2012 by richc]
Ste
Premium Member

18th May 12 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steering and braking not working right so you drive at 90. Nice one!

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
nibnob21
Premium Member

18th May 12 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You sure they are balanced properly?

MX5 Project Thread
sc0ott

18th May 12 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check your tyres for bubbles etc
smcGSI16V

18th May 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you had a full alignment check done. And not the shit ones done at Kwik fit.
adiohead

18th May 12 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What tyres did you fit?
richc

18th May 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Steering and braking not working right so you drive at 90. Nice one!

Yes i found them to be faulty so I continued to do so, past a school at home time sticking two fingers up at the lollipop lady

To everyone else with usefull comments;

'You sure they are balanced properly'?

I cant be sure no. I had new tyres and they fitted them so without going to another outlet i cant check myself.

'Check your tyres for bubbles' etc

TBH, i havent told the full story. It was the same with the old tyres I then had new tyres after having the arms done and its not different. The tyres are some budget tyre, but the ones before were a premium brand and it was no different.

'Have you had a full alignment check done. And not the shit ones done at Kwik fit'

TBH, no. Ive only had it done at a kwik fit style place - but where else can i take the car?. I had to take it back once as they tracked it and they said 'perfect'. But my steering wheel was a good 20 degress off centre and they couldnt see the problem/or had the knowledge to fix it. An old guy who was working on another car did it in about 3 mins after being there for 1 hour!

adiohead

18th May 12 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

take it somewhere that gives you a before and after printout of alignment.

Budget tyres are known to cause noise and vibration, but as you said, it occurred before them.
tom130691
Premium Member

18th May 12 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheel bearing
disc run out

probably balancing though
richc

18th May 12 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/

take it somewhere that gives you a before and after printout of alignment.

Budget tyres are known to cause noise and vibration, but as you said, it occurred before them.

Cheers i will give them a call on my dinner.
Jenko_Sport

18th May 12 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

May have a buckled wheel too.
richc

18th May 12 at 11:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
wheel bearing
disc run out

probably balancing though

TBH, i thought it could of been a combination of both (unlucky i suppose). I wasnt sure of the discs though being so new (but nothing to say they are perfect from the factory).

I dont think the wheel balance would be out due to having another set of tires on and i would like two different people have dont it correctly?
Matt L

18th May 12 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

- are the tyres directional (if so are they going the right way?).
- tracking checked
- alignment checked
- balancing checked
- alloy itself buckled/mishapen
- uneven tyre wear?
- disks warped?
- all calipers working properly and not sticking?
- wheels fitted properly/tight?

i have the same issue on mine but im putting it down to tyres for now (mine doesnt affect breaking though).
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

18th May 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without reading every reply.

Check the rear wishbone bushes, they are prone to splitting.

Check the pads arent siezed in the carrier (I notice you had discs and pads done but were they fully cleaned or new pads just thrown in?)
richc

18th May 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
Without reading every reply.

Check the rear wishbone bushes, they are prone to splitting.

Check the pads arent siezed in the carrier (I notice you had discs and pads done but were they fully cleaned or new pads just thrown in?)

Rear wish bone bush been done on drivers side (was banging like a mother on long left bends). Havent got round to getting the other side done due to lack of tools - its in ok condition thought and nothing like the drivers side!

It brakes evenly in a straight line just wobbles/knocks like mad! Im gonna have to check each point mentiond in this thread and tick them off, when i get home.

Cheers folks
nathy_87

18th May 12 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well do <70mph then.
Archie
Organiser: Scotland
Premium Member

19th May 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you jacked the car up and checked for play?

Holding it at each side and shaking the wheel, and likewise holding it top and bottom?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

19th May 12 at 16:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It happens when you post in the wrong section
sc0ott

19th May 12 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ i thought you worked in a garage?
richc

19th May 12 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Archie
Have you jacked the car up and checked for play?

Holding it at each side and shaking the wheel, and likewise holding it top and bottom?

Yes.

Drivers side. 12 - 6 o clock posistion minimal play when pulling yet doesnt click or anything like that. 3 and 6 o clock posistion no play

Passenger side. 12 - 6 o clock posistion pulling has no play at all and doesnt in the 3-6 o clock posistion either.

Im going to take them to another place to get the tyres re-balanced. Would bad wheel balance cause vibration when braking though?
nibnob21
Premium Member

19th May 12 at 17:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

19th May 12 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nibnob21
You sure they are balanced properly?

TT was horrible to drive above 7Omph from buying it; dropped it to my mate's tyre place and although every tyre was brand new albeit budget, neither front wheel had a single weight on and the read ones were completely in the wrong place. Had them balanced, sweet as a nut now.

That had horrible vibrations back through the wheel and you had to grip really tightly to stop it wandering all over the place
nibnob21
Premium Member

19th May 12 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah when wheels aren't balanced properly they're horrible.

To be honest this sounds exactly like bad balancing to me. Steering wheel wobble at higher speeds but not lower speeds, and then also wobble in the steering wheel when braking are tell tale signs.

Doubt the small wheel bearing issue this guy has is helping though.

MX5 Project Thread
SXI - Matt

19th May 12 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had similar was horrible to drive had a 6 hour round trip todo when I really noticed it, took it to tanvic tyres, turned out one wheel had no weights and the other half were missing, to add to it tracking was miles out, felt like new after finally sit at 70/80 on the motorway with out having to slow down when it started to fit
3i_gaz

19th May 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lower arm bushes. The rear bushes are a common thing for going, replace them with ones from a TT.

Get em for about 38 quid from Todd for the pair! Makes the car feel much more positive too!

Balancing wouldn't effect wobble under braking.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll