corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ring insurance

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ring insurance
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
16th May 12 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apologies if this has been covered but its just come up on another forum and I thought you pros might be able to help.

Does anyone know where you can get cover for -

Your own car

Damage to the track

Damage to third parties

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Ian]
Graham88

16th May 12 at 04:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't. There may be a small company somewhere that coveres third party, but certainly your car & barriers aren't covered. Most companies have small printed the Nurburgring now.

Only way to do is register your car as German

[Edited on 16-05-2012 by Graham88]
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 06:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep allianz policy only way
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 06:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although technically iv heard rumours uk insurers cannot exclude the ring even if it says in the small print, just noones challenged them about it
gazza808

16th May 12 at 06:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
although technically iv heard rumours uk insurers cannot exclude the ring even if it says in the small print, just noones challenged them about it

Well I read an article on this subject the other day, about a couple of insurance companies that were forced to pay out,
They then counter sued the policy holders to claw back the costs.

Fuckers.
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 06:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wonder on what grounds
Steve
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 06:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

at least you would get to pay them on in smaller chunks though haha
Fonz
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i went to the 'Ring (Aug 2010) my mate and i took out insurance with Morris
http://www.moris.co.uk/

this covered us for the cost of our car.
my MX5 £2000
his MINI CooperS - £9000

but did not cover us for third party or track damage
John

16th May 12 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely the insurance company can do what they want?

If it says clearly that the ring isn't covered, then you try and claim on the ring, they are completely, and fairly, allowed to say no?
gazza808

16th May 12 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's the big thing of insurance companies try to say its a race track,

When the ring was suing the insurance companies the courts said the ring was classed as a toll road not a race track, which is why they were made to pay out.
Have to admit I always read through my insurance policy and not once have I ever seen any thing about the ring, just the normal road rally, time trials etc.
John

16th May 12 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it doesn't say on the policy that's fine.

If it specifically says on your policy (of which I've seen a couple of times on my own) then it's irrelevant what it's classed as.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 09:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Admiral say in the small print its not covered
Nismo

16th May 12 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im pretty sure there is a company who covers you for everything on the ring, something like adak

read this:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/insurance.php
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

16th May 12 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they just cover the recovery fee if you breakdown
happy-kat

31st May 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great replies thank you.
Found this one that will ensure you for Ring damage (ha ha).
http://www.nurburgmotorsport.com/Insurance-FAQ.html
With a previous policy I had full cover but my new policy excludes it in name. Though the original policy provider now too also excludes it.
The third party risk exposure element is the bit that scares me and that unknown risk of whether the insurer will cough up but then sue the policy holder to reclaw it, and if it were a fatality etc. then boy the damages could be very high.
I am lucky to have experienced it once.

[Edited on 31-05-2012 by happy-kat]
hbutler

31st May 12 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got cover from motorsportinsuranceservices, or mis I think there called these days. Had quite a high excess and was mainly for cover of the car, not the circuit etc but it wasn't expensive and gave me some sort of peace of mind
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

1st Jun 12 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adac will give you recovery from the ring so you don't get charged (for the recovery anyway)

You can get get insurance for TF but I think it only covers the car? I'm not totally sure.

By law insurance companies are suppose to cover you for third party on all roads in the EU yet they try to exclude the ring in the fine print, however this doesn't mean they can do it.

I've heard stories of people fighting it, getting a big bill and saying lol ok send it to my insurance, the insurance will pay out but then chase you. I heard a story the other day that someone was able to fight it and win because of the whole EU third party law thing. Its a toll road by definition iirc, but insurance companies may refer it as a 'prepared racecourse'
stan_the_man

1st Jun 12 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL @ Thread Title.....
Butler

2nd Jun 12 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

They can't legally exclude the ring because its a public road, but your if your policy states that cover excludes the ring, you will still end up paying. Basically if you have an accident, your insurance company will be forced to pay out, but because it states that on your policy they can legally demand the money they payout back from you.

MIS do ring insurance, worth a go...
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Jun 12 at 11:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah thats what I read to. But what iv heard is they aren't allowed to exclude it even if it says in the small print
John

2nd Jun 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What law says they can't exclude it?

Surely they can exclude what they want if it's written in the policy, which you should have read, so will be aware of it.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Jun 12 at 17:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
A UK insurer must not exclude minimum level cover anywhere in an EU member state in a place where insurance is mandatory. Any clause in an insurance policy seeking to exclude mandatory cover is of no effect. The cover required by law is minimum level cover. Therefore, third party only. Your insurance policy will very likely contain a clause which says that if the insurer is obliged to meet a claim it otherwise would not pay then the insurer is entitled to reclaim the settlement from the driver.

Kinda like when you sign a contract to work for someone and it has clauses that break employment law, which is quite common
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jun 12 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You only insure against your third party obligations under Road Traffic Act though, recovering your own expenses is a contract between the provider and the policyholder, there's no legal reason for them to be forced in to doing anything in respect of first party risks.

I would guess they'd pay out in order that bodyshops/finance people etc. aren't left out of pocket if you've already appointed a repairer or its written off and there's a finance interest but they're then within their rights - and by the looks of things its an increasing popular route - to make efforts to recover it from the policyholder.
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Jun 12 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you'd be insured 3rd party on the ring
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jun 12 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Assuming the fact its not in the UK doesn't get in the way. But yeah, that's what they must provide in the UK.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ring insurance 22 database queries in 0.1025491 seconds