corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » *My 20XE smoke grey sport

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author *My 20XE smoke grey sport
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Jun 12 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly what it needed

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
*CorsaCal*

11th Jun 12 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny W
Awesome! glad your pleased with the new lights, they look ace fitted

Cheers mate. Yer im chuffed with em!

Thanks alot darryl!

[Edited on 11-06-2012 by *CorsaCal*]
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id like opinions please
Today i was wiring my fogs in and got bored so i decided to see what the Porsche cookie cutters would look like on my car (pics below) But i was then offered some BBS wheels off a BMW i think. They are 4x100 stud pattern and so i wanna make this work. The only problem being my wheels are ET49 and these are ET29 so i am sure arch work will be required. Has anyone fitted wheels like this and if so can they confirm that arch work will be needed? Cheers.

Danny W
Organiser: East Midlands
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 20:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Cal both wheels would look fantastic, at et 29 and that width, with the right choice in tyres the fronts would fit no issues. Rear would need arch work. I'd recommend rolling the arch beneath the plastic trim to flare it out rather than cutting and grinding like some people do. You'd have to camber the rear wheels aswell to avoid any scrubbing when lowered and loaded. Need any help buddy give me a shout.

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yes Cal both wheels would look fantastic, at et 29 and that width, with the right choice in tyres the fronts would fit no issues. Rear would need arch work. I'd recommend rolling the arch beneath the plastic trim to flare it out rather than cutting and grinding like some people do. You'd have to camber the rear wheels aswell to avoid any scrubbing when lowered and loaded. Need any help buddy give me a shout.

You are a god mate!! Yer i definately want to go with them BBS wheels. What size tyres would you recommend? When you say rolling the arch you basically mean tapping the metal arch outward to give enough clearance? Cheers
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Euro look Cal? Will look the dogs danglys.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Paul W
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 20:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have to admit, cookie cutters would be boss dude. As Dan says though, should be able to get them to fit easy enough

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DansCorsaSXi
Euro look Cal? Will look the dogs danglys.

Cheers mate! Im not going for Euro look specifically just love both them sets of wheels!

Cheers Paul, Ive allways had in the back of my mind fitting cookies but straight away i held them BBS wheels up to my car i Knew if i could i would! So im tryna find out how much work is involved in getting the BBS wheels to fit. As we all know Danny is the genius behind this sort of thing
Danny W
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by *CorsaCal*
quote:

You are a god mate!! Yer i definately want to go with them BBS wheels. What size tyres would you recommend? When you say rolling the arch you basically mean tapping the metal arch outward to give enough clearance? Cheers

Haha, I've tried and tested when trying to get mine to fit at different widths lol BBS's do look great ands makes it easier that they are 4x100 like you say. Fronts would fit fine with a 185/45 profile and wouldn't look stretched on a 6.5 inch wide rim. Rears can be made to work with the same profile or to make it easier go for a slightly skinnier tyre. (im personally running 185/45 both front and rear but my rear wheels are 7.5 inch wide, fronts 7 to give you some idea) Yep just flaring the metal arch out to give extra clearance, can be done by hammer or I have a proper arch rolling tool if needed

Also worth thinking about, you'd be limited to what make of tyres are available in those sizes and wouldn't be as good to tyres your used to if you intend to do more track days.. But could keep softstars for track maybe?

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
Danny W
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add, you could go even skinnier in tyre widths and fit something like a bridgestone potenza at 165/50/15 this will look stretched on 6.5j rim ( I'll add a quick pic for you in a mo ) totally depends how you'd want it to look and drive

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Haha, I've tried and tested when trying to get mine to fit at different widths lol BBS's do look great ands makes it easier that they are 4x100 like you say. Fronts would fit fine with a 185/45 profile and wouldn't look stretched on a 6.5 inch wide rim. Rears can be made to work with the same profile or to make it easier go for a slightly skinnier tyre. (im personally running 185/45 both front and rear but my rear wheels are 7.5 inch wide, fronts 7 to give you some idea) Yep just flaring the metal arch out to give extra clearance, can be done by hammer or I have a proper arch rolling tool if needed

Also worth thinking about, you'd be limited to what make of tyres are available in those sizes and wouldn't be as good to tyres your used to if you intend to do more track days.. But could keep softstars for track maybe?

Cheers mate well i think ive gotta get some tyres fitted and try them to see what happens. If yours are 7.5 inch wide i might even get away without arch work? I suppose ive gotta try n see what happens. Thanks for you help mate
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Just to add, you could go even skinnier in tyre widths and fit something like a bridgestone potenza at 165/50/15 this will look stretched on 6.5j rim ( I'll add a quick pic for you in a mo ) totally depends how you'd want it to look and drive

Cheers mate. Im not sure about stretching tyres but i suppose itd give more tuck under the arch?
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last ones for sure!

I remember you saying on the weekend how you were going to give me your softstars for free wasn't it?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H
Last ones for sure!

I remember you saying on the weekend how you were going to give me your softstars for free wasn't it?

Thats it yer totally free

How are my wheels better than yours?
Danny W
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers mate well i think ive gotta get some tyres fitted and try them to see what happens. If yours are 7.5 inch wide i might even get away without arch work? I suppose ive gotta try n see what happens. Thanks for you help mate

yep best way is to fit some tyres and go from there then you know exactly what clearances youve got to play with. id hazzard a guess and say you'd need very slight arch work or camber at that size and offset. How low is the car on the back?

just to help explain and show you what some widths look like this is my bbs at 6.5j et.33
http://www.corsa-d.co.uk/carimages/6541/drivers_side_new_arch.jpg

Same width plus camber to get the wheel tucking more here (185/45/15 tyre):
http://www.corsa-d.co.uk/carimages/6541/dscf0340.jpg

rebuilt to 7j width et.26.7 (185/45/15) : this means there is roughly 12.7mm LESS clearance against the arch i needed slight arch flare and to raise the back end up slightly
http://www.corsa-d.co.uk/carimages/6541/trax3.jpg

rebuilt again to 7.5j width et.20.3 (185/45/15) : this means there is roughly 25.4mm LESS clearance againt the arch, and ive had to do extensive work to flare the arch a lot of rolling and measuring & add more camber.
http://www.corsa-d.co.uk/carimages/9482/photo6.JPG

And this is a 6.5j rim with a 165/50/15 profile tyre: (personally i didnt like how this looked or drove but it would give more 'tuck' under the arch)
http://www.corsa-d.co.uk/carimages/6541/212.jpg

sorry for the essay but i hope it helps you out

[Edited on 12-06-2012 by Danny W]

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This helps alot mate! Im not sure how low the back is im guessing 50-60mm. I think the top 2 pictures will be the sort of thing id be going for. How did you manage to adjust the camber on the rear because as far as i know my rear has fixed camber? Thanks again mate!
Danny W
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good stuff the top 2 pics are from when i used FK springs 2nd with the adjustable plate removed (fk highsport kit) so that was around -60-70mm ish.

the camber is fixed on the corsa b but you can space the stub axel on the beam to force some camber. Eibach have started selling camber shims for the corsa b http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Rear-Camber-Shims-Vauxhall-Corsa-B-93-01-/280739798761?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d655ee9

which is a similar way to using washers on the bottom 2 stub axel bolts. Failing that its a matter of getting something mocked up to sandwich between the beam and stub axel at a set angle/degree

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
*CorsaCal*

12th Jun 12 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Good stuff the top 2 pics are from when i used FK springs 2nd with the adjustable plate removed (fk highsport kit) so that was around -60-70mm ish.

the camber is fixed on the corsa b but you can space the stub axel on the beam to force some camber. Eibach have started selling camber shims for the corsa b http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eibach-Rear-Camber-Shims-Vauxhall-Corsa-B-93-01-/280739798761?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415d655ee9

which is a similar way to using washers on the bottom 2 stub axel bolts. Failing that its a matter of getting something mocked up to sandwich between the beam and stub axel at a set angle/degree

Ah them shims look good. Thanks for all your help! ill have another look tomorrow and will probs get some tyres on over nest few days. Thanks again
Danny W
Premium Member

12th Jun 12 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No worries Cal, glad to help just give us a shout if you need anything else mate. will be watching the progress though

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
*CorsaCal*

13th Jun 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive trial fitted both the front and rears today without tyres just to see how much clearance im going to have and the answer is none Still im getting some tyres tomorrow hopefully. Some pics showing the wheels sticking out!

They are going to look mith though!!!!

carl roper

13th Jun 12 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your really set on them you could have the mounting face shaved off slightly, increasing the ET but then that depends how thick the mounting face is and how much you want to spend
*CorsaCal*

13th Jun 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by carl roper
If your really set on them you could have the mounting face shaved off slightly, increasing the ET but then that depends how thick the mounting face is and how much you want to spend

Thanks but im not going to do that id rather pull the arches. Cheers anyway mate.
*CorsaCal*

13th Jun 12 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone know if all BBS centre caps are the same size as this set only has three so gotta find another to match or another set? Cheers.
Danny W
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 11:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good Cal you'll be able to get them to fit fine imo, slight roll of the arch etc. poss camber the rear slightly and it'll run without scrubbing, just takes a bit of time to get it right

BBS centre caps do vary slightly, have you got a pic of the 3 you've got?

Smoke Grey 5 Door

EastMids Regional Events
*CorsaCal*

16th Jun 12 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Looking good Cal you'll be able to get them to fit fine imo, slight roll of the arch etc. poss camber the rear slightly and it'll run without scrubbing, just takes a bit of time to get it right

BBS centre caps do vary slightly, have you got a pic of the 3 you've got?

Cheers yup i think so too. Ive still gotta order some of thm csmber spacers.
I havent got a pic showing the 3 off the wheel but one is on ( i know its not clipped in properly) in one of the photos at the top. I can get a pic of just the center caps on monday though? There some nice black ones on ebay. Do i just need to make sure the external diameter of the clip bit and of the circle ring bit are the same? Cheers.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » *My 20XE smoke grey sport 24 database queries in 0.1101999 seconds