corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Raspberry Pi

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Raspberry Pi
noshua

User status: Offline
27th Jun 12 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, got it all installed and running. Played an 8GB MKV rip (ESiR release) of Dark Knight and Die Hard perfect, as soon as you start it (first 2-3 seconds) there's a slight pause but that's it, no stuttering or anything. Skipping 10mins at a time (up arrow) results in a bit of pixelation for a second or two again but that's it.

Subtitles are enabled by default in Openelec, pretty annoying but I disabled it straight away. Remote control via HTTP isn't enabled so you'll have to connect a USB mouse or keyboard to turn that on.

Tried a 700MB XviD rip of Jason Manford at the Apollo (HAGGIS release) and it played fine, no stuttering or anything.

You can navigate menus (esc out so that the video is still playing) perfectly fine.

EDIT: Davey, I don't see how you said it was 'useless as a media player' in the other thread? All mine were from a USB HDD.

[Edited on 27-06-2012 by noshua]
John

27th Jun 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stuck raspmc on an SD card the other night but not got a chance to try it out yet.

Is it just standard windows share's you're using as well?
noshua

27th Jun 12 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just edited my post above to say it was a 2TB USB HD. Just transfering the 8GB Dark Knight rip and Jason Manford 700MB rip over to my laptop now and will try them.

I used the Raspbmc installer and it just froze on the Raspbmc logo for some reason. Openelec is supposed to be the better one at the minute I think anyway.
John

27th Jun 12 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's been times with both I've had to take the power out a couple of times to get them to boot.
noshua

27th Jun 12 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I rebooted it once and it did the same so just formatted and put OpenELEC on.

Just tried it over SMB (laptop on wireless, rPi on Ethernet), just the same as before apart from navigating menus - a little slower but nothing dramatic.
Dom

27th Jun 12 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raspbmc RC3 is suppose to be a big improvement over RC2; might be worth trying that if you can.

noshua, it seems that you're having better luck with it than a lot of people. But to clarify, you're not having issues with the on-screen menu when you're playing media (i assume you've tried with 'full fat' HD material)?
Keep us posted though as i'm still in two minds whether or not to get one for a small menu player.

noshua

27th Jun 12 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OpenELEC works fine for me and did the first time - I can't be bothered messing around trying to figure out why Raspbmc doesn't work as I used the 1 click installer but it just froze on their icon, even when rebooting. Quite strange.

I only ever download 720p MKV rips and XviD DVDRips (when 720p MKV isn't available). I can download a 1080p MKV sample and try that - unless you mean m2ts or whatever they are?

What menus are you talking about / want me to test? The small menu that appears at the bottom which allows you to adjust audio, video and bookmarks? Or going back into the main menu and navigating through libraries, settings, etc?
noshua

27th Jun 12 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried 3 1080p samples (from scene rips) and they work fine, over SMB they stutter every so often but I reckon that's the wireless on my laptop.

From local or USB they're fine - Dom I'd go for it, for the price they can't be beat and there's no noise at all. After all it's not like a Sumvision product or A TV which only does one thing - swap the SD card and you can have an OS. Obviously navigating through the video / tv or other menus is slower than an x86 PC as they're much quicker - but it's nothing to get your knickers in a twist over and once you're watching something it's perfect.

I'm gonna buy my mum one so she can watch earlier episodes of series she forgets to record or the odd film

[Edited on 27-06-2012 by noshua]
Rob_Quads

27th Jun 12 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully my 2 will turn up sometime. 1 to play around as a media center etc, the other to design a Central Heating control system
John

27th Jun 12 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just gave rasbmc a go, straight from an smb share, same problems on various files, constantly stuttering.

What resolution are you outputting to noshua?
Dom

27th Jun 12 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Just gave rasbmc a go, straight from an smb share, same problems on various files, constantly stuttering.

What resolution are you outputting to noshua?

That with RC3? What material are you trying to play?
John

27th Jun 12 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RC3 yip, 720 and 1080p downloads, most of my stuff seems to be the same format, all mkv's.

I've just broken openelec again trying to update it, giving it a break for tonight.
noshua

27th Jun 12 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

720p, my tv or the living room one does 1080p.

720p over SMB worked fine earlier; watched about half an hour of dark knight (720p mkv 8gb) and about 45min of Jason manford (700mb xvid avi).

Quite suprised 720p doesn't work; SMB must take a bit more processing power for it to stutter on 1080p vs local or USB storage otherwise it'd work fine.

Are you using the openelec image I mentioned above?
John

27th Jun 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was 2 builds of openelec behind, wouldn't boot when I tried the latest update.

I'll try 720p tomorrow.
noshua

29th Jun 12 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How'd you get on John? I decided to leave my Acer Revo turned off and watch a film through the rPi last night to see if there was any hiccups.

Was perfect.
John

29th Jun 12 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't get around to it, because all my stuff is hidden away it's a right pain to swap this around all the time.

I should get a chance over the weekend.

<<  4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll