corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of selling the MK5 Astra - advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thinking of selling the MK5 Astra - advice
Mertin

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 12 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesels take longer to warm up than a petrol does, this is probably why their not good for short journeys. Also, my diesels horrible and pretty noisy and not smooth to drive around town when cold. Something to consider if the cars not going to be getting up to temperature daily.
When people say the outright cost of buying a diesel is more, doesnt this generally apply to buying a brand new car? Second hand I dont think Iv noticed a massive difference, maybe 1k?
John

22nd Jan 12 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People who say that don't take into account that it's also worth more to sell.
ash_corsa

22nd Jan 12 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MatthewR
Im selling my XP aswell mate for the exact same reasons!!

Me too! lol!

[Edited on 22-01-2012 by ash_corsa]
Fonz
Premium Member

23rd Jan 12 at 10:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Proof SRi
no , smsll petrol is ut of the question, well to a point, ive had 1.2s in the past and they aint great on fuel coz you have to work them so hard, also theres no fun what so ever.

would only consider a 1.4 maybe, though the new corsa 1.4s are bloody slow

Not really considered the 1.3dcdti as i assumed it would be pants even when boxed tbh.

The 1.7cdti seems to get good comments

I dont seem to understand some people saying that a diesel is not very good at short journeys stopping and starting. Yes i know that they are made for long journeys but why do taxi drivers use them if they werent benefiting some how.

Most people who own a reasonably powered diesel and do lo miles havent had a complaint and seem to still be getting good mpg.

Baring in mind ones without a dpf as i know low miles in diesels with a dpf can have issues

you started the thread saying you and the gf are looking at saving money, not looking for a cheap fun runaround so i can't see your argument for not looking at a 1.2 engine.

it will be cheaper on insurance, tax and be more efficient around town. yes you have to "work them hard" but you state you're driving short town journeys which won't give you chance to need to work it hard. in my experience (1.0 Nova current, former owner of a 1.0 Corsa B) the low engine cars are great if you want to save money, i regularly got 40-45mpg better when on long journies and although slow didnt offer as disadvantage to a bigger engine when around town.

a taxi driver is a professional driver, the car they use does not simply travel 20miles to work in the morning and back again. the mileage they do in a week would be higher than most do in a month. they benefit because those cars are driving many more miles.

your firends who don't complain about diesels and claim high mpgs speak the truth - there is no denying a diesel can give you 50+mpg, but at what cost?
diesel fuel is 10p/litre more than petrol at the moment. although the MPG value would be higher, you'd be paying at least £5 more each time you filled up!

my GF recently changed her car from a a 1.9 diesel Polo to a 1.4 Jazz.
The Polo was capable and regularly reached (a calculated) 50-55 mpg, but cost £60 to fill up every 450-500 miles.
the Jazz has a MPG readout and she now gets 52mpg regularly, on Saturday when we filled up it only costs her £48, which despite the smaller size tank, still lasts 400-420 miles.
that is a considerable saving on fuel alone.
she is also saving £100 on tax, the Polo for 6 months is only a little less than the whole year on the Jazz.
Bullet Proof SRi

23rd Jan 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt consider a corsa or fiesta 1.2 tbh and they are the only smaller cars i tend to care for.

ive owned a 1.2 corsa and it was bloody boring, yes it would do the job for our weekly miles but when we go out at weekends and do longer journeys it would be a nightmare again
gez bay

23rd Jan 12 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked at a Clio 1.5 DCi?

£30 tax, 55+ mpg.

[Edited on 23-01-2012 by gez bay]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of selling the MK5 Astra - advice 22 database queries in 0.0123260 seconds