corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of selling the MK5 Astra - advice

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thinking of selling the MK5 Astra - advice
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
20th Jan 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically me and the GF are looking to move out and just went to look at a house, though we dont want it we are looking at ways we can save some money.

Tax prices if purchased every 6 months

The SRI XP 1.8vvt is costing,
tax - £105 for 6 months - £210 a year
insurance - £540 a year
Petrol - due to the short journeys around town we get 90 miles - £20 give or take 5 miles

Cars to consider
Astra 1.7cdti - due to the size of the car its gonna be beneficial in the future
tax - £63 6 months - £126 a year
insurance - £450 a year
Petrol - having never owned a diesel i wouldnt know what costs are involved in running it, as said we do very short journeys in town, i know diesels need to warm up but i would still hope it would be better then current

Alternatives
Corsa D 1.4 - 1.7 SRI
Fiesta mk7 Zetec S 1.6

Tax on the corsa is cheaper at
£52 6 months - £104 a year
Tax on the fiesta is the same as the astra 1.7
Insurance is all about the same price, being cheaper then current and fuel economy i would expect to be better , i think.

I know theres probably many other options but ie gone with the obvious choices

Problem is my GF loves the astra and she would like to keep it , which is why i mention the 1.7, if we had to pick another car i we would probably go smaller as we dont like many other large cars

advice please

[Edited on 22-01-2012 by Bullet Proof SRi]
MatthewR

20th Jan 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im selling my XP aswell mate for the exact same reasons!!

Im thinking mk6 fiesta or Corsa
Ben J

20th Jan 12 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wife has a 1.7CDTI Astra H

It does the job. its the 100bhp version so goes pretty well. Obv fuel consumption is way better than a petrol would be. Not sure on her exact mpg tho.

The 1.7 is a noisy beast tho. Sounds like a tractor.
Tom

20th Jan 12 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Throw in the cost of trading one for the other, plus more expensive diesel and it probably doesn't make much sense unless you do massive miles.
Fonz
Premium Member

20th Jan 12 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they say you need to be doing over 12k mileage a year to begin to consider a diesel due to the higher cost in ownership/running etc to gain any financial benefit.

if all your doing is short town journies i would have thought a 1.2 would be adequate, it will end up being more economical on MPG, plus itis likely to have lower insurance and tax with it. ou can't miss the power as it is only town driving.

[Edited on 20-01-2012 by Fonz]
MatthewR

20th Jan 12 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good advice Fonz
Scotty_B

20th Jan 12 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Astra H 1.3 CDTi mapped will give you 120bhp and 200Ib ft torque.

Cheap tax, excellent MPG and nippy-ish.
AndyCorsaSport

20th Jan 12 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be happy with those prices. Although house prices down south are more.

I'm starting saving with the missus for a house and looking for a 106 GTi which will cost me just short of £1k a year insurance. £200 ish tax, then fuel on top. I don't see the point of getting a 1.2, cause you have to drive them quite hard to get anywhere, currently using a 1.2 punto and it's trip says average of 30.2 mpg. I'd get the same from the 106 and it's much more fun. I'm still aiming to save £400 a month towards a deposit and I'm on a shit wage!!
andys sxi
Premium Member

20th Jan 12 at 14:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a nice seat Ibiza cupra you can buy andy, I'm looking for a Astra myself but I want the 150bhp diesel

April 08 feature car
Rob H

20th Jan 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally - If your doing short runs, a diesel will be of no benifit and will be mor elikely to fuck up as they're not really designed for it - Even more so if it's a newer one with a DPF.

IF you really want to save money - look at selling the astra and getting something older - may aswell get some money back out the car to put towards the house/save on car payments.
John

20th Jan 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you taken into account cost to change in all of these and not just the running costs?

Diesels are fine for short runs, just give it a blast every so often.

GF has done 10 miles a day for most of the life of her 1.3cdti corsa and it's had no problems.

I've had about a million diesels all doing 20 miles a day and none of them have had problems either.

Yes you may get one with an issue but you could also get a petrol with a problem.

[Edited on 20-01-2012 by John]
Mark.W

20th Jan 12 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought about doing the same a few weeks ago but for a tdi golf 140 but id lose 3k just in a year for what i paid for it if i pxd it in and would have to put 1k towards the golf and is 4 years older than my mk5 astra 1.6T im getting the same mpg as you mate only 90miles - £20

So will probably just keep the Astra and run it it for a couple years.
cunningham

20th Jan 12 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
I'd be happy with those prices. Although house prices down south are more.

I'm starting saving with the missus for a house and looking for a 106 GTi which will cost me just short of £1k a year insurance. £200 ish tax, then fuel on top. I don't see the point of getting a 1.2, cause you have to drive them quite hard to get anywhere, currently using a 1.2 punto and it's trip says average of 30.2 mpg. I'd get the same from the 106 and it's much more fun. I'm still aiming to save £400 a month towards a deposit and I'm on a shit wage!!

1.2 punto 30.2mpg? ive got one as a run around an its 49.5 mpg lol
stan_the_man

20th Jan 12 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Short journeys and diesels is not a good mix!

The fuel it's self costs more and youre getting poor MPG if it's cold.

I'd consider a smaller petrol engine TBH.
Bullet Proof SRi

20th Jan 12 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no , smsll petrol is ut of the question, well to a point, ive had 1.2s in the past and they aint great on fuel coz you have to work them so hard, also theres no fun what so ever.

would only consider a 1.4 maybe, though the new corsa 1.4s are bloody slow

Not really considered the 1.3dcdti as i assumed it would be pants even when boxed tbh.

The 1.7cdti seems to get good comments

I dont seem to understand some people saying that a diesel is not very good at short journeys stopping and starting. Yes i know that they are made for long journeys but why do taxi drivers use them if they werent benefiting some how.

Most people who own a reasonably powered diesel and do lo miles havent had a complaint and seem to still be getting good mpg.

Baring in mind ones without a dpf as i know low miles in diesels with a dpf can have issues

[Edited on 20-01-2012 by Bullet Proof SRi]
Corsa_Sport21

20th Jan 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like for like, a diesel WILL cost less to run fuel wise.

I was under the same impression that it wouldn't, until my work mate proved me wrong when he went from a 1.3 16v petrol Hyundai Accent to a 1.6 HDi 206.

Hyundai, he was filling the tank which lasted him 4 weeks. All he does is back and forth to work less than 1 mile from his house, and a shopping trip once a month. And a few other short journeys to visit family on the odd occassion.
He puts the same amount of fuel in the 206, does the same amount of driving etc, and that lasts him 6 weeks.

[Edited on 20-01-2012 by Corsa_Sport21]
Corsa_Sport21

20th Jan 12 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and he recently traded the 206 in for a Mk5 Astra SRi 1.8 and he says its killing him on the fuel. Trip comp is showing 30.4mpg.
He was warned before he got it that it wont be a patch on the 206. The silly cunt read the owners manual at the dealers and seen that it would do 47mpg. What he didn't realise is that was extra urban and not average mpg.
John

20th Jan 12 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always thought 40mpg wasn't that good in my diesel but I'm down to 23 in a petrol and I certainly notice the difference.
Bullet Proof SRi

20th Jan 12 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

astra is pretty good on a run tbh but i rarely do long runs
AndyCorsaSport

21st Jan 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Proof SRi
no , smsll petrol is ut of the question, well to a point, ive had 1.2s in the past and they aint great on fuel coz you have to work them so hard, also theres no fun what so ever

[Edited on 20-01-2012 by Bullet Proof SRi]

This is what i meant with the 1.2 punto getting 30.2mpg I don't drive like a twat but it's so under powered you have to have your foot down all the time to get it to go!
Bullet Proof SRi

21st Jan 12 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly considering it was a 1.2 i wouldnt say it was that great on fuel
Ben G

21st Jan 12 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where are you getting these tax prices from? 6 months tax isn't the same price as 12 months, unless you just made those up.

mk7 zetec s' are nice but you're better off getting the titanium trim with the street pack,17's and sideskirts as you get more standard equipment for less money.
Bullet Proof SRi

22nd Jan 12 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
where are you getting these tax prices from? 6 months tax isn't the same price as 12 months, unless you just made those up.

mk7 zetec s' are nice but you're better off getting the titanium trim with the street pack,17's and sideskirts as you get more standard equipment for less money.

i havent made up the tax prices, thats how much they are if buying them 6 months at a time, as if money is gonna be tighter we may decide to buy tax every 6 months
Ben G

22nd Jan 12 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 months at a time costs more than a full 12 months though mate.
Bullet Proof SRi

22nd Jan 12 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
6 months at a time costs more than a full 12 months though mate.

yes i know it does, i dont think you understand what i said.

Yes 12months tax paid upfront gets you a bit of a cheaper deal, but also like i said the prices i put up are for if i have to buy tax 6 months at a time so therefor i have wrote 12 months tax to show the figure i may spend on tax over a year, MAY SPEND

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of selling the MK5 Astra - advice 23 database queries in 0.0972972 seconds