corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New TV

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New TV
Terry12

User status: Offline
2nd Jan 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the market for a new TV, I'll be looking around 42". It's going to be wall mounted, What's the best type of screen for £400-500?
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Jan 12 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Panasonic S30 or G30 seems to be a very popular choice in that budget.
Not very modern design, but picture quality is splendid.

Terry12

2nd Jan 12 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's best then. LCD, Plasma or 3D?
Balling
Premium Member

2nd Jan 12 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both LCD and Plasma can be 3D.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=623684

Toby
Premium Member

2nd Jan 12 at 20:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

G30 is a great bit of kit, I have the g20 (few years old now) and its still a great TV
Terry12

2nd Jan 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the link, Having a look now.
I have a Philips LCD at the moment which i've had for years and never let me down. How are their TV's now?
Terry12

2nd Jan 12 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the bets type for using my Xbox on, I know both LCD and plasma have their virtues. Just wondered generally which is best for gaming.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Jan 12 at 08:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't find a particular technology better for gaming tbh. Plasma should have a slight edge with better refresh rates, but in reality, I haven't felt the difference my self.

I have heard a few people complaining about input lag on some devices, but as far as I understand, these are model specific issues and not related to the screen technology.

As for Philips, I'm not sure that any one brand can be said to generally produce screens of a higher quality.
For me, I found that they didn't deliver as much as the competitors when it came to features, design and quality, but this is undoubtedly partially a personal preference.

Terry12

3rd Jan 12 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Balling

It looks like the best option is to go into a shop and compare the TV's for myself and see which I personally find the best picture and has best features.
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Jan 12 at 10:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
Cheers Balling

It looks like the best option is to go into a shop and compare the TV's for myself and see which I personally find the best picture and has best features.

Definitely! Just remember to read up on the screens. The impression (and advice) you get in the store can be quite misleading.

That being said, TV's today are fairly good, so even the "big issues" with certain screens are probably something 90 % of all consumers will never notice.

Terry12

3rd Jan 12 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll definitely be looking at the Panasonic range as a few people on here rate them. I did a quick search online and again they have pretty good reviews.

What is the difference between G30 and ST30?
Jakey
Premium Member

3rd Jan 12 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've bought this the other day.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231456276/Product.aspx

I had £30 worth of vouchers plus my staff discount got it for £322, great TV
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Jan 12 at 11:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What is the difference between G30 and ST30?

As I'm aware, they're quite similar. Believe the G models come pre-calibrated with a THX profile, that's supposed to be good.
Try Google on that one, as I believe we are talking minuscule differences.

Terry12

3rd Jan 12 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks. I thought I was being dumb not really seeing much difference.

Is 3D worth looking in to?
Balling
Premium Member

3rd Jan 12 at 14:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is 3D worth looking in to?

It's a gimmick and the technology is still not at its full potential. Yet to try it on my own TV and I can't really see myself paying extra for a 3D movie.

Have to try 3D gaming at one point though, as more and more games will undoubtedly support it.

From the people I have talked to, no one seems to use the feature regularly. Or at all.

John

3rd Jan 12 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Curry's have a 40" LED backlit Samsung just now for £400, think the rents are getting one.

3D good as a gimmick if you get it, it wouldn't put me off a TV on it's own.

Majority of decent TV's will have it now.
Jakey
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's the one I posted John, is it not?

3D is a joke. I don't mind watching the odd football match down the local but I'd never spend twice what I would on a decent LED/LCD TV. Plus I think a decent LED TV is better quality than some 3D I've seen.
John

4th Jan 12 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly is Jakey.

You aren't paying double for 3D though, you are paying double for a better TV that happens to have 3D in most cases.
Balling
Premium Member

4th Jan 12 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
Plus I think a decent LED TV is better quality than some 3D I've seen.

Which makes no sense...

It's not an LED TV, it's an LCD TV with LED back- or edgelighting.

3D it self is not a technology, but a feature. There's no difference between a 3D TV and a none 3D TV.
Hence, you don't pay extra for 3D. Typically only the more expensive sets come with glasses, however. Making the 3D feature worthless unless you fork out 40-60 £ for a pair of glasses.

mooney

4th Jan 12 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was looking at a samsung the other day in comet and didn't really have that many connections on the back, 2 hdmi's 1 scart and 1 usb, i went for a lg 42" led in the end for £429.99
http://www.comet.co.uk/p/LED-TVs/buy-LG-42LV355U-LED-TV/725641
Dom

4th Jan 12 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mooney
i was looking at a samsung the other day in comet and didn't really have that many connections on the back, 2 hdmi's 1 scart and 1 usb, i went for a lg 42" led in the end for £429.99
http://www.comet.co.uk/p/LED-TVs/buy-LG-42LV355U-LED-TV/725641

Parents recently picked up the 32" for £200, reasonable TV for the cost although it doesn't support any form of internet/DLNA. Saying that, USB file playback support is pretty decent.

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by Dom]
Terry12

24th Jan 12 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would you buy a remanufactured TV?
John

24th Jan 12 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably not, depends on price though.
Rob_Quads

24th Jan 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
Plus I think a decent LED TV is better quality than some 3D I've seen.

Which makes no sense...

It's not an LED TV, it's an LCD TV with LED back- or edgelighting.

3D it self is not a technology, but a feature. There's no difference between a 3D TV and a none 3D TV.

There is a lot of differences between the 3D TVs and non-3D TV. The 3D ones have a lot more electronics which all add cost and extra potential for distortion if your not using it.

You could get a higher spec non 3D TV than a basic 3D tv so if you don't need the feature don't go for it.

3D is going to be constantly changing for a few years yet. Some of the manufacturers have agreed some standards but not enough. 3D is being used as the real selling point while they try and get the OLED TVs into production that have taken longer than expected and so they need some 'buz' feature to keep the sales going

Terry12

24th Jan 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£422.99 for a Panasonic 42" G30.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-TXP42G30B-Plasma-TV-Full-HD-Freeview-HD-600Hz-/200698340052?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Televisions&hash=item2eba8da2d4

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » New TV 25 database queries in 0.0993021 seconds