corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driving with a slipping clutch

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driving with a slipping clutch
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
29th Aug 11 at 17:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Ibiza had a slippy clutch post remap, and I drove it for three years without a problem...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

29th Aug 11 at 17:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll never forget a Mondeo that a customer at my old garage brought in and said 'I think the clutch is slipping'. You could put it in 4th, let the clutch out with the handbrake on and it'd keep running, let th handbrake off and it just sat there, no drive at all
gazza808

30th Aug 11 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove my mk2 golf gti about for 2 years with a slipping clutch, I sold it too my mate a year ago and it's still going lol! Only did it when you put your foot down, overtakes were some times scarey.
AlexW

30th Aug 11 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF it depends on the car, some cars it slips and then dies a week later, Others it can last for years.

You know how to drive without a clutch right?
JayCarr

30th Aug 11 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My astravans clutch was slipping for about 2 weeks before it was practically undrivable. Was struggling to get up a hill on the motorway coz it was slipping from 2k rpm. Pulled over and got the AA to take it home. When he tried getting it off the trailer it wouldn't go in gear with the engine running and if you started in gear with your foot on the clutch it was as if the clutch wasn't pressed.
Jon_C
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you make it ???
Mike
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 17:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep All good, John and his tow rope weren't required

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
TBF it depends on the car, some cars it slips and then dies a week later, Others it can last for years.

You know how to drive without a clutch right?

Seeing as you're the second person that's mentioned driving without a clutch, I'm going to question it, how do you drive without a clutch? Surely without a clutch, you're not going to get any drive?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you match the revs and it will slip in and out of gear
Mike
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I do that quite regularly when I'm being lazy and can't be bothered pressing the clutch. It's just with 2 people saying it's easy to drive without a clutch in a thread that's about a slipping clutch, I wasn't sure if there was something else I was missing.
Corsa_Sport21

30th Aug 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You also need to start the car in gear and carefully pick your parking spaces.lol.
Ian
Site Administrator

30th Aug 11 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can change gear without the clutch by matching the revs, but if the clutch has gone that is fairly useless because you will have no drive.
Mike
Premium Member

30th Aug 11 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was what I was thinking, it was just with Alex's post, talking about the clutch dying then asking if I know how to drive without a clutch. I thought there must be a trick I was missing,
3CorsaMeal

30th Aug 11 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my corrado clutch starting slipping at around 180,000miles, was only happening at about 6000rpm.

i got it changed asap
am4nf

31st Aug 11 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I noticed the gf's clutch going slightyly for maybe 4 days.... still able to do 70 etc, the the next day it wouldnt go past 20mph it was that bad, from hardly anything wrong with it to unusable in a day
spikedjack

31st Aug 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got from the nurburgring to dunkerque in france on a slipping clutch and a hole through the bellhousing you'll be fine
Mike
Premium Member

31st Aug 11 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got another 430 miles to do on it tomorrow now

Might see if I can get it booked in for the weekend why I won't be needing it.

[Edited on 31-08-2011 by Mike B]
sri_baby

31st Aug 11 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines bin slipping for about a year and a half I've bin to Santa pod in it and I use it everyday for work as long as you take it steady ull be fine
s4k1b

1st Sep 11 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont do hills or anything in high gears...

keep it driving along with less stress as possible

ie. 2k revs on a diesel

3 - 4k revs on a petrol

if u expect it to give you much pulling power at relatively low revs - forget it - you'll just end up burning it all and having to call the AA

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driving with a slipping clutch 23 database queries in 0.0169711 seconds