corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Painting

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Painting
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
21st Nov 10 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firestate88
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
thinners haha fail, as Graeme has said use De-greaser, maybe some adhesion promoter if you can get some

quoted for uneducated band wagon joining irony

ummm i think you'll find im a level 3 fully qualified vehicle refinisher, 4 years in the trade so jog on bell-end

You'd think that with all that experience you'd know that as long as you're sensible thinners are actually totally fine to use. Fuck I'm not even a painter and I know that.
Callum

21st Nov 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't mean to cause an argument was just looking for advice.
belton

21st Nov 10 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinners are not totally fine to use.

Thinners can be used to get all the strong crap etc tar grease before flatting back. But it is important to wipe it off, as paint won't sit on it fantastically. But after flatting it needs to be degreased.
You could get away with lightly rubbing thinners over it then straight of before primering. But wouldn't recommend it. It's too strong.

If it was the right way using thinners then people would use it. It would save on buying 2 types of degreaser gun cleaner and paint thinners
Firestate88

21st Nov 10 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by belton
Thinners are not totally fine to use.

Thinners can be used to get all the strong crap etc tar grease before flatting back. But it is important to wipe it off, as paint won't sit on it fantastically. But after flatting it needs to be degreased.
You could get away with lightly rubbing thinners over it then straight of before primering. But wouldn't recommend it. It's too strong.

If it was the right way using thinners then people would use it. It would save on buying 2 types of degreaser gun cleaner and paint thinners

wahey someone with sense

if your going to listen to anyone Callum listen to Belton, he's hit the nail on the head

[Edited on 21-11-2010 by Firestate88]
belton

21st Nov 10 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Helps to work in body repair eh!

Firestarter I think people who don't actually work in repair can never really have a massive clue about it, otherwise the course would nor be 3 years eh!

[Edited on 21-11-2010 by belton]
Firestate88

21st Nov 10 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it does help to work in it i agree

and i know the 3/4 year course that we attended at cost to our bosses you think we would have some idea about what we was talking about i must agree again
alan-g-w

21st Nov 10 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

End of the day I don't really mind what people think or do, it's not as if I'm talking about something I've not done. Cellulose thinners evaporate like petrol so unless you were applying the stuff with a bucket it'd be totally fine - when I did a couple of plastic bits a few weeks ago I wiped them down with thinners, keyed up the surface, wiped down with thinners again, gave it a quick rub with a cloth to get rid of residue and then applied the primer, paint and laquer.

If you're doing plastic parts you don't even need to prime them as long as you've keyed the surface a bit.
alan-g-w

21st Nov 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No offence to the two of you but I know how to paint and decorate a room - something that you need to do a 3 year apprenticeship in to do it prefessionally.

Just because it's a 3/4 year course doesn't mean that your average joe with a bit of common sense can't do a part of it.

[Edited on 21-11-2010 by alan-g-w]
popey

21st Nov 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by popey
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:
thinners haha fail, as Graeme has said use De-greaser, maybe some adhesion promoter if you can get some

quoted for uneducated band wagon joining irony

ummm i think you'll find im a level 3 fully qualified vehicle refinisher, 4 years in the trade so jog on bell-end

4 YEARS? and youve been tought to use thinners?

taught NOT to use thinners for plastic

my bad! read ur post wrong! belton = sense.

:thumb
popey

21st Nov 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Callum
Didn't mean to cause an argument was just looking for advice.

well i wouldnt listen to alan, best advice i can give an ive been painting for over 15 years.
alan-g-w

21st Nov 10 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh no, I'm so upset that internet people aren't listening to me.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Painting 22 database queries in 0.0125270 seconds