corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Balls :(

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Balls :(
Warren G

User status: Offline
17th Oct 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
VegasPhil
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, you can see it's been fitted slightly wrong. Was a pain in the arse holding all of that together on my car, i defo remember putting the balljoint inside the lower arm . Stress probably helped break it.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
DaveyLC

17th Oct 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sadly you'll need more evidence than that to claim.. You need to prove the depth (piece of wood and a tape measure). Also they may argue your car is 'non standard'.. Worth a crack though!
Dale

17th Oct 10 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Warren G
im confused by your handling set up. lowering the tie bars on the arms, is surely not helping?

i saw your top mounts and you have moved the caster towards the front of the car, when you idealy want it towards the rear of the car...

Maybe I will agree about the top mounts being forward giving me more caster which makes the car more "sketchy" at higher speeds! which i will be changing for next year as It was nicer to drive...

As for the tie bars as said before i am running f28 which has a larger casing so its highly advise to lower the tie arm ie fitting lower ball joint spacers and the plates on the front of the cross member which I have!! I can't see how its not helping all its done is moved the tie bar lower when its mounts evenly still!

quote:
the ball joint in the pic is below the lower arm...

as is mine which snapped???
Warren G

17th Oct 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

above lower arm

below lower arm

Dale

17th Oct 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DRS

Only difference is in picture 1 the ball joint in mounted inside the arm but I can't personally seeing it making that much difference in respect of stress to the ball joint, geometry yes but I had all that setup and was fine....

I stated that and I will change it But I personally think it boils down to a faults/cheap lower ball joint So im going to try genuine item
Warren G

17th Oct 10 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not even cheap, mine snapped and was genuine i beleive

i was lucky, heard a chunk under braking, went around a around about, slowerly and it snapped and done same as yours, though i only need a new joint and arch
corsadonk
Premium Member

17th Oct 10 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Only difference is in picture 1 the ball joint in mounted inside the arm but I can't personally seeing it making that much difference in respect of stress to the ball joint, geometry yes but I had all that setup and was fine....

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by DRS]

You'd be surprised bud, think how easy it is to snap a seized bolt, over 250lbft going into something made for 100 max with a open diff

Poor Harley she must a nervous wreck going into a car now.
Dale

17th Oct 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
not even cheap, mine snapped and was genuine i beleive

i was lucky, heard a chunk under braking, went around a around about, slowerly and it snapped and done same as yours, though i only need a new joint and arch

Yer i understand what your saying, it doesn't help that I'm running alot more than standard power throw it and doing 1/4miles and traffic light games etc etc so thats putting alot more stress on them! I will do some more research into them and what other people are using as my car isn't stupidly powerful in respect of LET conversion corsa etc
Jambo

17th Oct 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Isn't this what finished off scriv's/brandfincham's Corsa? Everyone blamed the 19" wheels at the time.

How odd this is what I was thinking also!
Dale

17th Oct 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
quote:

[Edited on 17-10-2010 by DRS]

You'd be surprised bud, think how easy it is to snap a seized bolt, over 250lbft going into something made for 100 max with a open diff

Poor Harley she must a nervous wreck going into a car now.

yer true ill change the ball joints and try again next year lol

Bah she was fine, she still isn't keen on the country driving!!!
CorsAsh

17th Oct 10 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Isn't this what finished off scriv's/brandfincham's Corsa? Everyone blamed the 19" wheels at the time.

How odd this is what I was thinking also!

Mwah xxx
Ben G

17th Oct 10 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some old twat will be posting this on leaflets next week telling everyone your driving caused skidmarks. tut tut.

unlucky mate can't believe the damage just by a pothole. hate them.
AK

18th Oct 10 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that spacer wont push the strut forward though, just the arm lower
AK

18th Oct 10 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DRS
quote:
im confused by your handling set up. lowering the tie bars on the arms, is surely not helping?

i saw your top mounts and you have moved the caster towards the front of the car, when you idealy want it towards the rear of the car...

Maybe I will agree about the top mounts being forward giving me more caster which makes the car more "sketchy" at higher speeds! which i will be changing for next year as It was nicer to drive...

You want to move the stut top back... to give 'more' castor.
gez bay

18th Oct 10 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats your problem imo, the cheap and nasty ball joint. I snapped 2 of them, put a genuine ball joint on and never had problems then. Think they're £50 each from vaux
Adam-D

18th Oct 10 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u sent
3CorsaMeal

18th Oct 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i spy with my little eye, something beginning with C
mwg

18th Oct 10 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clio?
mattk

18th Oct 10 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol a corrado
mwg

18th Oct 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go and spoil the wind up why don't you next thing to say should of been chav or coat
mattk

18th Oct 10 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt even see your post when I posted, I went for a piss after I opened the thread

sorry
Nick-S

18th Oct 10 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
quote:
Originally posted by DRS
quote:

You want to move the stut top back... to give 'more' castor.

Exactly what i was thinking.

Also if u add more castor (strut tops back) dosent that also improve the self centering effect of the stearing, Thus take away the "sketchyness" at higher speeds?
Dale

18th Oct 10 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep that's why I will be moving them back as said prevously!!! As said I think it's the shite cheap ball joints tbh!
alan-g-w

18th Oct 10 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry if I've missed something but why's the ball joint attached to the top of the lower arm? Mine is 'inside' it and the bolts go through holes in the bottom all the way into the tie bar I think it is (the thing the ARB bolts to) So in theory yours was sitting about 5-10mm too high? That would cause the extra strain would it not?

Edit, just worked it out. Surely if the only reason it's like that is for the tie bar to miss the gearbox a modified tie bar would be the answer, not changing how the suspension's set up?

[Edited on 18-10-2010 by alan-g-w]

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Balls :( 23 database queries in 0.0958261 seconds