corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jacking a car up.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Jacking a car up.
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Oct 10 at 09:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shouldnt be jacking it up on the sills either car should have jacking points, usually the rear beam, or rear beam mounting points and at the front where the front subframe joins
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The jacking points on most cars ARE the sills.. Why do you think the factory jacks are shaped to go on the little notch on the sill..

The rear beam is NOT a jacking point.
Ben G

12th Oct 10 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
shouldnt be jacking it up on the sills either car should have jacking points, usually the rear beam, or rear beam mounting points and at the front where the front subframe joins

the jacking points are on the sills.

why do you think jacking point covers, cover the sills?

you need a punch in the front bottom.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 09:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
The jacking points on most cars ARE the sills.. Why do you think the factory jacks are shaped to go on the little notch on the sill..

it is on mine lol

i understand the sills are used for the scissor type jacks. but iv never used trolley jacks on them because it fucks them up!

the car should have a different location to use a trolley jack and/or axle stands

[Edited on 12-10-2010 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 09:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:

the jacking points are on the sills.

why do you think jacking point covers, cover the sills?

you need a punch in the front bottom.

jacking point covers are to cover the point you are meant to use for scissor jacks
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC

it is on mine lol

i understand the sills are used for the scissor type jacks. but iv never used trolley jacks on them because it fucks them up!

the car should have a different location to use a trolley jack and/or axle stands

It only fucks them up because your jack is shit.. Buy a jack with a bigger lift plate! What do you think a two poster lifts on? I've never bent a sill?
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going mad here, i can feel a massive internet argument coming on that can only end with one culmination, me initiating the ban process, which involves the people in the Admin section being notified
3CorsaMeal

12th Oct 10 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would only jack up on the sills in an emergency and with the supplied jack, its pretty much for just changing one wheel, i wouldn't jack up the whole car like that to work on.

DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve.. Consdering the number (must be well over a 1000) of cars I've lifted with a jack/2 poster on the sills and never managed to bend a sill once I am going to stand by my argument.
3CorsaMeal

12th Oct 10 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you use the big rubber blocks?

i see lots of noobs, putting axle stands under the sills and folding them up, trying to rest the weight of car on 3mm of bodywork
Ben G

12th Oct 10 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i would only jack up on the sills in an emergency and with the supplied jack, its pretty much for just changing one wheel, i wouldn't jack up the whole car like that to work on.

axle stand on the sump ?

would be fine for a car like a corrado. pumas rust though so it'd just fall through.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just pick the car up and rest it on my knee tbh
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
do you use the big rubber blocks?

i see lots of noobs, putting axle stands under the sills and folding them up, trying to rest the weight of car on 3mm of bodywork

Its all about surface area.. The sills ARE the jacking points but the problem is people use tiny jacks and axle stands (the clue is in the name).. A scissor jack is quite wide so it supports the weight. I'd be more worried about using a halfords jack on the chassis legs because the four teeth on the end of it fuck the underseal.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id disagree davy, most manufacturers specify different points for different jacking options, if you have something with enough surface area just because it doesnt bend something doesnt mean that its the correct place to do it.

EG. this thread, the guy knows someone who has jacked up a lot of cars on the sump without damage, does this also make it the correct place to jack up the car?
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 09:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heres Fords information about jacking points on my car

see how there is specific areas to use trolley jacks on?

DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see 6 jacking points on the sills in that diagram Steve.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hold on a minute i think we may be getting our wires crossed here, by sills im assuming you are meaning the seam which is what im on about anyway

i think the confusion came from Ben because thats what he meant to say i think
sand-eel

12th Oct 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think bmws have the best jacking points i've seen, mine as standard has proper sill holes (like on rally cars) to slide a jack in and also round rubber bungs underneath for proper jacks too
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as a merc, well older ones anyway
Ben G

12th Oct 10 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
hold on a minute i think we may be getting our wires crossed here, by sills im assuming you are meaning the seam which is what im on about anyway

i think the confusion came from Ben because thats what he meant to say i think

the long bit of metal running from front wheel to rear wheel. if thats the seam then yes, that's where it said to jack it up on my focus.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 10:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ben you imbecile do you want me to report you to the head of this website?
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Generally the factory jack (on most cars) is designed to only sit on the seam.. Its completely safe and infact correct to jack up a car on the seam as long as you have a wide enough lift plate on the jack..
DaveyLC

12th Oct 10 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...Obviously Steve as your car is an old Ford its probably a rot box so jacking up on anything is a risk.
mattk

12th Oct 10 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I tried to jack my transit up on the sills on sunday and the jack whent straight through it, rusty old peice of shit!
Steve
Premium Member

12th Oct 10 at 10:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FPMSL

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Jacking a car up. 22 database queries in 0.1968508 seconds