corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » .co domain gold rush?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author .co domain gold rush?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.cointernet.co/

The .co domain is coming!

Essentially, they're hailing it as the new .com - ok it won't be overnight but give it a few years and they'll all be taken up. In a world where people are typing shorter names .co actually has a chance. As it's a shorter version of .com and .co.uk etc.
Plus add the fact that people often mis type domains and put .co by accident it's guarenteed to generate traffic.

The cheapest place I found to register .co domains was here http://www.123-reg.co.uk (another site I found was trying to charge £199)

- I'm buying a few, one's that I can park affiliate links on, with the hope to sell in a few years.

http://www.dnjournal.com/ytd-sales-charts.htm
http://www.dnforum.com/f17/rick-scwhartz-has-reason-smile-thread-271874.html

You only have to look at these links to see the potential money that can be made.

[Edited on 02-07-2010 by Paul_J]
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just got out my excel sheet and I now own 11 domains
PaulW

2nd Jul 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

123-reg isn't the cheapest place at all (also nice of you to put your referral link in there aswell so you get a little something from people on here... )

http://www.pixelinternet.co.uk

£27.50 as opposed to £29.99 with 123-reg

And if you click the link I put, no referral Just straight in!

[Edited on 02-07-2010 by PaulW]
John

2nd Jul 10 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been able to register for them for a while, it doesn't sound very good, mistypes are all they look good for atm.
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oops! Must've clicked a referal link myself (I just copied what was in the address bar) - edited

You're right too - that site is cheaper. I wonder if there are others which are cheaper than these?

- I don't know how it works as it's currently not a live domain.
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Been able to register for them for a while, it doesn't sound very good, mistypes are all they look good for atm.

yeah atm. Give it a few years though.
Afaik, they went live for registrations on the 21st of june 2010.

- I'm not sure how you can say they won't catch on... they're not just random letters like some.

many domains already have .co in them (e.g. co.uk, .co.gg, .co.jp) etc... - so to those people to start typing .co instead will be simple and same with .com - the adaption to .co won't be weird.

where as going to say something.ly is odd.

I'm just on google trends looking for search keywords that are ranking high which are available.
John

2nd Jul 10 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They probably will catch on, just because they are new it sounds like it needs something at the end of it.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woah great news!

Sam
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Colombian domain name. How exciting!
Cavey

2nd Jul 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.xxx will probably be worth getting a hold of when they're available
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck the last 2 I just got are golden

... I basically trawled sites like this http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/domainsales/2009/ytd-sales-charts-2009.htm

and previous domain auctions and google trends.

now i feel like the first lot I bought are a bit shit in comparison.

I reckon the last two I bought tonight (judging from others I've seen similar, with obscure endings) - will go for at least £10,000 each on a domain auction site by the end of the year.

the trends on these two are immense... almost as high trending as 'music' and 'videos'
adiohead

2nd Jul 10 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gay.co
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, if you've already bought them Paul it won't be an issue sharing what you've bought? Kind of interested to see what these ones you think will be worth a bit in the future are.
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
Well, if you've already bought them Paul it won't be an issue sharing what you've bought? Kind of interested to see what these ones you think will be worth a bit in the future are.

I'll happily let you know when the .co is officially live. I'm unsure how firm the purchase is at the moment - since the companies are essentially just doing 'pre orders'

I saw something on godaddy where you could pay a premium to buy a domain even if someone has pre ordered it already

Remind me when they're live! I want to tell you what the last two are!
adiohead

2nd Jul 10 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't you trust us?
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's understandable

I've found some corkers you know. You really reckon they'll be sold for more? How exactly are you planning on advertising them? Simple banner on the page or listing them on domain sale sites etc? I'm just not sure any other level of domain will ever be worth as much as .com
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 20:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It confuses me how some I'm finding aren't already taken tbh
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be careful brett...

They're not necessarily going to sell. What I was looking for, were good names, which trend well in google trends. That way I can park adverts / affiliates on them to make money on the traffic for a while... then once the .co name is an established domain ending and also saturated, put them on the market...

If you look at the site above which shows what top 100 domain sales are a year are - you can see where they get sold.

Sites like www.sedo.com is a common domain market place where they will sell.

The problem is a .co will not sell anywhere near where a .com will - not for a few years at least.

e.g. www.cars.com would sell for a lot! www.cars.co probably not so much.

But relatively www.cars.com would be £100,000 +

where as if www.cars.co got even £1000 it would be a profit that I'd be happy with.

(note I don't have cars.co btw, just an example).
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course yeah, I get that, it's just I do think of all of the ones to choose .co is a pretty cool, especially since it can abbreviate 'company'. I might get a couple for the hell of it. There's some funny ones I'd like even if I just got them for myself Lets face it tho, the really good words as a domain name, regardless of '.whatever' always make something, at least more than the original sale price anyway.
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh...

just read this - will explain the problems.

quote:
What I meant was why does the registry allow people to pre register the domain/s and the domainers tie up their money and when the land rush is over registry auctions it off for thousands.. It is UNFAIR. Because they allow people to pre register the domain while registery should have registered all the domains themselves from the start and then auction off the domains later then I would understand. But they charge the domainers' credit cards and hold on to that money (probably use it) then auction off the domains for thousands of dollars and the original pre registrant never gets the domain unless he/she pays the winning bid price and then if he/she doesn't then they(registrar backed up by the registry of specific TLD) will refund the money after a few months of holding on to it, so yes that is an unfair game... And yes I am dominaing and making money but when it is WRONG I am not going to sit back and not mention it or bring it up in a domaining discussion forums.

... So even though you pre registered it, if it's any good - bigger companies will BUY it then you'll get a refund and a email saying 'sorry it was taken'.

- Like when you buy something from a shop which has put the wrong price up and then they refund you your money and say sorry

Bastards.
Brett
Premium Member

2nd Jul 10 at 20:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that's a bit shit

Can I be assed having my money taken off me for a few months to only get a sorry email and a refund? I'm not sure
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah I wouldn't bother mate

That forum I read it on are pretty hard core, e.g. they buy domains for thousands to then sell on

Essentially what they're saying is, if you have a good .co domain, by the time it comes to go live, you'll have to pay a larger price to keep it (which may be worth it and that's what these 'pro sellers will do') - but ultimately the pre reg stands for nothing

oh well...

if I still have them on go live then cool, otherwise nevermind i'll just wait to get my money back.

Worth a punt.
John

2nd Jul 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Companies have been able to register for weeks, good ones will be well gone.
Paul_J

2nd Jul 10 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Companies have been able to register for weeks, good ones will be well gone.

but you see, they show some as available and let you pre order them....

- but they'll be gone by the time it goes live
John

2nd Jul 10 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's because the companies who actually own the names have them, had to order some for a client.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll