corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows XP

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows XP
ed

User status: Offline
4th Mar 10 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do IT geeks have such an emotional attachment to this outdated shit o/s
mwg

4th Mar 10 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are still running it at work because our IT fella likes it.
ssj_kakarot

4th Mar 10 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i still run it, i just cant be arsed with the hassel of making all my media centre programs work with a new operating system, might stick w7 on me laptop one of these days though, not to fussed though i guess most people still use it as it does what they want it to do, no need to upgrade.
Kurt

4th Mar 10 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because vista and 7 are shit

ME ftw!

[Edited on 04-03-2010 by Kurt]
ed

4th Mar 10 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grrrrr, it's so slow! It pains me to use the XP workstations at uni. My personal PC at home is on 7 and it is roughly the same spec as my personal workstation at uni which runs XP, it's sooooo slow
jamied

4th Mar 10 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
Because vista and 7 are shit

ME ftw!

[Edited on 04-03-2010 by Kurt]

haha
John

4th Mar 10 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Grrrrr, it's so slow! It pains me to use the XP workstations at uni. My personal PC at home is on 7 and it is roughly the same spec as my personal workstation at uni which runs XP, it's sooooo slow

Something wrong with the way they've got it set up in uni.

Although XP is antiquated and people should upgrade, it isn't slower than 7 on a similarly specced machine.
adiohead

4th Mar 10 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

People usually prefer XP for running games.

My accounts software isn't compatible with Vista/7. The newer versions are but that would cost monies.

I did get Vista with the new PC but it took me about 2 weeks to get the accounts program to run on it. Some things don't work and I have to end a process everytime I want to print.

If i couldn't of got it running I'd of installed XP.
oceansoul

4th Mar 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have JUST (2 month ago) updated all our work machines to Windows XP. Had 2K up until then
noshua

4th Mar 10 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

My accounts software isn't compatible with Vista/7. The newer versions are but that would cost monies.

I did get Vista with the new PC but it took me about 2 weeks to get the accounts program to run on it. Some things don't work and I have to end a process everytime I want to print.

7 can emulate XP.
adiohead

4th Mar 10 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead

7 can emulate XP.

so can vista. but it doesn't help the problems i had to workaround (reacharound )
Andrew

4th Mar 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, my explanation.

Windows Vista is a piece of turd but Windows 7 is not too bad. I think using Vista a little has warmed me into Windows 7.

However, my work laptop is a old bag of spanners which work are looking at replacing in the next month or so. That's reason 1.

We have issues with Windows 7 jumping from one network to the following. To get a new IP you constantluy have to reboot. Also, SonicWall VPN and Cisco VPN we use causes us a simlar problem swopping and changing VPNs.

I run W7 on my home PC though
ed

4th Mar 10 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Although XP is antiquated and people should upgrade, it isn't slower than 7 on a similarly specced machine.
Actually, I tell a lie. I have 2gb of RAM at home and 1gb on this machine. Though apparently 7 is just bloatware and you don't need 2gb or RAM on an XP machine. According to IT I need to buy a new PC as a 4 year old computer isn't up to the job these days. I despair.
Andrew

4th Mar 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Tell me, why should a company upgrade 20 PCs to Windows 7. Why do they need to spend money on another OS and have to get users trained to use it when the one they use is perfectly fine? Why should they then have to go and have third party applications re-written because it will not run on a later version of the OS?

We are talking thousands of pounds for those 20 PCs alone. Most companies will upgrade the OS when the PC packs up or needs a full rebuild.

Then we have smaller companies with 5 PCs who are stuggling to make ends meat.

Shall we start on server OS as well. Why upgrade from SBS2003?.. The OS costs around £600 and they will need an x64 system to run on if they choice to go with SBS2008.
John

4th Mar 10 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was talking in general.

I've got no problem with 7 when I'm jumping between networks either, just that it takes an extra 2 clicks to get to the network adapters page.
ed

4th Mar 10 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My problem is that if and when I buy a new computer it will be downgraded from 7 to XP. I don't understand why they can't leave the o/s on that I've paid for in the price of the PC.
John

4th Mar 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ease of administration if everybody has the same setup, it's time 7 started getting left on new pc's though.
pow
Premium Member

4th Mar 10 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

John: ncpa.cpl.

Windows XP is good as a basic OS these days, I have it installed on my Grandma's machine for example.

We have been upgrading our 1000+ computer site to Windows 7 for months now and beause it's change ever fucker moans about it.

XP has had it's time. Now, move over and let Win7 in!

BTW: I'm running Windows 7 ENTERPRISE on some old machines at work (and plenty of netbooks):

Latitude D610s (1.6GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD)
Optiplex SX280's (2.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD)
Samsung NC10s (1.6 Atom, 2GB RAM)
Dell Mini 9's (1.6 Atom, 2GB RAM, 16GB SSD)

and I can safely say all work better on the domain than XP does.
Whittie

4th Mar 10 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run Xp on one of my laptops, no need to change it to 7 imo.
pow
Premium Member

4th Mar 10 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run 7 on everything, it's a far superior OS. I wouldn't bother upgrading though if the graphics can't run aero
_Allan_

4th Mar 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still on XP64 but have a full copy of 7 to throw on when I next format. Only used it a few times setting up someones Laptop. Can see it'll take a bit of getting use to like anything but seems fine.
John

4th Mar 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Pow, that's getting added to the work laptop tomorrow.

XP - 7 is quite a big jump with the placement of things but I had been using vista since it came out so I know where everything is.

The standard task bar in 7 gets in my way so I've turned it back to the old style and it pins things to the taskbar which acts slightly different to quick launch but it's mostly the same.

Pain in the arse firing up a virtual machine to talk somebody through something on xp though
Andrew

4th Mar 10 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I was talking in general.

I've got no problem with 7 when I'm jumping between networks either, just that it takes an extra 2 clicks to get to the network adapters page.

We have issues all the time with it John with and without the VPN Clients installed. It's not the NIC either as it's different laptops that do this. Bit of a nightmere for us tbh Hoepfully they will sort this out in the near future though.

Again, i do not agree users should upgrade. Why should they pay out £60 when there current OS works fine for them and gets regular security updates. I would say anyone still on Windows 2000 should look into upgrading to the latest OS but in most cases they would require new hardware.
Andrew

4th Mar 10 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
My problem is that if and when I buy a new computer it will be downgraded from 7 to XP. I don't understand why they can't leave the o/s on that I've paid for in the price of the PC.

We use Dell hardware mainly but will go for hp if the customer is a tight badger. There generally come with Windows 7 installed with an XP downgrade CD.
pow
Premium Member

4th Mar 10 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Cheers Pow, that's getting added to the work laptop tomorrow.

XP - 7 is quite a big jump with the placement of things but I had been using vista since it came out so I know where everything is.

The standard task bar in 7 gets in my way so I've turned it back to the old style and it pins things to the taskbar which acts slightly different to quick launch but it's mostly the same.

Pain in the arse firing up a virtual machine to talk somebody through something on xp though

The ncpa.cpl thing is bloody useful! One of the most common things I do, Windows key + R, ncpa.cpl. enter. Along with whacking something in the startmenu search box then ctrl+shift+enter prompts for elevated mode.

I like the new taskbar, it's much "tidier" and aeropeak is

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll