corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The "Sprout" C20XE project SOLD

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The "Sprout" C20XE project SOLD
Rich H

User status: Offline
   20th Feb 10 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well as a lot of you know by now, I bought VegasPhil's redtop Corsa toward the end of last year.

TBH I don't have huge plans for it - just a few subtle tweaks here and there and get it running as mechanically sound as I can.

So a very abridged history from the start of Phil's ownership (images pinched from Phil's project thread)

Back in the day - standard 1.2 8V Vegas:

DEPO smoked headlights, badgeless grille, lowered and Corsa C SXi alloys:

Cav Slabs temporarily (still really like it on them!) Irmscher smoked rear lights and Blueflame 6x4 Oval:

Sport Interior fitted:

Post 97 Bumpers and SXi alloys refurbed in Volvo Dark Grey Metallic:

XE Time! Enter the donor car:

[mg]http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/9217/calibra_2.jpg[/img]

An full respray:

Inc. semi smoothed boot, aerial removed and few other subtle touches:

Black trim sprayed in Volvo Dark Grey Metallic:

Full Powerflow exhaust also fitted, but no pics.

Whiteline ARB fitted:

And Porsche D90's fitted which made it look awesome:

Then I bought it toward the end of last year. Trouble was I was awaiting insurance policies to expire on both my vehicles so I could change NCB's around etc, so the car had to sit on my drive for 2 agonising months!

GSi steering wheel, new leather gatiers, Alpine CD / MP3 headunit and Richbrook Titanium gearknob fitted:

New plates with motorbike font, flatblade wipers and Tigra scuttle. The scuttle and mirror base plates were sprayed satin black - thanks to Tom @ Lemass

My ongoing mini project (ie complete before show season hopefully!) is to tidy up the engine bay.

First up was a polished manifold heat shield & arch liners:

The cone filter had seen better days too as the car was run with no arch liners with the D90's - therefore it had become pretty rusty. So started looking into fitting an airbox.

Big thanks to ojc for sorting me out with a C16XE top half for it's bigger inlet, I got the other half of a 1.2 16v B in a scrappy, and de-restricted it:

I've also had a full service by Jamie @ Lemass (top bloke - shrek on here) all filters changed, couple of sensors and general check over. He also fitted a boot pop that runs off the rear wiper to save me climbing over the back seats!

One night I went over a bump and the EML came on. Tracked it down to find it was a snapped wire on the inlet temp sensor in the air intake. This has been ghetto fixed for the time being, and will be sorted properly soon.

Thermostat had been leaking so set about replacing it. That was not anywhere near as straight forward or cheap as it was meant to be though!!

Purple arrows point to the issues. Bottom arrow: rounded off bolt, top arrow, sheared off bolt. And to top it off, that housing is no longer available from Vauxhall

Big thanks to unionjack30 on here for sorting me out a replacement and posting it to me ASAP as the car ended up being off the road for about a week (it's a daily driver!)

New bolts and gaskets were ordered from Vauxhall and new thermostat fitted.

Whilst the car was off the road, I fitted the airbox, and a polished oil cap:

(not the ghetto fix on the inlet temp sensor! I picked up a new plug from the scrappy today, so it will be fixed soon)

The drivers side seat has always had a ripped bolster:

a bargain £10 at my local scrappy and I had a new back rest with no rips:

Plenty more to come - new suspension, wheel refurb, exhaust change and more engine bay tidying.

Thought I'd better get a thread up though as many people have asked me to

Cheers,

Rich

[Edited on 31-07-2010 by Rich H]
Mark.W

20th Feb 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your getting there mate
Ant B

20th Feb 10 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is such a nice car
Rich H

20th Feb 10 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

Few more bits to go mechanically over next month or so, and hopefully the exhaust toward the end of next month (funds and time permitting).

Obviously a full detail etc will be carried out closer to show season too!
rbailey88

21st Feb 10 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks mint, them bumper tops and arches are really tempting me do the same on mine.... top corsa!
Generation

21st Feb 10 at 01:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love this car. Was you not tempted to chnage whole of drivers seat? as bottom half has a little wear from what I can see, and looks alot darker too?
Rich H

21st Feb 10 at 01:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

Seat colour match is perfect in person - shitey BB camera pics. Plus bottom of seat is in far better condition than most others I see All needs shampooing when the weather improves anyway
Generation

21st Feb 10 at 01:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh good! Make sure you get a pro to give it a good wash Good to see someone is looking after it
taylor2008

21st Feb 10 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good mate fair play, did you come across anywere that sold the backing plate for the thermostate that you had to replace? i need 1 asap aswell
cjohnson

21st Feb 10 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks great as always. Good to see it's still being looked after! Wish I knew where my old motor was now
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

21st Feb 10 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks awesome mate is it gunna be at PVS or Billing this year?

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Rich H

21st Feb 10 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taylor - check out my wanted thread I made in classifieds - a couple of other members said they had one (spankyjames was one iirc) or Autovaux did actually source one for me and buy it in, but I'd already got one sorted by then lol.

daz - Yup, definitely PVS, and possibly Billing - just need to sign up to Just Opel Vauxhall if I am
Rich H

6th Mar 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well a small update - no pics.

New 2.0 8V sump gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, new manifold studs & nuts & modified gear linkage all fitted today. New plug fitted to inlet temp sensor as well to rid my amateur bodge.

Was meant to be a day of new suspension but yet more rusted nuts and bolts and missing parts have caused big issues again

Rear window finally sealed up too so it doesn't leak like a sieve

Will get there in the end.
shaunmods
Premium Member

6th Mar 10 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good Rich What suspension set up have you gone for? Hope you get the fitting issues sorted ok
Jenko_Sport

6th Mar 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which bolts you have problems with on the suspension Rich, ive never had a problem and ive fitted ALOT of different suspension to numerous corsa's over the years lol
Rich H

6th Mar 10 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shaun - Bilstein B10 courtesy of Mark @ Jamsport who got it shipped in from Germany for me.
Jenko - every single bastard one as they're rusted to hell with no grease. 1's snapped, 1's seized and I'm also missing the rubber top mount cup things that go between the spring and the top mount.
Jenko_Sport

6th Mar 10 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And here was me thinking Phil had built this car properly maintained regardless.
Rich H

6th Mar 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No comment.

It's certainly being maintained regardless of cost now that's for sure. £800ish spent to date.
Rich H

11th Mar 10 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And so the shite continues...

New suspension on after obtaining new standard legs from a Corsa in the scrappy to raid for bits (at the cost of £40! ) ride height at front is barely changed, rear now sits marginally higher.

But main issue was tracking was so out, the car was literally undriveable - full lock fouled on the front ARB and the wheels were at funky angles. Jamie at Lemass managed to adjust the tracking enough for me to limp it home after some severe fun and games with the track rod ends - which yup, were rusty and one was so dangerously adjusted that it's a wonder it hadn't all fallen apart

Managed to limp it home 55 miles from Lemass this evening with the tracking still majorly out - gotta get myself to a laser tracking place ASAP!
Generation

11th Mar 10 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was outside Lemass today hahah, Sounds like having alot of problems well played to sticking with it, at least you have other means of transport, so if works needs to be done, you're not completly stuck
Shrek

12th Mar 10 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rusted bolts FTL

That was alot of work that got done tonight, glad i could get it sorted for you mate, just pissed off that it was so badly adjusted before, i mean to have the track rod end on the rod 2 turns is just stupid!!

Least we're getting there with the work now soon it'll be ready for the shows!
Rich H

12th Mar 10 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FTL indeed Jamie - again massive thanks for your work tonight mate!

Got 2 bookings this morning, then hoping like hell I can get to the tracking place this afternoon.

Car is just parked in my road atm as I can't get it in the drive as it involves full lock a few times which is still pretty much impossible lol.

All fun and games hey?!
Fad

12th Mar 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
It's certainly being maintained regardless of cost now that's for sure. £800ish spent to date.

Eeeeeek

They are great when working but such a pain when they aint.....well seeing as its not and every day car every penny you put into it will just prolong anything happening.

Hopefully the suspension will be sorted as that Bilstein kit is proper
Rich H

12th Mar 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make that nearer £1k now tbh - after last night / today and next week!!

Took to get tracking done today which was out by a ridiculous 23mm on the drivers side!

Track rod nut on that side is so rusted on it isn't shifting, so now need new track rod arm / end which isn't going to be done till next Thursday.

Car drives in a straight line now thanks to some dodgy levelling up on the other side, but steering wheels now 90degrees out!

Graeme
Premium Member

12th Mar 10 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remove the wheel and put it back on level, have to do that on mk1 golf as they only have adjustment one side of the steering racks.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The "Sprout" C20XE project SOLD 24 database queries in 0.1066151 seconds