corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Throttle Bodied Corsa 2.0 16v XE Track/Fast Road *Dead and buried*

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Throttle Bodied Corsa 2.0 16v XE Track/Fast Road *Dead and buried*
DaveB

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 10 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitted some aerocatches prior to getting my boot repainted

Poor abandoned corsa

Quite happy with that; looks alot tidier than the old ones anyway And they're almost symettrical lol
Generation

22nd Feb 10 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What an amazing read, probably the best prject red on here IMO, I loked look of it best just fter it got wrapped up in vinyl
jimmy 2.1

22nd Feb 10 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was wondering if you still had this the other day.

I remember when you got it, and how my old van shamed you into tuning it cos you couldn't get away! I kid!
DaveB

22nd Feb 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Generation

jimmy; stll got it; down to prob <1000miles a year now though tbh.
DaveB

15th Mar 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had some issues with a stuck open throttle. Managed to figure out it was the Throttle Pot that was causing TB#4 to stay open! :eek:

Bought one from rs components that's meant to work, but even once i'd figured out the voltages of it, the damn bolt holes wouldn't even line up. It was really getting to me so I took a road trip

Got a new throttle pot and mounting brackets, all with the correct connector and ready to rock. Had a good half hour chat with one of the main chaps at Jenvey and learnt some good tips and tricks I didn't know about TBs lol. Can't wait to get the car working again

---------------------------------------------

Had a long day on friday;

Got up to the car with my new TPS. Removed the old one, fitted the new one - just the same Still kept sticking.
Threw my dummy out of the pram (hence no photos) and removed the inlet/tbs to box up and send to jenvey to setup, along with my dummy.

but, when removed off the car; they didn't stick :confused:

So, I stuck on the new TPS, and plugged in my laptop - got the .37v I was looking for within seconds... hmm

Decided to give it one last chance, so fitted the inlet/tbs back onto the car. Still OK.

Fitted the accelerator cable.... - that is the problem!!

So I threw in the towel and left it, to return on Saturday morning with some new bits. Saturday afternoon I headed off to the scrappers and got:

accelerator pedal and spring
3 accelerator cables (just incase)

I got home and removed my old accelerator pedal - to find I didn't have a spring on mine! (problem 1). Fitted the new pedal and spring.

Removed the old accelerator cable and compared it with the new one - the old one had a huge kink in it just before the grub screw on my tbs; which is presumably why is was getting jammed.

Abit of fettling later and I had a fully functioning set of TBs and accelerator cable that didn't stick wooh

I let the car warm up and adjusted my WOT throttle voltage to fall inline with the new TPS and took it for a quick drive around the block. All the time I was at WOT it was fkin awesome, but at part throttle there was loads of popping and banging and misfires - I hadn't adjusted the throttle index to suit the new WOT voltage so parked it up and left it again.

At least i know it's technically OK (sorry for the no picture update)
Robin
Premium Member

15th Mar 10 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which type of TPS are you using?
DaveB

15th Mar 10 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colvern one now, which is what I had originally but WOT is 1v lower than the other, so it all needs changing

My original TPS was 4 years old so I guess things have moved on.
Dun1eavy

21st Mar 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would they go onto a 1.6?
Olsrey

23rd Mar 10 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome car Dave. Will have to meet up one day .
DaveB

17th Apr 10 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

:eek: Actually did some stuff on the car this weekend!

Bored of the gay bright coloured wheels, so gone for a more sensible satin black;

The other night while out playing I nearly took out a biker because I didn't see him in my gay SPA mirrors :doh: Thankfully we both ended up shaking hands and each of us going on our way, but I'm not taking that chance again. Got a pair of 'grey' mirrors from the scrappers, and put those on:

So the car now sits like this:

Also ordered an EPS controller from Ebay, only £35 so fitted that as well;

Kit as it comes;

Old wiring:

New wiring:

During;

Adjustment Knob Mounted;

Tested it, and surprisingly it worked OK first time lmao

I also put a new fuel reg on, and noticed that my old one was at 3bar instead of the 50psi it should have been! I also still haven't been able to get my TPS setup properly so have booked in to Noble Motorsport on Tuesday afternoon to have an hour or two on the rollers to get the TPS setup properly, and give it a run through on the fuel sites to make sure everything is OK.

Thought seeing as I'm doing that I'd best give it an oil change, and a spark plug change.

Old plugs, bleurgh;

JamieF is coming over tomorrow to help me change the cambelt and waterpump and then I'm good to go
DaveB

19th Apr 10 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jamie came over yesterday and we got the cambelt and rollers all changed. Both rollers were v v noisey so I'm happy that I laid out for the cost of the cambelt kit now, to be safe

Annoyingly I then had an issue with the wiring where the car won't turn off, ever. Even with the key and battery cut-off removed :eek: Somewhere along the line when I've done some special wiring. After alot of dismantling and testing wires it turns out that somehow I've wired the alternator feed into my ignition live circuit, so when the key is removed, there is still c. 3v going around the ignition live circuit, meaning my ECU doesn't turn off.

I've fitted an in-line switch to the ECU feed at the mo just to get me past the problem, but the only way to rectify it is going to be to remove all the dash board etc again *sigh*.

Ah well, onto mapping tomorrow.
DaveB

20th Apr 10 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, tidied up my wiring, again

Corsa is now outside work ready to go to Noble this afternoon
AlexW

20th Apr 10 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Work looks good, sorted the electrical problem?

Dont blame you for going for black wheels and the bigger standard mirrors, tiny mirrors like that arnt ideal on the road lol
DaveB

20th Apr 10 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem shouldn't be fixed; as I simply wired in a switch to the ECU ignition live; but low and behold after puttig it all back together it turns off OK with the key! weird!
DaveB

21st Apr 10 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got back OK from Noble after having the TPS index all setup and a run through of the map to check it's all OK. For some reason it had got slightly leaner than last time I was there, so he richened the map up in some areas.

Last time it made 205.6bhp @ 7100rpm and 159lb/ft torque.

Now it is making 207.5bhp@ 7213rpm and 163lb/ft torque. It is also holding the torque for quite abit longer in the rev range too. Quite happy with that, and I know that in 2 years since it was last mapped, that the condition of the engine hasn't changed

It is however still 'running on' sometimes, and I'm also still having issues with the hot start (sometimes). I'm thinking that it's more and more to do with a dodgy alternator, so am going to get that checked over in the coming weeks.
3CorsaMeal

21st Apr 10 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that torque figure taken at 7213rpm?
DaveB

3rd May 10 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, torque figure is lower, 5900rpm iirc.

Woop Woop. big day for me. Car all fixed

I worked out several posts back that my alternator was causing me some issues, so decided to replace it. A normal XE one is £70 ish from local factors, the naughty SBD kit c/w baby 2.5kg alternator is £300 delivered and I'm sick of 2nd hand alternators causing me issues. So, in true Yorkshire so-tight-that-I-squeak-when-I-walk style I went my own way

Here is the tight mans version of how to get a baby jap alternator and fit it to an alternator / Fitting a Nikkon Denso Alternator to a Vauxhall XE Redtop

Right, first up here is what you need to replicate the SBD fitting kit;

There is more bits in this picture than you need, but it gives you an idea. A full parts list is below the picture:

'Generator Mount' - Vauxhall Part Number 9129426 HK (£12+ VAT from Low cost Vauxhall parts, Vauxhall spares and Vauxhall accessories - Autovaux)
2nr M10 x 55 cap head bolts and washers
1nr M10 x 110 hex head bolt + washer + M10 nut
2nr M8 x 25 cap head bolts and washers
2nr M8 female rose joints
Undisclosed length of m8 bar (mine was 220mm)

..all the above can be bought from good hardware stores (apart from the vx mount). All in it cost me £22.34 (the SBD equivalent costs £56+ vat + delivery!)

I then wanted to source a new alternator. After many hours searching on the Internet, I found there are many types of alternators that people use for this conversion, but the most common ones are Nikkon Denso alternators from a Daihatsu Charade. The part numbers are below:

100211 4730 - vbelt pulley (40amp)
101211 2750 - wide belt pulley (55amp)

I then found a local company called 'Wood Autos' Wood Auto Supplies Ltd :: Home Page that MAKES replacement alternators. It's hard to find a Denso supplier that would give me a decent price, so I contacted Wood Autos and got the following gen:

the Denso v belt alternator was £188+vat. The w belt alternator was just £99 collected!! Again, for reference I'll list the Denso part numbers with the Wood Autos equivalent

100211 4730 - vbelt pulley (40amp) - ALT3007
101211 2750 - wide belt pulley (55amp) - ALT3015

So, I went for the wide belt alternator (more amps and cheaper!) and then swopped the pulley over from my old alternator.

Comparison with my old one:

On with the fitting:

New vaux mount bolted up:

The wiring for them isn't too tough, the one I bought needed an ignition live, no real problem though. For wiring instructions visit this website:
Westfield-world Kitcar support Site - Wiring a Nippon Denso Alternator

Alternator all bolted up:

Wires all connected:

The only bit that requires 'thinking' is the rose jointed bit. You're meant to use a 'joiner' in between the two rose-joints for adjustment, but I couldn't find any of those so I just cut the required length of threaded bar. This shows the alternator all mounted up, c/w rosejoints and threaded bar.

All the bits back in place:

The charge before this alternator was 12.5 on idle, 13.3 when revved. I now get 12.9 on idle and 14.1 when revved, so I clearly DID have problems with the old alternator.

I hope the instructions and points above are clear enough to follow, any problems please don't hesitate to ask and I will try my best.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd May 10 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any idea how much weight it saved you? Looks an interesting mod.
DaveB

3rd May 10 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New one is 2.5kg, old one at least 7.5kg!
DaveB

18th May 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJle7aKbn5I
markx14xe

15th Jul 10 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love the thread dave you have one of the best c20xe corsa b's ive ever seen
DaveB

15th Jul 10 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks mate. comments are appreciated
markx14xe

15th Jul 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

next step would be fiber glass or carbon fibre, wings, bonnet, boot, doors ect i would of thought to get the weight down wheels aswell
novaturbo

15th Jul 10 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loving the build. stickers look the part. keep up the good work
DaveB

16th Jul 10 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mark, the bonnet and boot are fibre glass already

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Throttle Bodied Corsa 2.0 16v XE Track/Fast Road *Dead and buried* 23 database queries in 0.1951470 seconds