corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Nathans Corsa C Z18XE Turbo Progress thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nathans Corsa C Z18XE Turbo Progress thread
N7 THD

User status: Offline
7th Oct 09 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi corsasport!

ive been keeping progress on corsa-c but figured you guys may be interested.
I started this a couple of months ago, did the conversion in an evening with Warren, its Ross's old set up!

heres the car:

me looking like a weasel...

This was my engine spec before:
powerspeed 4-2-1 manifold with 200 cell cat
Lexmaul cat back system
Schrick 256 degree fast road cams
dBilas flowtec inlet manifold
Pipercross Viper
EDS software
lightened and balanced flywheel
the car was running very well, was a good 150-160bhp with 130lbft torque.
i was happy with this, but since fitting the inlet manifold torque was crap, and all the power was above 5500rpm...

pic:

so.. we decided to fit the whole thing in one evening...
fitted the intercooler a week prior to save some time - was a bitch to fit as its far too big!

spec of the kit:
its a VAG style set up
dBilas T25 roller bearing turbo (oil and water cooled)
Z20LET (astra GSi) injectors
FMIC
dBilas cast exhaust manifold and turbo elbow
turbo spec exhaust system, 2.5" bore 200 cell cat, Lexmaul twin 80mm rear box
sump with oil feeds
various bits of pipework hard pipes, silicone hoses, etc.
Forge Split R re circulating dump valve...

think thats it...

so heres the engine pictures..

the car drives really well, has a slight bit of lag due to the size of the intercooler and necesarry pipework for it, so im doing a straight swap, my gigantic cooler for a skoda octavia 1.8 20v T cooler as its the standard cooler that is designed for my conversion...
and, my bumper doesnt fit properly and is stretched and held on partly by cable ties, and i have no crash bar which is a bit unsafe...

also planning to raise the bonnet to help get rid of engine heat better

other plans include:
oil cooler to be fitted
oil pressure gauges and boost gauge to fit
tidy up the engine bay
fit an extra centre silencer and my original twin pipe backbox to keep noise down..
re route air filter to lower down in the bay - more cold air there

i'll keep this thread updated with my progress

Car spec...
Star silver SRi
Irmscher Grille, Lower Splitter, Headlight Brows, Sideskirts
full colourcode
Tints
Cupra R splitter
Eibach Springs
Bilstein Dampers
Rear Strut Brace
Corsa/ Astra VXR calipers, 280mm Disks
Speedline2120 Turini's 16x7 refurbed in anthracite - came from a clio 172 cup...
probs a few other things like audio and stuff but thats a bit un necessary

N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so, they gigantic twin pass FMIC has been swapped for a nice neat S3 side mount jobby, this means, almost no turbo lag, a lot less pipework, and i can have my crash bar back, and my bumper fits again!

also, ive fitted a different inlet manifold which had a take off pipe for the vaccum pipe on the dump valve so that works properly, and fitted a boost gauge... (see the blue pipe coming off the right hand side..)

and, ive swappedthe Schrick fast road cams for the standard Z18XE cams, fitted NGK BKR6EK plugs, and 10w40 semi synthetic oil.

OMG THE CAR RUNS LIKE A DREAM NOW!!

Holds 8-9psi right through the revs from about 2500rpm

did have a massive oil leak... due to a split in the oil return pipe, but this is fixed now!

All i need to do now is fit an oil pressure gauge, fit the oil cooler, relcoate the oil filter and relocate the air filter!
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MORE PROGRESS...

so firstly, i wanted a stay oem, but had problems as my intercooler sat behing the foglight.... so heres how i solved this!

start with this:

cut the middle out:

then buy this from vauxhall nice SRi centre grille, and cut it up!

then, bond together

and both fitted on the car:

can you see something else? if you cant see here:
mmm mocal 16 row oil cooler!

and a sexy pic with the bumper off: (you can also see the remote filter..)

also, a nice remote oil filter set up - will help when i come to change the filter in years to come, and also, 2 sandwich plates would never fit so this is a lot tidyer!

remote filter mount fitted to car with oil pressure and temp senders fitted...

another angle:

fitted to car with filter on:

and from above you can see thermostat blanking plate coming off the block, heatwrapped pipes going into filter mounting:

what ya think?
gez bay

7th Oct 09 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is cool! what bhp is it?
FruitBooTeR

7th Oct 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love it mate, a lot of people seem to turbo C's now days with ease and no problems at all!
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure at the moment, ive been focusing more on getting the car to run perfectly.
oil temps were getting really high so should be ok now the oil cooler is fitted... however the oil temp gauge busted when we fitted the cooler, so havent actually got any idea of the oil temp at the moment!

gonna order a oil temp / pressure gauge next week...

at the same time will book myself in at track n road for a dyno run.

200bhp or more and i'll me over the moon!

theres only 5 around that i know of....

more people are fitted Z20LET's!
FruitBooTeR

7th Oct 09 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N7 THD

Well yeh I mean either, Z18XE and Z20LET but both ways seem to go smoothly and always look like a tidy conversion.

Theres only 1 around my way owned by a lad called Jack, then I also saw a silver turbo C (Engine unknown) around Reddich a few weeks back, sounded
SAL
Premium Member

7th Oct 09 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good progress mate, should be seeing around 200 bhp with the conversion. I think the original dblias inlet set-up draws the most cold air, duno why ross started playing about with open cones ?

His car was quick with the kit fitted and was on par with mine to about 100 / 4th gear !

Good stuff anyhow
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
quote:

Well yeh I mean either, Z18XE and Z20LET but both ways seem to go smoothly and always look like a tidy conversion.

Theres only 1 around my way owned by a lad called Jack, then I also saw a silver turbo C (Engine unknown) around Reddich a few weeks back, sounded

ah fair enough, it isnt as simple as it seems trust me... however im so surprised with how well the standard ecu works with the conversion!

jack evans, black c? its a nice car, similar set up really... he has a quaife diff.... i want one!
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs
Good progress mate, should be seeing around 200 bhp with the conversion. I think the original dblias inlet set-up draws the most cold air, duno why ross started playing about with open cones ?

His car was quick with the kit fitted and was on par with mine to about 100 / 4th gear !

Good stuff anyhow

thanks mate, im still using the cone filter, however its relocated towards the bottom of the engine bay, gets a lot more cold air that way, and has minimal pipework! sounds amazing!

the original filter, sits above the exhaust manifold, and quite a few parts were missing from it... also i have a different coolant line running along the front of the head from a Z20LET which wouldnt allow the dbilas one to fit...

there is so much more low down power now with the smaller cooler, and pretty much no lag at all!

very impressive then!

thanks mate
SAL
Premium Member

7th Oct 09 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it was good fun when ross had it, spent many saturday nights @ lakeside owning and suprising a good few fast cars.

good days, we both should of kept it real ond made them quicker but both of us spend at leat 4.5k doing are conversions ! Got to a point where i just couldnt spend anymore, same as ross i spose.

N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha, thats ace, surprisingly, as much as ive tried, havent managed to have and races with anyone...
no ones ever around when i am... then as soon as im with the girlfriend in her car, or in my company car... i see all these modified cars!

im really happy with power at the moment, as it drives like a n/a car... but one day, standalone management, fmic, and low comp pistons could be a winner!
jr

7th Oct 09 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was greatfull for the trip out the other night with warren in this, very impresive car
Iain M

7th Oct 09 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats clever with the fog light holes, i'm still unsure what to do with mine tbh. Thought about using them as cold air feeds but then i also like what you have done.

Part number for the centre grill? Is it the centre lower one? Nice car by the way. Seems to be quite a few C's on here now and silver also
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
Was greatfull for the trip out the other night with warren in this, very impresive car

your more than welcome mate! it was hard to get a good idea though... as the roads were, and we had to avoid all the crashed cars along the way! haha... and having 4 people in the car!

pleased you liked it
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Iain M
Thats clever with the fog light holes, i'm still unsure what to do with mine tbh. Thought about using them as cold air feeds but then i also like what you have done.

Part number for the centre grill? Is it the centre lower one? Nice car by the way. Seems to be quite a few C's on here now and silver also

am i right in thinking you have the foglight grilles, just without foglights in?
i need a proper grille as my intercooler is side mounted!

up to you mate, havent got the part number, but Warren G ordered it for me, he will know!

i suppose you could mount a cold air feed in there, havent you got a cone filter though? if so wont really do anything..
Fad

7th Oct 09 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks spot on the Turinis are a nice touch
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Oct 09 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr

Putting one of these on the astra then

Car looks good mate

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks guys

i love the wheels tbh, their flowformed too so nice and light and very strong!
Fad

7th Oct 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we tried one of mine on Warren's Corsa B Looked really good!

He almost tried to have them in his Medway fashion
N7 THD

7th Oct 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Yeah we tried one of mine on Warren's Corsa B Looked really good!

He almost tried to have them in his Medway fashion

haha, i bet he did! he still has a pair of my sunglasses that he keeps "forgetting" to give back!

nice wheels i must admit!

16s on a b may be a bit large though i guess..!
Iain M

7th Oct 09 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Iain M

am i right in thinking you have the foglight grilles, just without foglights in?
i need a proper grille as my intercooler is side mounted!

up to you mate, havent got the part number, but Warren G ordered it for me, he will know!

i suppose you could mount a cold air feed in there, havent you got a cone filter though? if so wont really do anything..

Correct i have the fog light holes with no fogs as the fogs won't fit due to IC pipework. Even if i could just put the front of the fogs on that would be a little improvement. Yes it is ope filter but no cold air feed at the moment.
Phi

7th Oct 09 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh what a beautiful car my dear

nath

xx
Nick-S

7th Oct 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is an awesome corsa c
spikedjack

7th Oct 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice to see a progress thread on here nath

yeah fruitbooter was on about mine

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Nathans Corsa C Z18XE Turbo Progress thread 24 database queries in 0.4141250 seconds