corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » N97 #2 down

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author N97 #2 down
Nismo

User status: Offline
6th Jul 09 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i personally hate vibe on touch screen, my sister has a samsung that does it and i cant stand it, but thats my personal taste.

End of the days we all like different things
MarkM

6th Jul 09 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the screens on the iPhones still shatter to a million pieces if dropped from a height of 3CMs?
Nismo

6th Jul 09 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

poor argument, nokias just fall apart when you use the slider on them :boogle:
MarkM

6th Jul 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
poor argument, nokias just fall apart when you use the slider on them :boogle:

Suppose you get a Nokia without a slider?
Nismo

6th Jul 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then it will crash and burn on the first few days

Theres many pros and cons for them all, we could be here for a long time! Ive been a nokia fanboy for 10+ years, i lived with there issues so it didnt bother me!
Dom

6th Jul 09 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
jacko Orange brand theiir phones and put their own software on them, they failed Oranges quality tests so they need to configure them better untill they pass. In 2 weeks aparently.
The phones from phones4u/carphone etc are Nokia unbranded aka generic ones.

Can you remove the battery now Kurt? Use a different sim card in? Vibration feedback on touch screen? Oh a proper camera? 30 frames per second video?
Didnt think so.

What type of argument is that? You always could swap simcards.

Vibration feedback, no - but then again do you really need it on an iPhone? i've never felt the need and like Nismo, when i had a go on a Samsung it felt weird.

Propper camera, again what does that mean? All mobiles don't have "propper" cameras or lenses. If you meant resolution, then yes the 3GS is a little low at 3MPs but to be honest the quality from 5MP N95s are nothing to shout about.

As for 30FPS video yes it does do that. However, like any other mobile it won't be constant, the frame rate varies due to the shite CMOS/CCDs they use (show it solid black at it might hit the 30fps limit). Plus, as long as the frame rate is above 20fps you won't notice flickering certainly not at the VGA quality majority of phones record in - although there are a few new phones coming out with HD capability (Samsung are doing one i believe), it'll be interesting to see how noisy captured footage is (most HD handycams are pretty bad and they have the space in a body to incorporate a lens).

MarkM - I've had a few Nokias and SE where i've dropped them off wall ledges (foot high or so) or out of the car (fell from pocket onto the kerb or road) and the screens have gone. Obviously the iPhone (and any other large LCD'd mobile) will be more fragile due to the larger pane of glass but i've dropped iPhones from height and never had any problems - not saying that it doesn't happen, but it certainly isn't a valid argument.

One thing i do really like about the 3GS is the OpenGL ES 2 support (i think WM7 might support it at some point) via the PowerVR SGX 535 GPU which gives it a poly rate in line with a PSP (3GS is marginally higher), which will be great for portable gaming and will hopefully increase the use of 3D within apps, like an all 3D TomTom, or 3D mapping of the Google Earth app (and smoother hopefully as it's a bit cack at the momement) etc.
jacko198

6th Jul 09 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
jacko Orange brand theiir phones and put their own software on them, they failed Oranges quality tests so they need to configure them better untill they pass. In 2 weeks aparently.
The phones from phones4u/carphone etc are Nokia unbranded aka generic ones.

Can you remove the battery now Kurt? Use a different sim card in? Vibration feedback on touch screen? Oh a proper camera? 30 frames per second video?
Didnt think so.

That makes sence! Cheers jambon
Baz-Zico

6th Jul 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
quote:
Originally posted by TheScotsman
quote:
Originally posted by jacko198
I wonder why phones4u have released the n97 on orange, when orange wont release it themselves yet due to the softwear "not agreeing with the orange system"

Yup, Ive got it on Orange

Is youres running fine then? Just cant see how its faulty with orange, but with orange through phones4u its fine

Yea mate, no problem at all
Doug

6th Jul 09 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From more geek point of view the iPhone completely pisses in the face of GSM standards
John

6th Jul 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
One thing i do really like about the 3GS is the OpenGL ES 2 support (i think WM7 might support it at some point) via the PowerVR SGX 535 GPU which gives it a poly rate in line with a PSP (3GS is marginally higher), which will be great for portable gaming and will hopefully increase the use of 3D within apps, like an all 3D TomTom, or 3D mapping of the Google Earth app (and smoother hopefully as it's a bit cack at the momement) etc.

This both shafts older iphone owners and gives developers a difficult decision.

They aren't backwards compatible so you either develop for the old one and not get to use the new features, develop for the new one and leave old owners in the lurch or develop 2 apps seperately then support both.
ed

6th Jul 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which they wont do. Developers will probably be encouraged to develop for the new model so that Appl€ can sell more phones.

You'd have to be mad to sign a 24 month contract though. That puts me off big time, and I'm sure a lot of other people...
John

6th Jul 09 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Microsoft get abuse for their latest OS not supporting your dads calculator from 1985 but apple can make a whole device obsolete after a year and they are praised, absolutely mind boggling
ed

6th Jul 09 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus the only reason why people don't think things go wrong on Apple products is because they don't admit to shortcomings in their software. If they need to do a new security release for an OS, they will say its faster, does something better or some other gay thing. They will under no circumstances say that there is a vulnerability on their products.

MS on the other hand, they will call things urgent security patches or updates and let the public know to be careful until they have upgraded. At which point they get held at gunpoint for having crap software.

P.S. I think my iPhone is great
Daveskater
Premium Member

6th Jul 09 at 19:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Nokia 5800 which vibrates when you touch the screen, imo it makes it a bit easier to use because you get that bit extra feedback when you press things. I suppose it's trying to be similar to the click of a button. You can adjust it through three different levels or turn it off if you don't like it.

I'll admit the software is still a bit buggy, but an update is being rolled out at the moment which fixes quite a few things and adds some features.

There are countless Symbian applications out there, it would be handy if Nokia put a store type thing together so that they were all in one place, but anything is still available to search for.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Jambo

6th Jul 09 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they do Dave, its called Ovi, but its shit

Daveskater
Premium Member

6th Jul 09 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah, forgot about that

Never really looked into it much, just know it exists

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Jambo

6th Jul 09 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the backup service is brilliant but the app store is wank

Just search for the apps you need
ed

6th Jul 09 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is Symbian open source? Or is that a future development? That's a good move, the App Store is good and bad because Apple have so much say over what's allowed and what isn't. One example being tethering. It really pisses me off that from day one the hardware was capable of tethering with a laptop, but they wouldn't allow it, and now charge you for the privileged.

[Edited on 06-07-2009 by ed]
John

6th Jul 09 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not open source atm, there is talk of it going that way but I think nokia might just go all out android.
Dom

6th Jul 09 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Microsoft get abuse for their latest OS not supporting your dads calculator from 1985 but apple can make a whole device obsolete after a year and they are praised, absolutely mind boggling

Nice exaggeration there!

The same could be said for symbian/Nokia, i have apps on my 6600 that won't run on my N95 and visa versa - does that mean Nokia screwed me over?! hmmmmmm

Ed - "....is because they don't admit to shortcomings in their software"
Not true, keep an eye out on the Apple forums as update info gets posted, likewise on the Apple Updater, it might say a minor release but the description (or Release note link) will tell you what the fixes are (most of the time they're security fixes).

The only issue i have with updates (security, patches etc) is the updates being bundled together (unless it's a serious issues) and then release as a minor update. Unlike Microsoft would chuck out patches left right and centre.
John

6th Jul 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Symbian apps need small changes to run on different versions yes, it's not the best system either.

This new graphics stuff is totally different though, you need to write 2 different versions of the program.
Dom

6th Jul 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Symbian apps need small changes to run on different versions yes, it's not the best system either.

This new graphics stuff is totally different though, you need to write 2 different versions of the program.

You don't NEED to do anything! You don't have to support the OpenGL ES 2, it just an added feature. No different from buying a game where if you graphics card has such and such feature then it'll use it, if not it won't.
M2RTY

6th Jul 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apple are good at selling themselves

i use an ipod touch (sometimes) and an n97 but i wouldnt have an iphone, just dont like them as a whole. Cant replace the battery or case if they need to (easily), more expensve, apple own your soul if you buy one
bubble

6th Jul 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont like the iphone at all. my opinion.

i just dont get how a phone that has only just bein able to use mms, is praised so much. tbh, gsm arena have got it spot on with the iphone. "twice the hype, half the novelty".

lots of reports as well of the new one getting too warm, and the screen warping. madness.

the funniest one, was the initial 2g iphone being produced and coloured with paint that contained lead. brilliant.

each to their own though tbh
ed

6th Jul 09 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The original iPhone didn't have a drop of paint on it.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll