corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » iphone OS 3.0

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author iphone OS 3.0
Robbo

User status: Offline
18th Jun 09 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B
quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
FPMSL @ all you iPhone goons on FB gettign hacked off cos nothign works properly

BUY A PROPER 'PHONE INSTEAD OF SOMETHING WITH A HALF EATEN APPLE ON THE BACK AND YOU'LL BE GRAND

i'm really sorry you can't afford one
Nath

18th Jun 09 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sean you couldn't be more wrong
Robbo

18th Jun 09 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sucks to be me, so poor I cant even afford an iPhone

And Dom, my point was still pertinent, my N95 can do all those things off the cuff (well most anyway) and doesnt NEED updating/ballsing up... so
Nath

18th Jun 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poor little pikey accountant Robbo.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Jun 09 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did read that list thinking that my 6310i did a lot of that in 2002.
James

18th Jun 09 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like my iPhone not so much because of what it can do, but the way it does it.....
Dom

18th Jun 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Sucks to be me, so poor I cant even afford an iPhone

And Dom, my point was still pertinent, my N95 can do all those things off the cuff (well most anyway) and doesnt NEED updating/ballsing up... so

Yes nice one! But what has that got to do with the price of bread?
The thread is about the new firmware, not whether or not the phone is good and that X and Y phones are better And if you want to go down this route, then you cannot deny that Apple have sold millions of units, making the iPhone one of the most popular handsets to date, so clearly they must be doing something right

As for updating and ballsing up, at least you can update firmware on the iPhone. Operators are all too keen to ship out branded firmware, that's usually about 2 major versions behind, which cripples the phone and is generally flaky. And even when the manufacturer does update the firmware you can't download it because the operator can't be arsed to distribute an update branded version. So you're then forced to either live with shite firmware or spend ages changing the product code in order to force an update of the lastest version (something i've done many times).

Anyways rant over, back to topic anyone?
ed

18th Jun 09 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New firmware is good. Landscape texting is all I needed for my fat thumbs
Jakey
Premium Member

19th Jun 09 at 00:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same here ed. Im also a fan of actually being able to share the pictures i take.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Jun 09 at 11:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine updated without any problems. Landscape texting is the best improvement.

And I can search my Gmail inbox

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Jun 09 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was just reading yesterday's Sun, It says there is a feature that you can track the phone on google maps if you lose it?

Wondering if that was built into the 3.0 update?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
ed

20th Jun 09 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's to do with MobileMe. It shows you an approximate position for your phone to help you find it, so long as the person who nicked it doesn't disable to feature. You can send flash messages to the phone and wipe all the data from it remotely too using the function. Personally, I think you should be able to brick it remotely too
Tim
Site Administrator

20th Jun 09 at 23:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I like my iPhone not so much because of what it can do, but the way it does it.....

Exactly why I like mine. A lot of people I know who put the iPhone down have never used one... fanboys strike again. I don't pretend to have used every phone in existence though

On paper, there's hardly anything the iPhone features that my old phone didn't . However, using them day-to-day is a million miles apart!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

21st Jun 09 at 00:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

htc touch hd is far better
Sean-B

21st Jun 09 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Sean you couldn't be more wrong

oh bollocks oh well still a mint phone!
Paul_J

21st Jun 09 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
It's to do with MobileMe. It shows you an approximate position for your phone to help you find it, so long as the person who nicked it doesn't disable to feature. You can send flash messages to the phone and wipe all the data from it remotely too using the function. Personally, I think you should be able to brick it remotely too

I was discussing this with my mate, I don't see why you couldn't make a custom app that does the same as what mobile me are offering??

All you'd need is a web server.

Basically have a app that fires off on a time based event (say every hour) ... and just posts it's current location from the gps to a web server. Providing the phone is on / not wiped, it should work.

Tempted to make an app like that and sell it for 99p.
ed

21st Jun 09 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would be nice and simple. But would Apple allow it in the App Store because it would be taking money away from their own prducts? It just depends on what the API allows you to do, whether it you get it to perform tasks like that from a push update or not?
Paul_J

21st Jun 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Would be nice and simple. But would Apple allow it in the App Store because it would be taking money away from their own prducts? It just depends on what the API allows you to do, whether it you get it to perform tasks like that from a push update or not?

From what my mate was telling me... there's a event loop in the background - so although you can't run a app in the background, you can trigger a process to happen on a background event.

Since the phone has the capability to do things like 'alarms' based on time. I would propose doing a event based on a time (like a alarm would do), but instead get current location, post it to server and then set a new time in a hour to be triggered from.

Even if it isn't sellable, I'd be looking to do it as i wouldn't want to pay £12 per month for mobile me shite
John

21st Jun 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are loads of programs that do this on other platforms, i'd be surprised if something hasn't either already been or is in the process of being ported/
Paul_J

21st Jun 09 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
There are loads of programs that do this on other platforms, i'd be surprised if something hasn't either already been or is in the process of being ported/

Hope so.

My main fear of getting another iphone is losing it like i did my last one
ssj_kakarot

21st Jun 09 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm i dont get the hype about them tbh, yes ive used one and found it quite slow and really didnt see what the fuss was about, touch HD is far better, the palm pre looks amazing also.

apple are very good at marketing though.
Tim
Site Administrator

22nd Jun 09 at 08:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've never used an older iPhone, but the combo of OS 3.0 and the 3GS hardware is rather quick. Not sure what you found to be slow? It certainly needed MMS before I bought one...

It's all a matter of opinion which is "better". I was tempted by the Pre/Touch HD, but the initial Pre reviews weren't great and unfortunately I've been scarred by WinMo.

I used to be so anti-Apple/iPhone. Hate to say it but I'm converted, and I've got enough crap for it already at work
jezza

22nd Jun 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
htc touch hd is far better

I have an HTC Touch HD, and an iPod touch. Although you can do more with the HTC, it's too fiddly man compared to my iPod (and therefore iPhone).

I'd rather have an iPhone, but the fact I've got free, fully fledged TomTom on the HD is what keeps me with it.
Tim
Site Administrator

22nd Jun 09 at 20:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm really curious to know how much TomTom are going to charge for their TomTom iPhone app (or the holder). Hopefully won't be anywhere near the price of their actual hardware
bubble

22nd Jun 09 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

samsung jet is a good rival

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll