corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My GLS (time to make it look nice)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My GLS (time to make it look nice)
Richardhhha

User status: Offline
   25th May 09 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hay all well as some of you know my old GLS 5 door got written off recently.

after hunting around on the net i have found a replacment car to run me about in so not to bad there but i just couldnt let my first car just get crushed or have some pikey tear her to pieces soo i decided to rebuild her.

first off picy of the damage lol

so i set about stripping out the rear and taking all salvagable bits off the tail gait left me with this

then i set about drilling out all the spot welds holding the striker pin and panel in place leaving me with this

so after getting this off (took almost hour and half to do it bloody welds are tough) i decided to drill out the rear panel.. and boy oh boy there are a shit load of spot welds and because some of the metal is so twisted the buggers were almost imposable to get off so it ended up putting holes into the rear arches... will strip the under seal back and repair this some how lol (even if its fiber glass and then under sealing again.

uh oh i think it a lettle bent

and how it is now

decided to have a look at how the lamp wells could be fixed as lamps both sides had a gap like this

well after a little manuel bending with my hands i ended up with this

i know its the other side and it still isnt finnished needs a little more bending to get it all ok.

plans for the near future are:

remove and replace floor plan
replace the rear panel
replace the latch panel
spray it all
remove under seal in inner arches and repair small holes then re under seal
new tail gait
new rear bumper
new bumper inforcer

Engine work:
remove the x14xe and box
fit fully rebuilt and blue printed XE
fit F28 box (always liked the idea of 6 speed)
spray engine bay.

what you lot think?

[Edited on 25-05-2009 by Richardhhha]

[Edited on 25-05-2009 by Richardhhha]

[Edited on 17-08-2009 by Richardhhha]

[Edited on 24-08-2009 by Richardhhha]

[Edited on 29-08-2009 by Richardhhha]
daymoon
Premium Member

25th May 09 at 21:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair play for doing such massive job!

every one dreads of bent floors!

sleeper
Richardhhha

25th May 09 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

total sleeper

but im eriously thinking about putting some sport seats in as im fed up with no bolsters on the gls lol. outside is going to be totaly standard and i might even put the old 1.4 16v badge back on lol

the floor is going to be hard but hay i like my car and i dont want to get rid of it..
Richardhhha

25th May 09 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have never really done any body work ever before so all a learning experianc.

some of the metal is so thin tho so i am seriously thinking that at sertane places tiger seal is going to have to be used
p93sco

26th May 09 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had the kind of damage to my car so i did exactly the same new panel to bend the lights. take a while to get the panel sitting right but would never be able to tell it was writen off so well happy
Richardhhha

26th May 09 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where did you get a boot floor from? thats the only problem im finding is i cant find a floor panel.... bloody thing
daymoon
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think best bet would be to straighten out the floor pan. doesnt seem to be too bad..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Long-Nose-Clamp-2-Ton-use-with-Caroliner-jigs-or-Dozer_W0QQitemZ350196555139QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item5189575d83&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

and chain+ tree and you are sorted!
daymoon
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 12:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well then just drill out the wheel well and straighten out the floor pan.
p93sco

26th May 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i just straghtened it out. or if you have problems doing that just cut out bad bits and weld in new bits
Richardhhha

26th May 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its torn some of the metal which isnt good lol.. well started clearing off that dam crapy sticky stuff today anyone got any ideas on whats the best way?
daymoon
Premium Member

26th May 09 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ heat gun + paint thinners
Richardhhha

26th May 09 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will have to get the long extension lead and the thinners out then..
Richardhhha

28th May 09 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well just got a email back from someone i was hoping would do me a god deal on my body panels.. well they are a fairly good deal really.
£257 for the floor
£124 for the rear panel (need to ask him but im almost 100% thats with the boot latch pin bracket and panel aswell. so on with more scraping and sorting out when i can get the bits to me lol
Richardhhha

31st May 09 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well had a little play today, decided to just straighten the floor after finding it runs over the fuel tank down towards the front seats, a little big for my meager panel knowlage.. Have pulled out one side which now looks good well compared to what it was its 100% better, just waiting no my slide hammer and panel beating hammers and dollies then 4 can finnish it off, and get a welder to weld in a patch for the spare wheel well.. A little holy and torn... Let you know when more's done and i'll take pic's when floor is fully straightened.
daymoon
Premium Member

31st May 09 at 14:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good and good effort!
Richardhhha

31st May 09 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

floor should be streight the day after i get
my new tools
just bought a cheepo set of fleebay

so the fun can commence soon
Richardhhha

2nd Jun 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well after much fucking about with actualy getting th tools to the garage i decided i didnt like the creases in the boot floor soooo..

out came the dolies and hammers and well its not finnished but its a damn sight better than it was

misses took the photos lol as you can see the metal needs a little more corresing and shrinking but should be back to an acceptable condition very soon
daymoon
Premium Member

2nd Jun 09 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks much better! have you got enw panels yet?
Richardhhha

2nd Jun 09 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope just got to order them now, just waiting on my unkle as he can get trade at vaux.

quite a bit of welding needs doing to the spare wheel well but hay its a 14 year old car that has had a crash not to bad looking if i do say so myslf lol
Richardhhha

7th Jun 09 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok well unkle couldnt get trade and sent me to a website that he said the panels i need were cheep.
www.beeversautopanels.co.uk

said that rear panel, and bumper re-inforcment together with postage was £106. something

thought i could get better prices so went imperials
picked up these to be delivered on tuesday

Primed rear bumper QMP part
Rear bumper inforcment QMP part
Rear Panel QMP part

all in all with free postage its £114

thing that made me laugh was that a plane black rear bumper is £94 and the primed one is £46

cant wait till they get here then the car can get everything finaly put back together

[Edited on 07-06-2009 by Richardhhha]
daymoon
Premium Member

7th Jun 09 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really cheap prices!

but why you didnt buy second hand bumper though? would have been much cheaper! Plus you need to paint new one?

you got access to spot weldeR?
Richardhhha

7th Jun 09 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gona flud weld some of it mate so in essance im spot welding without spot welding... contradiction i know..

yeah i could of got a second hand bumper but i dought i'd ever get one with literaly no scratches or chips.. so new one cheap and its all there then, only got to get a tail gait and some plastics and its done
Richardhhha

18th Jun 09 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well finaly some kind of progress.. Got my panels from my parents place and this evening me and me dad decided to fit the rear panel.. Well what a total wanker it was.. Finaly got it in but it aint coming back out again.. Going to spray it in situe, just had to drill out yet more spot welds bend a lot of body work and cut a small section off to fit it, but its kinda now done.. Just got to sought out the majore gap going on between the floor and the panel.. Me thinks a bloody big hammer will do the trick and a few pop rivets to pull it all together.. I hope lol anyway keep you all posted. Pic's will be done when its finaly fitted properly and looks presentable and not like a bit of road kill like it does atm
Richardhhha

20th Jul 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well got a bit mroe done.

since beeing laid off work well i have had nothing to do apart from the car which i got to admit i have been a bit lazy with doing it.

well this is what it looked like the other day after finaly itting the rear panel and attatching the floor

i also couldnt beleave how much crap comes out of the boot

then i decided to get the old rattle cans out and give it a lick of paint.. only roughly done atm, not going to bother doing a A+ job where it cant be seen..

and then onto the floor... well i decided to cut out the rusty bit

and then make a patch for the floor

and thats how it stands atm, got to get my pairents to drop over my breaker bar and some tools so i can start with the under sealing the inner arches... so how do you think its comeing alone?
stu_c

20th Jul 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woo hoo

5 door ftmfw!!!!!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My GLS (time to make it look nice) 23 database queries in 0.1096091 seconds