corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Interesting 95% Mortgage Offering

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Interesting 95% Mortgage Offering
James

User status: Offline
20th May 09 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/may/20/lloyds-tsb-first-time-buyer-mortgage

Sounds like a good concept and appears to offer a very competitive interest rate.

However it will only really help people with rich/friends relatives.
Colin

20th May 09 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont personally know many people who's parents or grandparents can stump up 20% deposit or would want to to only get a 3.5% return.

I wouldnt qualify anyway as im not a 1st time buyer.
Ian W

21st May 09 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame I don't know anyone with 20k knocking about
Brabus

21st May 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would imagine that most 1st time buyers who have parents with £20k to spare wouldnt need to use the scheme. Another pointless exercise to boost the houseing market, after all, without FTB's the market will never pick up. The government should be doing more, a lot more if they want things to change.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

21st May 09 at 12:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think much of it

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
dannymccann

21st May 09 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brabus
I would imagine that most 1st time buyers who have parents with £20k to spare wouldnt need to use the scheme. Another pointless exercise to boost the houseing market, after all, without FTB's the market will never pick up. The government should be doing more, a lot more if they want things to change.

Exactly, why would I want to have only a 5% deposit put down, if you got the scope for 25% you would put most of that down and get a cheaper monthly payment surely

Either way, theres very few people who know someone with £20k knocking about
Brabus

21st May 09 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus with only 5% deposit your more likely to fall into negative equity the way house prices are still going, so why would you not have your parents/grandparents put the cash towards a bigger deposit.

[Edited on 21-05-2009 by Brabus]
jungle

21st May 09 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well our 25% was better off spent on the house means we have even less to pay back lol and means we will be morgage free by the age of 45 lol and i thinks thats good going
Cosmo

21st May 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thinks its more geared to the mid range sort of people, i.e. parents who have some spare cash (savings, equity in their own house, investments, etc.) but dont have enough to just hand over the £20k.

This way it allows them to give them the £20k for 42 months (I think thats what I read) and get it back at the end of it, but still actually helping their kids.
ash_corsa

21st May 09 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really dont see how this helps the real people who are looking to buy houses, nobody i know who is looking to buy their first house has parents with £20k in the bank

John

21st May 09 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know of at least one real person that this could benefit.
Brabus

22nd May 09 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

How many people do you know that could benefit from a straight up 95% no catches mortgage product....a lot more still needs to be done.
ash_corsa

22nd May 09 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Good for you
Cosmo

22nd May 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Of course it will benefit people, it just happens that none of you lot will be helped by it.

The bank wouldnt bother bringing it out and paying for all the marketing if it would appeal to a large number.
strick206

12th Jun 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the mortgage i think i will be using to getting my first house

My parents have the money to help with a deposit, bt would prefer to not have it tied up indefinately in a house (earning no interest) when they could have it in a savings account earning 3.5% gross which is possibly more than it is earning already
Ben G

13th Jun 09 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my nan said i can borrow some deposit monies for a house so this could be a good deal
AndyKent

13th Jun 09 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206
This is the mortgage i think i will be using to getting my first house

My parents have the money to help with a deposit, bt would prefer to not have it tied up indefinately in a house (earning no interest) when they could have it in a savings account earning 3.5% gross which is possibly more than it is earning already

There is still a legal tie on the money though, which is fine if you're parents have no plans to spend the money, but technically they can't withdraw it.....
ENB

15th Jun 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brabus
quote:

How many people do you know that could benefit from a straight up 95% no catches mortgage product....a lot more still needs to be done.

Who are the same people who contributed to the problem in the first place...
A2H GO

15th Jun 09 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mortage providers are starting to offer 90% LTV again, Nationwide recently and Britannia next week are just a couple.
John

15th Jun 09 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There have been 95% mortgages throughout, just with higher rates.
strick206

15th Jun 09 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think this mortgage is worth the paper it's written on tbh

After having a meeting today with the aim to sorting it out, we was quoted incorrect figures

Basically the money your parents put down, say it's a 100k house. you put 5k deposit, they put 20k in a savings account

The house has to have increased in value by 20k for that 20k to be released after three years. If not it goes on a shit rate for another year.

But i thought it would be something to bring the emount you need to borrow down, and re-mortgage for the full amount after three years

But you would still be making repayments on 95k. And imo the parents may aswell tie the money up in the house
Cavey

15th Jun 09 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just a better chance for first time buyers to get on the market though. The mortagages i've been looking at are 15% deposit minimum. This one is obviously 5%, which is a lot easier to find.

It means the parents, or grandparents who put up the 20k, get 3.5% interest, and in theory won't lose any money, instead of giving over 20k as a deposit, where they could risk it.

I'll hopefully be enquiring about this in the coming weeks, the missus had a call from her gran informing us about this, saying she'd put up the 20k in savings, so can seriously think about looking around now.

Unfortunately the ones we were looking at were OIRO of 109,950, but apparently they're attracting offers around 130 which we can't realistically afford at the moment
Cavey

15th Jun 09 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, an interest rate of 4.39% for 3 years is a lot better than the fixed rates i've seen on any of the 15% mortgages i've looked at
AndyKent

16th Jun 09 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem is with these sorts of mortgages is that they artificially help keep prices at a higher level, same goes with shared ownership.

What happens is that first-time buyers who couldn't normally afford a mortgage can now get one but if all these 'helpful' products disappeared the only option would be for house prices to fall to a more affordable level for everyone.

Especially shared ownership - complete rip-off and I'd advise anyone to avoid.
A2H GO

16th Jun 09 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
The problem is with these sorts of mortgages is that they artificially help keep prices at a higher level, same goes with shared ownership.

What happens is that first-time buyers who couldn't normally afford a mortgage can now get one but if all these 'helpful' products disappeared the only option would be for house prices to fall to a more affordable level for everyone.

Especially shared ownership - complete rip-off and I'd advise anyone to avoid.

Do you talk from experiance with regard to SO?

I understand that the schemes do artificially keep house prices high, but without them house prices wouldn't fall enough to enable first time buyers to buy the houses outright anyway.

For example based on £100,000 house on Shared Ownership, buying 50%, the buyer has to find 15% deposit = £7500

Without these schemes, lets say house prices were 20% less(which they wouldn't lets face it) House £80k, 15% Deposit = £12000

I got my house, a new build on SO at 50%, last year, i have since remortgaged and own it 100% outright. Without the scheme i would have been living in a crappy run down terrace with no drive/garden etc.

Also, say house prices did drop considerably witout the scheme, that would put a lot of home owners in negative equity anyway.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll