corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel engines - are they built stronger or is it coincidence?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Diesel engines - are they built stronger or is it coincidence?
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
11th Feb 09 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Common rail diesels are a different kettle of fish to the retro Isuzu lumps you are talking about
Daveskater
Premium Member

11th Feb 09 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There we go then They had a bar under the injectors to send the excess fuel back to the tank, I suppose they don't do that any more either

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
pow
Premium Member

11th Feb 09 at 12:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also have a return line
Daveskater
Premium Member

11th Feb 09 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
sand-eel

11th Feb 09 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I have one.

sure its not an air mass meter? as diesels have the same airflow forever as they have no throttle butterfly.
deano87

11th Feb 09 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Some answers I needed

this in relation to why you cant compare a 90k 1llitre 12v to a diesel engine from last night by any chance?

Kind off but I was never comparing a 90k 12v to a diesel Vectra
John

11th Feb 09 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
Originally posted by pow
I have one.

sure its not an air mass meter? as diesels have the same airflow forever as they have no throttle butterfly.

They still measure the airflow, MAF's don't measure the air mass directly, they are used in combination with other sensors.

If the flow never changed there would be no point using a turbo.

The engine still draws in more or less air depending how much fuel is being injected.
Warren G

11th Feb 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deisel engines are built stronger - due to the torque they put out

but iv seem a few bent conrods, even though they are massive! normaly desiel hydrualic

due to the lower revs it will last alot longer than petrols

ie a petrol at 80mph is doing about 4000rpm and a desiel is doing 2500rpm

which technology desiels are the furture, so much more fine tuning is avaible, doing the high pressure and the way combustion takes place,

turbos on petrols you have to lower the compression to stop preigntion, but desiels work with self combustion, (pre igntion) meaning you can run alot of boost!

petrol turbo - 9.0:1 compression ratio
desiel turbo - 20-25:1 compression ratio

also the new 2.0 turbo bio turbo runs 16:1 which is low for a derv, but must run massive boost!! prob make over 250bhp with a remap!

daymoon
Premium Member

11th Feb 09 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

while we talking about diesels.. at what revs on average should the gear be changed?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

11th Feb 09 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Redline

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
AK

11th Feb 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they dont rev nearly as much as petrol engine... revs are what normally wears an engine
Chris Bingham

11th Feb 09 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thought that the main reason for buying a diesel was MPG...so people buying them for that reason must be doing lots of miles therefore thats why you always see lots of high mileage diesels.

You wouldn't buy a diesel if you could get the same MPG out of a petrol..would you?

Also, perhaps the reason that they handle the miles well is cause they are mostly motorway miles and that doesn't wear a car as much. Never thought they were stronger than petrol, just more down to the way they were driven.

AndyKent

11th Feb 09 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
while we talking about diesels.. at what revs on average should the gear be changed?

Depends. My Golf has a 6k redline I think, but the turbo runs out at about 3.5k, so I rarely rev beyond that.
deano87

11th Feb 09 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just like a petrol car, it has optimum points in the rev range. It's just lower down I guess.
sand-eel

11th Feb 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
Originally posted by pow
I have one.

They still measure the airflow, MAF's don't measure the air mass directly, they are used in combination with other sensors.

If the flow never changed there would be no point using a turbo.

The engine still draws in more or less air depending how much fuel is being injected.

oh yeah I forgot about the turbo
Mertin

12th Feb 09 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Already been answered but yes diesel engines are built alot stronger, so they can handle the torque

You dont see petrol driven generators either do you? All big engines are diesel
Daveskater
Premium Member

12th Feb 09 at 19:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aPk
quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

Depends. My Golf has a 6k redline I think, but the turbo runs out at about 3.5k, so I rarely rev beyond that.
The redline in the Corsa C Combo I used to drive at work was just over 5k, I took it near that a few times, but the turbo tuns out at 4k so once you get past that it barely pulls at all

It was a 1.7DI, but still good enough to spin the wheels when the clutch is dumped at 2.5-3k rpm

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
DizzyRebel

12th Feb 09 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesels run higher compression so usually run a fully forged bottom end. Everything is usually over engineered in them to take the strain so they usually last a fair few miles.

they rev low because unlike petrol engines they produce peak power at low RPM due to the extra potency of the highly compressed a/f mixture.

But please, no one compare power and torque together or say one is better than the other or an engines tuned for more torque than power...

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel engines - are they built stronger or is it coincidence? 23 database queries in 0.0127449 seconds