corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » CarbonMods - New Overlaying Tutorial

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CarbonMods - New Overlaying Tutorial
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
9th Feb 09 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought this may be of interest to some of you who want to have a crack at overlaying/skinning parts without the expense of making mould tools. It would be ideal for dash sections; interior plastics or smaller external components.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rTWaV1imzs&feature=channel_page

There is also a how to guide for laminating parts from the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdVO8Rkv6c&feature=channel_page

I hope its of use

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by LiVe LeE]
Paul_J

9th Feb 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no offence, but just don't understand the point?

Carbon fibre = light material used for good weight saving.

Coating something in carbon fibre skin = no weight save...

It's like having a mr2 ferrari imo... You may think you're looking cool, but the whole process is pointless and the people with the real deal will just laugh at you.
Paul_J

9th Feb 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must admit the finished articles in that vid, do look quite well done

but still, it's just going to become the future 'tacky' mod that everyone has, same way everyone used to chrome everything (chrome mirrors, handles, etc).

I was looking at a car the other day that I was thinking of buying, but it had a full carbon boot and bonnet (for weight saving). I looked at it and it put me off, thinking 'hmm I'd have to get the boot and bonnet sprayed to the same colour of the rest of the car, otherwise I'd feel a twat.
elliott023

9th Feb 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i well wanna try this hmm
RichR
Premium Member

9th Feb 09 at 14:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

Its not really aimed at those who are looking for weight saving though - and those who are will continue to use carbon until a betetr alternative is commercially available (unlike chroming etc which was more of a purely cosmetic modification). Whilst I agree with your point, a lot of people want that carbon look and the only current alternative is look a like film. This is the real deal and is a project that anyone can undertake in their shed at home.

CarbonMods don't offer a skinning service and probably never will but the number of enquiries asking for the service mean that there is a potential market for the materials/kit to do it yourself. No-ones going to skin a bonnet (unless they're mad) but a few dash sections won't hurt anyone
Jenko_Sport

9th Feb 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have a look at this later when im on my comp. Where can u actualy buy carbon weave from though?
RichR
Premium Member

9th Feb 09 at 15:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he sells it through CarbonMods in any amount but a laminating starter kit is £39.10 and a skinning starter kit is £46.00

All prices here http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Departments/Tools-and-Supplies/Fabric--Resins-andamp--Kits.aspx
RichR
Premium Member

9th Feb 09 at 15:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's on Parkhall Ind. Estate just outside Longton/Weston Coyney so you could bob down to see him to save on postage etc
Paul_J

9th Feb 09 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

Its not really aimed at those who are looking for weight saving though -

and those who are will continue to use carbon until a betetr alternative is commercially available (unlike chroming etc which was more of a purely cosmetic modification).

Chroming = cosmetic modification
Carbon Skinning = costmetic modification.

Both are the same imo... the only difference is 'chroming' is now uncool. However carbon skinning is the dogs bollocks

I'm just saying, I await everyone realising how tacky 'carbon skinning' EVERYTHING is.

It's 'Cool', because 'cool' cars use real Carbon fibre to cut weight.

Carbon skinning is just trying to take a bit of that 'coolness' - but apply it to something that A ) isn't made out of carbon fibre, B ) is heavy and C ) is not a 100k super car.

Just think it's on a similar par as people sticking nurburgring stickers on the back of their car, when they've never been and never will go.
JM_16v

9th Feb 09 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i agree with Paul tbh. Carbon has a point, its not that it looks good its the fact what it stands for.

if you see a white car with a black people say its shit but when its carbon its cool... why? because of what it is because it saves weight on performance cars

carbon skinning is just as bad as the film.... it does the opposit to the real stuff it adds weight. in my opinion you would be closer if you stripped the paint off the bodywork
JM_16v

9th Feb 09 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love the fact that it says carbonfibre.co.uk at the end and on the last pic but through the hole thing it says .com

dont care if they have both its just stupid lol
bieransri

9th Feb 09 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theyve just produced some 'actual' carbon bits for a certain pete mcguinley. work is top notch! so they will do the moulds etc to manufacture real carbon bits, at a cost of course

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by bieransri]
Jamxe

9th Feb 09 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about people putting Gsi bumpers on their non gsi cars and the like.. Or doing an engine swap, can you say the isnt a real 2.0litre then..Stripping out ur car for the track look but only ever going to the shop in it!!! Isn't modifying about making your car look good?? Just because sumthing isn't real doesn't mean its stupid to have it.. Sum of the carbon skinned stuff looks really good.. The only problem I'd have is sumone trying to pass off skinned stuff as real carbon fibre..
Ste L

9th Feb 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamxe Isn't modifying about making your car look good??

no, my corsa b's nt being modded to look good? it's being done to go faster and abuse on track
Jamxe

9th Feb 09 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste L
quote:

no, my corsa b's nt being modded to look good? it's being done to go faster and abuse on track

Oh right... so its looks shit then... wotever mate.. so ur car is totally standard, nothing cosmetic done... running on steelies I suppose
Nic Barnes

9th Feb 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamxe
quote:
quote:

Oh right... so its looks shit then... wotever mate.. so ur car is totally standard, nothing cosmetic done... running on steelies I suppose

mine looks shit which makes it go faster.
Ste L

9th Feb 09 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will look stock on the outside, grey bumpers, no spoiler etc etc

alloy's are lighter than steels, so alloys used..

lowered to make it handle better not for look's
Jamxe

9th Feb 09 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
will look stock on the outside, grey bumpers, no spoiler etc etc

alloy's are lighter than steels, so alloys used..

lowered to make it handle better not for look's

Ya but ur makin out my comment was stupid.. Ur white corsa had a fair few mods done to make it "look good"... and was slammed on her ass too, hardly done for handling I like the way u modded the white one actually.. Why not have a nice looking fast track car..
Ste L

9th Feb 09 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldn't call it good look's - set of wheels, lowerered, stock bumpers?

also it was slow, so different to the current car

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by Ste L]
Jamxe

9th Feb 09 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i wouldn't call it good look's - set of wheels, lowerered, stock bumpers?

also it was slow, so different to the current car

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by Ste L]

To me thats good looks.. Factory look, maybe even sleeper, but nice and clean being the main thing...
Ste L

9th Feb 09 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing was, it wasn't clean, rusty as fuck, and never washed..

dont wash car's hence not bothered about looks
RichR
Premium Member

10th Feb 09 at 09:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
i love the fact that it says carbonfibre.co.uk at the end and on the last pic but through the hole thing it says .com

dont care if they have both its just stupid lol

I think he's rebranding at the moment - the American Market (which makes up about 35% of his customer base) love to buy things from the UK as opposed to USA.

Paul doesn't do any skinning work at all, only Carbon parts - however, due to the high volume of interest in overlaying and countless enquiries he does supply a kit and gives tuition on how to best achieve a good final result. In essence, there's a gap in the market for someone to supply this kit along with practical guidance so that ANYONE can have a go at home. It isn't necessarily just for cars, it may be for bikes, push bikes, ICE Installs, pencil cases, drinks bottles anything but having a go at skinning in your garage can eventually lead to having a go at laminating which in turn could lead to building your own tools (the next tutorial he's working on is a simple mould tool build) and then your own parts.

Enough people want to have a go at it so who are you (or who is anyone for that matter) to tell them they're wrong! You're more than entitled to an opinion but at the end of the day so are those who want to skin something.

The point I was making with regards to Chroming being a purely cosmetic modification is just that it is and always will be purely for looks. However Carbon work is seated in performance and weight saving; those who are striving to save weight will always use carbon/kevlar/glass parts to achieve an end result (wether it be painted or not); it will always be used regardless of wether some kid with a corsa/punto/saxo/106/clio/ka has overlaid their wing mirrors with carbon.

The skinning tutorial and kit is not aimed at people like you; the core business is aimed at you with lightweight, full carbon seats; replacement panels; mirror units; interior fittings; bulkeads. However, at the end of the day business is business and income must be generated, the skinning kit takes very little work to put together and generates income which allows the business to develop new fixtures and fittings for those seeking weight savings. It also allows them to draw down the costs or those lightweight components which are aimed at people like you

RichR
Premium Member

10th Feb 09 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bieransri
theyve just produced some 'actual' carbon bits for a certain pete mcguinley. work is top notch! so they will do the moulds etc to manufacture real carbon bits, at a cost of course

[Edited on 09-02-2009 by bieransri]

thats all they do, they don't produce skinned parts at all, everything is carbon from the tool stage. Some is glass backed to reduce cost to the end user but the vast majority is pure carbon manufactured using pre-preg 2-2twill carbon which is vacuum bagged and cured under heat and pressure to produce the most ridiculously light, yet incredibly strong components
RichR
Premium Member

10th Feb 09 at 09:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
i agree with Paul tbh. Carbon has a point, its not that it looks good its the fact what it stands for.

if you see a white car with a black people say its shit but when its carbon its cool... why? because of what it is because it saves weight on performance cars

carbon skinning is just as bad as the film.... it does the opposit to the real stuff it adds weight. in my opinion you would be closer if you stripped the paint off the bodywork

You'll also find that I put up a guide to Carbon laminating which gives an individual the ability to produce their own components from carbon (if they have the tool available) and once again allows that individual to do it at home in the shed!
Jenko_Sport

10th Feb 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Them carbon mirrors are cool, want.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » CarbonMods - New Overlaying Tutorial 22 database queries in 0.0974369 seconds