corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New Track Car - Impreza STi

New Poll
  <<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Track Car - Impreza STi
AK

User status: Offline
25th Mar 10 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

two intentially missed bits Sensor boss, and expansion / flexi joint.

Heads....

The heads that were on my last engine, and intended to use on my new lateral 2.1 were sent to RCM for a refresh - (ported, and race cam'd V3 heads)

Here's what they have to say about them.

quote:
Given what they are planned to be used for I would not recommend that they are suitable for the application for the following reasons:

• They have previously been skimmed and sadly the skim has been exceptionally “rough” leaving numerous scores in the head faces which can be felt with your thumb nail.
• The seats on the head where the camshafts rotate in are more worn / scored than usual suggesting that the engine the heads belonged to has suffered bearing failure at some point. As I am sure you are aware when an engine bearing fails debris is created and then carried around the engine via the oil ways and this can lead to excess wear to any parts exposed to the oil. In the case of these heads they appear to have seen their fair share of debris hence why we would not deem them suitable for any high powered project.
• There is also some evidence of deterioration around the inner combustion area between the valve seats and spark plug entry area which has resulted in minor cracks. Again not ideal for a high power / performance project.
Thinking sensibly I tend to agree with there opinions. The face does look pretty damn rough, and the journals scored. Can anything be done to fix these problems, and is it actually cost effective to do so?

here are the pics of them (v3 heads)

I have spare heads (v4 STi heads)(tried to sell them but encountered an non-paying EBAY idiot...)

Have a look at these pics. They look in better condition, but one cam cap is damaged/missing (is this as big a problem as some folk make out?)

The cam journals are pretty smooth, just some dust in them (the heads havent been stripped and cleaned since removing from 2nd last engine)

a_j_mair

25th Mar 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New heads quite expensive then?

if you are spending alot of money elsewhere is it not best idea to get new heads and then you have peace of mind and hopefully better reliability?
AK

25th Mar 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm not getting new heads....

For the headwork, parts in the worked 'buggerd' heads would have prob been about £1500

I've the option of my spare STi4's, a friends worked sti4's, and a set of STi2 heads and STi6 heads. I'll hopefully get the all together tomorrow and see what what with them.

Worst case is my 'standard' V4's are ok and I'll pop race cams in them.

Best case - the 'new' second set of worked heads i'm picking up tomorrow are perfect. If so I'll fit my race cams to them.

I dread to think would new new heads would cost even worse VVC heads :O
AK

25th Mar 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oof...

For a PAIR of uprated heads (new) your talking £3000

For a single new 'empty' head is £550, so £1100 just for the heads... never mind the valves, springs, caps, seats bla bla bla

Taxi
AK

11th May 10 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

starting to get everything ready for the engine

Sump off the old one and ready to be cleaned out

a fair amount of swarf in the bottom of it, but not as bad as the last one :/
AK

11th May 10 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

baffled sump cleaned and back together! Much easier to clan than the standard 'slicer' sump

Wrighty

11th May 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
oof...

For a PAIR of uprated heads (new) your talking £3000

For a single new 'empty' head is £550, so £1100 just for the heads... never mind the valves, springs, caps, seats bla bla bla

Taxi

IF i was minted, id have no trouble speccing some cosworth goodie filled heads..but with a lot of high spec cars being broken, im just gonna wait and pounce on some for my forged lump..you still spend abit, but save so much more!
AK

11th May 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My heads were almost 1k..... and thats not inc buying them, the porting etc.

They are V3 Sti heads....

Flowed, ported, cut back valve stems etc - by SMG
Titanium valve gear
Supertec valves
Piper race cams.

The heads arent shy,

I have a spare set of worked STi 4 heads if you are interested. Cant r'ber who did them but they were on a ZEN engine, ported, cut back valve stems etc.

Also a spare standard STi 4 set

2 spare semi CDB's too Stock Pile!
broster
Premium Member

12th May 10 at 06:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with the cam caps you can get the mating face skimmed then hone them back out again to give a nice clean finish, same with the one missing a cap, put a spare cap on it skim the mating face and hone it out again.

what route did you go with them in the end? shame not to put ported heads on it with the rest of the engine spec
AK

12th May 10 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read one post before yours
AK

26th May 10 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine going in soon

AK

26th May 10 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the old engine back at the workshop, and will strip it to see whats failed when I get some time.

It has 92.5mm RCM Omega forged pistons though.... so IF they are in good shape I might have a fairly decent spec 'spare' engine (paired with old ZEN heads) to build as a bit of a learning experience

[Edited on 26-05-2010 by AK]
AK

7th Aug 10 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new wheels arrived... 9" x 17". Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2

Wrighty

10th Aug 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice!
AK

10th Aug 10 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fee should be taking it out for some track action on Monday. Hope to get some vids n' shit.

All depends on the interim wheels fitting If they dont clear the calipers the Skyline will need wheeled out.
AK

12th Aug 10 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some RR plots :S

Kurt

12th Aug 10 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you ever need any o.e bits give me a shout
flybikeslee

12th Aug 10 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new rims yesssssss
AK

12th Aug 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hopefully they'll fit without having to get really really serious on the arches

I am going to have to chop and weld as it is - but hope it wond need heeps or work
Ellis

13th Aug 10 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought I'd seen this on the trailer heading out of Wallace the other day, it was it afterall.
Leighton

14th Aug 10 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you need to take off the front bumper to get it on the brian? is that because of the splitter you made?
AK

17th Aug 10 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ellis - probably, it was in there getting initail map etc (360bhp).... will be back once its done a few more miles and oil is switched to synthetic

Leighton Na, it goes onto the trailer with the spiltter on (It did on the last trailer anyway and this is a tiltbed lower slung one). It was off just to keep it out of the way during engine change.

back on track.....

a pic showing its lovely gold wheels LOL mmm mmm

Fee needed to fit a 5mm shim to clear the struts on the rears - high offset wheels, about 2deg camber.

The Advans dont clear the front brakes so they'll be up for sale soon.

also looks like a fair amount of weight transfer (to the rear under acel) going on in the pic... no idea what she had the susp set up as, or even if the ride heights are quite right LOL
DannyB
Premium Member

17th Aug 10 at 13:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looked ok on them wheels I thought, had a look around it when it was in the paddock too, stripped out isnt the word no issues last night I take it?
AK

17th Aug 10 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some issues - more to do with confusions than anything. Fee wasnt pushing it at all. Revs were limited to 7000rpm. Nothing mechanical or serious i hope.

Brake pads werent changed so its basically using KSport supplied sanitary towels as pads

Susp - unknown setup and ride heights.

Was basically a shake down.

Interior. I'm going to remove the windwcreen and put some gussets on the cage - good excuse to fix the seal on the feckin window. Some more seam welding and spray the interior I think.

It is 'sparse' though. Was it running 1 or 2 seats?

Fee's commented that it generally felt like it wanted to take off down duffis compared to her big bertha bruiser.

[Edited on 17-08-2010 by AK]
DannyB
Premium Member

17th Aug 10 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One seat as far as I can remember, it still looked quick past the start/finish straight though.

<<  11    12    13    14    15    16    17  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New Track Car - Impreza STi 23 database queries in 0.8805552 seconds