corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New Track Car - Impreza STi

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Track Car - Impreza STi
Andy Stocker

User status: Offline
22nd Sep 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did the arches on the Punto with a pair of pliers
AK

23rd Sep 09 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look ok?
Andy Stocker

23rd Sep 09 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should have put foam or padding on the teeth as it left marks so had to smooth them over, but it was very easy
AK

23rd Sep 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine fired up last night... good oil pressure, no leaks etc but a bit slappy when cold and lumpy.

Slappy - prob just the forged pistons/clearences

Lumpy - hopefully just the cams.

That was just on the old SARD ecu, so it should be better when the car is mapped on the PowerFC tonight
Andy Stocker

23rd Sep 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top banana
AK

23rd Sep 09 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

initial mapping... 306bhp (dunno torque yet). 440cc injectors are max'd. 0.8bar of boost on 20G, full boost by 4200'ish rpm. Nice and revy engine.... but a bit funny sounding (piston slap)

Hmmm... might need to find some bigger injectors before snetterton and brakes, and better susp....
AK

25th Sep 09 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new engine in.... its a bit slappy when running... but if it holds together i can cope

didnt get a chance to re-paint the inlet... so doest look very different to the old engine bigger turbo.

Old engine.... going to strip it down at home for a look. Aone kow the size and shape of standard EJ20 head bolts?

starting the stripping...

Whats left of the big end bearing on No2. Think the whole bearing has disintegrated!

AK

26th Sep 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 screw on the oil pump cover loose... could have been costly (but the bearing beat it to failing!)

RH head... (seems to have LIN and LEX cams same as LH head :S)

RH pistons

LH pistons

LH Head

nice crosshatching on bores... pistons look in good shape too.

AK

30th Sep 09 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New or rather inreased and flow matched 440 injectors on there way from Lateral. Cheers Mark

Around about 900cc, so lots of head room for E85. Should hopefully have them by the end of the week, with the adapters for phase1... and mapped next week in time for the final TA round.
sand-eel

30th Sep 09 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surprised those engines are the "water jacket" type, but clearly they must be strong enough for big power.
AK

30th Sep 09 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the slightly earlier version (1/2/3) are closed deck/solid.
AK

3rd Oct 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ordered some new CarboTech XP8's for the front.... think its Endless something or other in there just now. Ordered SPA duel oil temp/pressure gauge.

Fitted the pull chords for the plumbed in fire extinguisher too, just need to run the tube and nozzles now.

Stripped another 4.8kg out too... more sound-deadning, some brackets and vents etc

AK

3rd Oct 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New injectors arrived... thanks for the quick turn around Mark/Lateral.

900cc (increased and flowmatched phase 2 STi 440's) injectors & adapters for my phase1 rails.

some pics

AK

3rd Oct 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitted the 900cc injectors, with twin hole pintles....and some wee jobs, reflective alu tape on IC pipework above turbo, and fitted a big E sticker for the fire ext pull on the scuttle.

old 440 phase1 injectors in rails with caps removed. (removed the O/S rail as its easier to get the bevelled washer in and work on the rails)

scabby inlet sans fuel rail... really needs a paint. (thats where i put the bevelled washers (bevel up)... I trust that is correct )

injector collar to fit phase 2 to phase 1.

collar fitted to phase 2 900cc (increased phase2 440)

new injectors in rail with spaces and caps.

Compensated the map/fueling by scaling the injectors to 55%. That should do for the short drive to get it on the rollers and mapped properly again.

Old phase1 440cc STi injectors

AK

3rd Oct 09 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done plumbing in the extinguisher now.... 1 nozzle for driver, 1 for engine. Will prob add two more nozzles in the future to include a passenger and further coverage in the engine bay

Adam-D

3rd Oct 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good.
AK

4th Oct 09 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

removed another couple og KG today, fitted bonnet pins and the carbon dive boards (had them for a while lying round the house)

and a wee wash... car is manky though and needs something better to get all the oily marks off it.

seem to have made a small dent whilst rolling the arches LOL

AK

6th Oct 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had it remapped and hit a couple of more issues...

Cant get more than 1.5bar - actuator too weak

Misfire at just over 6000rpm. Any thoughts?! All the usual electrical suspects were checked, and swapped for known working items. CAS, Coil Pack, leads, new plugs etc..... Looking for any other suggestions.

Results -

360bhp @ 6083rpm
321lb/ft @ 5190rpm

At 1.5bar peak, falling to 1.25bar

graphs

sand-eel

6th Oct 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very peaky engine indeed
AK

7th Oct 09 at 07:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats with another 2000rpm to go too Standard rev limit is 8200rpm, i'm going to have to short shift at 6k
allza

7th Oct 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a bad result. Will be better when its running properly. Looks a bit laggy though. Mine makes full boost at just under 4k on the rollers.
AK

8th Oct 09 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BuddyClub big gay wing on... thanks to Paul at SPD

AK

13th Oct 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it was fun... and really highlighted where i need to improve the car... and remided me I need to stay calm when driving (never seems to happen)

1st hot lap of first TimeAttack session... too hot into to Russels chicane...

Car...... is still running despite 500+mile drive down, fullday open pit trackday on sat, TA on sun and 500+mile drive home today....only had a couple of minor hicups all weekend. It split a wee coolant hose after a hard run. It didnt go on track, but when sitting back it the pits, Was a ballache to get at being right under the inlet (wee 90deg short hose). Got some stronger hose and help from a smaller handed Matty from Wallace Performance Also blew a boost hose off in practice.... (had that pipework off to fix coolant hose!)

It seems to be puffing out smoke on high boost.... i'm not convinced its turbo seals, as sometimes you see it from the driver side front :l reassuring when flat out from 4th to 5th!! (only smoke on gearchanges) Nothing dripping or leaking, but there is oil mist round the inside of the drivers wing. Need to investigate further. I still have the standard breather plumbing.

I could feel the misfire around 6000rpm and up when running anything over 1bar.... but just kept my foot to the floor and hoped for the best....

My fastest lap was a low 1:21... not far off Phill England (0.3s) in the yellow STi V3 TypeR. He was my target before hand... so in a way its good that I got close at the first attempt (his third year i think)... but a bit that i didnt beat him looking back at my fastest lap (blocked, messy etc). Phill is running low 300's but with better susp/brakes and a lighter car... so my 357bhp should even that out

Huge thanks to the guys at Wallace Performance for some last minute work (whilst putting the Skyline back together)... Mark at Lateral for quick delivery of parts on the run up to sunday too
sand-eel

13th Oct 09 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by allza
Not a bad result. Will be better when its running properly. Looks a bit laggy though. Mine makes full boost at just under 4k on the rollers.

Doesn't really matter for a race engine, you can sacrifice low end power/torque for better power/torque at higher revs as it will be at the higher rev range for most of the time.
Ellis

13th Oct 09 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seen this, along with your Skyline, for the first time the other day - noticed it at Wallace when I was walking up to the other office.

Both cars are quite something in the flesh.

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » New Track Car - Impreza STi 23 database queries in 0.2038350 seconds