corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Weekly Focus RS thread

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weekly Focus RS thread
Daimo B

User status: Offline
18th Dec 08 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad

*without sounding jumped up* Seriously how?

I'm agreement with Robin here The VXR-R is nothing more than something thats had suspension bolt ons and a remap and been tested on the back streets of Luton. (Sorry Ollie)

I'm not saying the RS is better but all you can hear are assumptions based on opinions here. I think its pretty safe to say we will have to wait to see the motoring press take on this.

Oh and Ollies yes that Knuckle technology has been around for a while even the Megane diesel 170 runs that set up.

[Edited on 18-12-2008 by Fad]

VXR-R has been developed using the Thorney VXR RACING car from the Dunlop sports max championship for the last 2 years... As i said Not round some back streets of luton.

Also, the "stage" tuning has been refined and developed since before we got our astra in 2006.... Thats a lot of time to refine maps. From the first 6 months alone of ownership I know the mapped changed at least 4 times, and customers could come back and have the car reflashed for free with the upgrade. Even things like the IC and exhaust system have been refined.

So no, not the "back streets of luton" as you say

Likewise with the suspension. You don't thing 2 years of MOTORSPORT testing on all the tracks round the UK gives some form of a good setup???

Hopefully that clears up the mis-understanding of how the thorney tuned car has come about

Also, didnt 888 racing also use KW coilovers on the astra BTCC car? OK they wern't the same setup at all, but surley lessons have been learnt on the setup from this in the road going coilovers.

Still, VXR will be proper stiff on the road, even the standard one is a harsh ride on the road, but that stiffness will aid it on track. The RS will be more civilised on the road, have a slightly softer susension on it.

[Edited on 18-12-2008 by VXR]
Joe

18th Dec 08 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who really buys a car based on how quick it can go round a track though?

Watching CS lately, all that people talk about is how quick it will lap the ring. Does it really matter that much?

Based on yet more assumptions, I'd say at least the Focus will have a better balance of comfort/performance.
Ojc

18th Dec 08 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VXR-R has been tested a lot more than you think. Like Daimo has already been mentioned all of the parts on the VXR-R has been tested on Thorneys Dunlop Sport Maxx entry Astra VXR, the VXR-R has been tested at Brunthingthorpe. It hasn't been just thrown together at all.
Fad

18th Dec 08 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
Originally posted by Fad

*without sounding jumped up* Seriously how?

I'm agreement with Robin here The VXR-R is nothing more than something thats had suspension bolt ons and a remap and been tested on the back streets of Luton. (Sorry Ollie)

I'm not saying the RS is better but all you can hear are assumptions based on opinions here. I think its pretty safe to say we will have to wait to see the motoring press take on this.

Oh and Ollies yes that Knuckle technology has been around for a while even the Megane diesel 170 runs that set up.

[Edited on 18-12-2008 by Fad]

VXR-R has been developed using the Thorney VXR RACING car from the Dunlop sports max championship for the last 2 years... As i said Not round some back streets of luton.

Also, the "stage" tuning has been refined and developed since before we got our astra in 2006.... Thats a lot of time to refine maps. From the first 6 months alone of ownership I know the mapped changed at least 4 times, and customers could come back and have the car reflashed for free with the upgrade. Even things like the IC and exhaust system have been refined.

So no, not the "back streets of luton" as you say

Likewise with the suspension. You don't thing 2 years of MOTORSPORT testing on all the tracks round the UK gives some form of a good setup???

Hopefully that clears up the mis-understanding of how the thorney tuned car has come about

Also, didnt 888 racing also use KW coilovers on the astra BTCC car? OK they wern't the same setup at all, but surley lessons have been learnt on the setup from this in the road going coilovers.

Still, VXR will be proper stiff on the road, even the standard one is a harsh ride on the road, but that stiffness will aid it on track. The RS will be more civilised on the road, have a slightly softer susension on it.

[Edited on 18-12-2008 by VXR]

You sound like Dave A

j/k
Daimo B

18th Dec 08 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Who really buys a car based on how quick it can go round a track though?

Watching CS lately, all that people talk about is how quick it will lap the ring. Does it really matter that much?

Based on yet more assumptions, I'd say at least the Focus will have a better balance of comfort/performance.

Depends on what your buying the car for.

If its a weekend toy, track toy etc, then yeah how it performs on track will matter....

If your using it for work and a daily drive, then why would anyone want either of these cars at all (bar for attention whoaring).

Lap of nurb defines how good a chassis setup it has and its overal pace.

But really, unless your entering either cars into competition, it means diddly squat. Some cars might be much much slower, but far more fun, raw, and interesting to drive. The other might be faster, but be smooth, refined and easy, but boring.....

Daimo B

18th Dec 08 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad

You sound like Dave A

j/k

Wouldnt your rather have factual information on the development, or something you think? I've not said either car will be overal better, just stating your errors on how the car was built. Im sure Ford have spent a
LOT more time and money on the RS development though. Hence why I think where it really matter (the road) it'll be a better car.

@ DaveA, I try tohelp people, not bend them over, lube them up, rape them, then steal their money
Ojc

18th Dec 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lap of Nurburgring is important and is a massive test of a cars credentials, hence why whenever a new performance car is built it is take straight Nurburgring, it's been going on years, only the past couple of years people are paying attention to it.
Joe

18th Dec 08 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
A lap of Nurburgring is important and is a massive test of a cars credentials, hence why whenever a new performance car is built it is take straight Nurburgring, it's been going on years, only the past couple of years people are paying attention to it.

I appreciate that, my point is does it really matter to the average man apart from pub talk?!

On a car that will spend 90% of its time on british roads, it seems a pointless way to decide a good/bad car.
Ojc

18th Dec 08 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It matters to the people it matters to, people buying a performance hatch WILL care about these things.

Obviously if you can't drive (see Subaru drivers with fancy AWD systems who are slower than torque steering bad handling Vauxhalls) those times make no difference what so ever.
Daimo B

18th Dec 08 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Line cast .....
Ojc

18th Dec 08 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love it, Jr will love it when he sees it
Fad

18th Dec 08 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the madatory reponse of Toyo 888 and balls of steel will be made
Ojc

18th Dec 08 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly, TBH people are better off with Burgandy Astras with a set of 888's will be the best weapon on a track known to man
jr

18th Dec 08 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Exactly, TBH people are better off with Burgandy Astras with a set of 888's will be the best weapon on a track known to man

MoesTavern

18th Dec 08 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
Originally posted by nik
I don't think 4000 is limited at all. BMW has sold around 1200 M3 coupes so far of the E92 variant, and you see at least one every couple of day's...

I'm not saying it going to be really rare. But as i've said already, they are limiting the amount of RSs produced, therefor it is a limited run.

The point is, once they reach 4000, they won't keep making them, hense the word "LIMITED".

Bollocks. 4000 cars is a limited run is it? plus you really think they won't make more if they sell out? have a word
John

18th Dec 08 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc

I appreciate that, my point is does it really matter to the average man apart from pub talk?!

On a car that will spend 90% of its time on british roads, it seems a pointless way to decide a good/bad car.

Only figure that matters for the majority of people is if it'll win away from a set of traffic lights until the next roundabout, majority of people don't care how fast it can go round the ring with a racing driver driving it.
MoesTavern

18th Dec 08 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ring times have become marketing de rigeur for performance cars for the last couple of years, although tbh 'My car laps the 'ring in so-and-so time' makes you sound like an utter cockhead.
Robin
Premium Member

18th Dec 08 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoesTavern
quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
quote:
Originally posted by nik
I don't think 4000 is limited at all. BMW has sold around 1200 M3 coupes so far of the E92 variant, and you see at least one every couple of day's...

I'm not saying it going to be really rare. But as i've said already, they are limiting the amount of RSs produced, therefor it is a limited run.

The point is, once they reach 4000, they won't keep making them, hense the word "LIMITED".

Bollocks. 4000 cars is a limited run is it? plus you really think they won't make more if they sell out? have a word

They made 4501 mk1 FRSs, all at a reputed loss of around £7000, all sold, they didn't make more even to suit demand.
Colin

18th Dec 08 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant see them making any more than 4k, the new focus comes out in 2010?

I would still like one, not 100% sure though & id need to see it in the metal. £26500 can buy a lot of car just now!!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
18th Dec 08 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That Monaro in Arnold Shark at £21k is a little expensive. There's another red VXR in the trader at the moment for £13k. There were no LS2 VXRs below £20k when I was looking before I got the Astra. Now they're Astra money. Boohoo.
Colin

30th Dec 08 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White looks rather nice

Jules

30th Dec 08 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The bonnet vents look like stick on RGM tat from a Demon Tweeks catalogue 10 tears ago.......
Eck
Premium Member

30th Dec 08 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
It matters to the people it matters to, people buying a performance hatch WILL care about these things.

Obviously if you can't drive (see Subaru drivers with fancy AWD systems who are slower than torque steering bad handling Vauxhalls) those times make no difference what so ever.

The WRX will be slower. The STi will beat it in every and any performance catagory. Fact.
BluKoo

31st Dec 08 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hhmmm... white does look tasty.
SVM 286

31st Dec 08 at 01:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules
The bonnet vents look like stick on RGM tat from a Demon Tweeks catalogue 10 tears ago.......

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Weekly Focus RS thread 22 database queries in 0.2029381 seconds