corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Good "Starters" tool kit?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Good "Starters" tool kit?
Graham88

User status: Offline
19th Nov 08 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh & Alan, that's Halfords Professional Range, I bought that one too a couple of weeks ago

That's a great bit of kit too, I would probably use that if I had both to hand, because if anything breaks that's covered by warranty, but lets be honest, I've broken 1 socket in 4 years of using tools, it's a rare occurence
alan-g-w

19th Nov 08 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah rite, boo.
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Nov 08 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol u think u spent alot on tools, went on the snap on van last week and spent a total of £245 and only got:

Deep neck spanners £70
a big pry bar £70

and worst of all

8 screwdrivers and a rachet screw driver £105

but saying that that little box with tools in that pic is ok for the money but dnt expect them to last long if u use them alot.

also the rachet will break if u try to undo anything that is tight.

[Edited on 19-11-2008 by Graeme]
harrisp

19th Nov 08 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Halford proffessional tools are excellent, Ive got sockets from that range that I have hammered onto locking wheel nuts and haven't split any, a mate of mine uses his halfords pro sockets on a impact wrench and hasn't broke any yet.

I haven't managed to break my ratchet yet and it gets a lot of abuse including being used as a punch.
BeArDy

19th Nov 08 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halfords 150 bit set its £100
I still use it today and i have a massive Snapon box and tools

EDIT heres the link, best on the market for the money in my eyes. I started out with one of these, and done loads of conversions with just this kit.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173083_langId_-1_categoryId_165572_partNumber_370635?jspStoreDir=HalfordsConsumerDirect&mpe_id=58775&cm_cr=No+Campaign-_-Web+Activity-_-07-0810-workshop-r1-_-STAGCAT_ESPOTRIGHT_165532-_-07-0810-workshop-r1&catalogId=10151&evtype=CpgnClick&intv_id=100928&langId=-1&storeId=10001&ddkey=ClickInfo

[Edited on 19-11-2008 by BeArDy]
bieransri

19th Nov 08 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'd soon notice if you used them everyday.

i like the fact i dont have to go to halfords to replace my tools, snap on comes to work.

something breaks, no questions just gets sorted/replaced.

id buy the 1/4drive and 3/8s drive blue point kits for a good starting kit. maybe even just the 3/8s as that has plenty required to start and build on.
BeArDy

19th Nov 08 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bieransri
you'd soon notice if you used them everyday.

i like the fact i dont have to go to halfords to replace my tools, snap on comes to work.

something breaks, no questions just gets sorted/replaced.

id buy the 1/4drive and 3/8s drive blue point kits for a good starting kit. maybe even just the 3/8s as that has plenty required to start and build on.

I agree i now have Snap On and MAC BUT for a starter who isent in the trade who wants a good kit which can do 90% of things yo can not beat it.
John

19th Nov 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although the snap on stuff is good people just buy stuff for the sake of it, some of it is even rebranded cheap stuff.

£70 for a pry bar, come on now.
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Nov 08 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the blue point little roller trolley full of tools is good but i thinks it pretty pricey, especially for the ocasionall user, but i always look at it, the cost over my life time is not alot as i wana keep these tools for a long time to come.
BeArDy

19th Nov 08 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like with most things you pay for a name

Plus if that Pry bar was £70 new then it would be worth £60 second hand so they hold there value........
Graeme
Premium Member

19th Nov 08 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
£70 for a pry bar, come on now.

its a massive pry bar that i needed for a rolls royce but most people wouldnt need them that big, for 4 smaller pry bars off snap on it was about £75 and there well worth it imo.
John

19th Nov 08 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree totally with paying for quality, the pry bars will be exactly the same as any other half decent pry bar at a fraction of the cost though.
ali_corsa

19th Nov 08 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

look on ebay if you want good deals, i got an limited edition aston martin top box with half inch 3/8's and 1/4 socket and rachets, raachet spanners pliers for £150 and they are all mac
bieransri

19th Nov 08 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got that pry bar, the other set of 4 and snap on 'grip' mini screw driver set for £105+

disagree on it being the same as any other cheaper pry bar because the cheaper brands wont replace it if it bends, or the ends fracture/snap.

im sure if like snap on they were confident it wont happen, they would offer this
Ben-B

19th Nov 08 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Life time garentue with Snap on chip a bit of chrome off a snap on tool and youll get a new un free, same with Facom

Off topic, but are crescent any good as my uncle has a spare set of crescent spanners and ratchet set but dont know if theyre decent
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

19th Nov 08 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the 250+ piece box out of Halfords was £49.99 last year so said why not, can't go wrong for that price!

I also have a mate who works in Halfords and any bits I have damaged he has replaced with Halfords pro bits for me so I can't complain!

If you can get the 250 piece tool chest thing for around £50 its well worth it, I've ripped my hole car apart using it over passed few months, only bent one bar!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Good "Starters" tool kit? 23 database queries in 0.0107930 seconds