corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Broadband without a BT Landline

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Broadband without a BT Landline
Corsa93

User status: Offline
2nd Jul 08 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK currently my houshold has NTL/Virgin Tv and landline phone, but we're kind of getting fed up with the broaband we've got and we are looking at possible alternatives.

After a bit of looking, alot of the big companies require BT Landlines in order to take advantage of their offers. Does anyone know of some service providers that dont require BT landlines, or can anyone offer any other relevent advice???

Thanks in advance
Dom

3rd Jul 08 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, for any form of ADSL you NEED a BT landline. Otherwise you're limited to Virgin if you're in a cabled area.

Only other options are Satellite Broadband, Microwave link or getting a lease line plumbed in. Either of these option are far from cheap though
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Easiest way, which is the way I do, is just use mobile broadband. The USB modems are only £49.99 from 3 now. They're on PAYG too, so you can just top up as and when.

http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/?modem=1&id=1201
Robbo

3rd Jul 08 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mobile broadband... Vodafones is better than 3s though, much better

(Brett )

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template04&pageID=MB_0001&WT_ref=Homepage-Layer3-Banner-MBB-190608-2
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you wanna be tied into a contract with a company that potentially you won't get reception with, when it's exactly the same price for Pay as you go with someone else, then fair enough.

I know which one I'd choose....and did.

Remember, I don't work for the company i'm advising you to go with, where as robbo does and wants to make money off you.

Robbo bases his argument on award vodafone won for this or that. Don't forget, the Fiat 500 won car of the year, does that mean you'd have one of those? Hmmm.

Right back at ya Robbo
Robbo

3rd Jul 08 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is though its not just my opinion, its fact

Yes 3 has slightly higher %age of 3G coverage but shouldn't affect many people (although ironically it does affect me )

We have the exact same deals as 3, same 30 day thing if you want etc etc but our device is better, and MUCH better customer service

besides, if you have no coverage then you are legally allowed to break the contract!
bubble

3rd Jul 08 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
If you wanna be tied into a contract with a company that potentially you won't get reception with, when it's exactly the same price for Pay as you go with someone else, then fair enough.

I know which one I'd choose....and did.

Remember, I don't work for the company i'm advising you to go with, where as robbo does and wants to make money off you.

Robbo bases his argument on award vodafone won for this or that. Don't forget, the Fiat 500 won car of the year, does that mean you'd have one of those? Hmmm.

Right back at ya Robbo

if there is no coverage-u can leave.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux

Yeah, robbo said that

I don't see why this has to be an issue every time tbh. You really do suck voda-dick, robbo.

Choose what you want Corsa93, but even robbo has admitted 3 have better coverage and the fact it's PAYG AND the same price as their contract makes them the winner in my eyes.

Funny how everyone isn't with vodafone even though they've got so many awards under their belt.
bubble

3rd Jul 08 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yeah, robbo said that

I don't see why this has to be an issue every time tbh. You really do suck voda-dick, robbo.

Choose what you want Corsa93, but even robbo has admitted 3 have better coverage and the fact it's PAYG AND the same price as their contract makes them the winner in my eyes.

Funny how everyone isn't with vodafone even though they've got so many awards under their belt.

vodafone have got the most amount of data customers though.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 09:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How great for you.
Robbo

3rd Jul 08 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Yeah, robbo said that

Actually Ill think youll find we have about 45% of the mobile broadband market compared to about 15% that 3 have! The diff in coverage is like 1 or 2%, hardly massive is it?! The differnece in customer service makes up for that alone IMO (and yes, Im a previosu 3 customer!)
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 09:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe because voda has been around a hell of a lot longer.

Like I said...Corsa93, it's up to you.

One satisfied 3 customer here, and 2 happy corporate sausage suckers above
Robbo

3rd Jul 08 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not at all, 3s Mobile broadband came out before ours... and as for customer servcie, well the people who own 3 used to own Orange so they should be good enough really!
bubble

3rd Jul 08 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

robbo did u know we're rolling out 14.4 by december? should be interesting.

as of tuesday 27th may, 3/t-mobile's %of population cover on their "turbo" network, was 90% with 2.8 meg the fastest possible. they expect it to be 98% by 2009.

According to 3, “most people on our Turbo Network can expect a speed ranging from 1Mb to 1.5Mb, allowing you to download a 3-4 minute music track in 30 seconds or less.”

As well as upgrading its network to cover 98 per cent of the UK with Turbo speeds, 3 is also working with T-Mobile - with whom it shares 3G coverage - to build speeds up to a theoretical maximum of 7.2Mb - the same as the current Vodafone network.

its all good tbh
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh ffs

1) I went into carphone warehouse and bought a 3 modem
2) Plugged it in. It's free to access the three website. Simply typed my topup code in.
3) I'm online.

No contract, no messing, 3.6mbps. I have no complaints.

I've not tried vodafone so can't comment on it really, altho I know in my area I never used to get reception with them.

Also, with regards to having more data customers. I'd bet it's likely that existing customers will have just taken up that service with them, but I really can't be assed arguing about figures that I haven't seen, nor am I interested in.

We all know you study the company newsletters, robbo, give it a rest.
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

as of tuesday 27th may, 3/t-mobile's %of population cover on their "turbo" network, was 90% with 2.8 meg the fastest possible. they expect it to be 98% by 2009.

According to 3, “most people on our Turbo Network can expect a speed ranging from 1Mb to 1.5Mb, allowing you to download a 3-4 minute music track in 30 seconds or less.”

As well as upgrading its network to cover 98 per cent of the UK with Turbo speeds, 3 is also working with T-Mobile - with whom it shares 3G coverage - to build speeds up to a theoretical maximum of 7.2Mb - the same as the current Vodafone network.

its all good tbh

Sad fuckin bastard
Hammer

3rd Jul 08 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett you have some big time issues mate
bubble

3rd Jul 08 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

its all good tbh

Sad fuckin bastard

im sad that i know about our competitors?

riiiiiiiiiiiiight
Brett
Premium Member

3rd Jul 08 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Not just that, no.
bubble

3rd Jul 08 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Not just that, no.

ok. glad you cleared that up for me.
Robbo

3rd Jul 08 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Oh ffs

1) I went into carphone warehouse and bought a 3 modem
2) Plugged it in. It's free to access the three website. Simply typed my topup code in.
3) I'm online.

No contract, no messing, 3.6mbps. I have no complaints.

I've not tried vodafone so can't comment on it really, altho I know in my area I never used to get reception with them.

Also, with regards to having more data customers. I'd bet it's likely that existing customers will have just taken up that service with them, but I really can't be assed arguing about figures that I haven't seen, nor am I interested in.

We all know you study the company newsletters, robbo, give it a rest.
Potentially yes you are right, although i knwo we are gettign a lto of just new customers on the Mobile broadband, who might otherwise have a mobile contratc with someone else
Joe

3rd Jul 08 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ace thread, go Brett.
Robbo

3rd Jul 08 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shut it Joe

[Edited on 03-07-2008 by Robbo]
Ren

4th Jul 08 at 00:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know about any of this mobile internet malarky, but I'm a proud 3 customer. Im in a 18 month contract (less then 6 to go) and I get 1100 anytime/any network units (1 text or 1 minute on the phone) 50 video minutes, and 300 Three2Three minutes all for the price of £32 a month.

At the time I took out my contract, no-one else offered anything like this, and even T-Mobile (who I've been with for six years) said there's nothing they can offer me to match that. So I left them. T-Mobile are shite. Orange are shite. Vodaphone are also shite.

</controversy>
Dom

4th Jul 08 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fact is, he's after Broadband in a fixed location! What's the point of getting a mobile connection that offers poor speeds and costs a fortune?

But trust the Vodafone bumbandit crew to ruin another thread.....bravo!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll