corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Do it yourself or buy it already done?

Poll: Do it yourself or buy it already done?
  Buy it ready done
  Do it yourself

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Do it yourself or buy it already done?
Graham88

User status: Offline
7th Mar 08 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is more beneficial all round (cost, hassle etc) of buying an XE already done, or buy buying a cheap donor car and doing it yourself?

Doggy XE's (generally have bits wrong with them) are around £1200 (haven't seen very many come up that cheap though).

Your average one with a bit of modifying to the exterior etc is nearer the 2k mark.

Or, a £200 non runner and spend roughly £1k on the conversion?

It'd be good fun/experience to do it yourself, I'd quite enjoy it if there wasn't pressure to get it done and I could do it in my own time. But I can't help but think it's just easier to buy it already done cause you don't really save alot, if any, by doing it yourself. Plus then you have to collect all the parts and everything too.

Opinions?
DannyB
Premium Member

8th Mar 08 at 00:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I suppose if your buying one you dont know how bad its been treated and weather its a bad job where as if you build one yourself you will know its done properly and wont have been abused...yet.You can get a decent xe for 1500-2000 but not sure on how much itl cost if u do it yourself.
Eck
Premium Member

8th Mar 08 at 02:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a clean shell and take it to a reputed person such as LM. You rarely know how bad the conversion is, or the mileage on the engine, or history unless the person has had it done professionaly. I'd rather spend £400 on a clean shell, then another £1,500 getting a good engine put in correctly.
Graham88

8th Mar 08 at 05:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I was thinking Eck. TBH I'd love to have a crack at it myself, maybe a bit of guidance but it'd be good practice.
Fad

8th Mar 08 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy one thats already done then take it to Lee to have a snagging list done then enjoy it.

lil_g

8th Mar 08 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy one that you know the history of or go for the already done and LM tweaking imo
Graham88

8th Mar 08 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Buy one thats already done then take it to Lee to have a snagging list done then enjoy it.

Now that is a plan

When people talk about bodges, what kind of things do they mean? How can you bodge it?
Fad

8th Mar 08 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well basicaly its easy to bodge if you are not sure what you are doing....

Seriously buying one done works out better as someone else has forked out for the parts and the engine which they will never get the ££ for and then for a few extra ££ you can get someone like lee to go over it and give it the all clear and rectify any issues
Graham88

8th Mar 08 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a plan batman
P1CK4D

10th Mar 08 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad

Exactly what I done
Fro

10th Mar 08 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And then i took the engine and got lee M to put it in mine as it was mint

Unless you can get the conversion and all the bits cheap enough like i was lucky to, id recommend buying one already done.
Ryk

10th Mar 08 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do it myself, that way I know what's happened etc, and there's only me to blame if its not together properly lol...
Graham88

10th Mar 08 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ryk
Do it myself, that way I know what's happened etc, and there's only me to blame if its not together properly lol...

That's what I'd like to have a go at, but not sure if I could do it by myself, what with having to change mounts etc. I certainly couldn't do the wiring part.

If I could get most of it in myself it'd save a lot of money as I'd only need little bits and piece done by Lee rather than the whole thing.

I don't know Pllus a conversion rarely goes smoothly, I might get fed up with the hassle of getting it started like I did with my 1.4

[Edited on 10-03-2008 by Graham88]
JM_16v

11th Mar 08 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lil_g
Buy one that you know the history of or go for the already done and LM tweaking imo

Daimo B

11th Mar 08 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go to Lee Graham. Don't think anyone bar Beardy will know an XE conversion better than that lad. As Fad said, one issue already sorted.

You can get advice from the bods on here on what parts to get before its all fitted.

Then all you need to worry about it the actual engine itself not giving issues.

Honestly, Lee is the man, worth every penny of the conversion, and you won't find a better backup Plus he loves doing it.
jr

11th Mar 08 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
quote:
Originally posted by Fad

Exactly what I done

no you bought one, then took it too lee and replaced everything
Graham88

11th Mar 08 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The reason I was saying about doing it myself is because it wouldn't have to be done in a rush so I could take my time over it seeing as it'd be quite alot different from doing like for like. I have an engine crane and basic knowledge in the mechanics of it all. Also have a garage which helps lots

Just thinking it'll be easier to find a decent Corsa without tons of rot, without an XE in. As searching for ones with XE's in seriously limits my search.

Wouldn't be happening for a few months as I just bought a new car but I like to try and plan ahead.
Daimo B

11th Mar 08 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give me a month or so and buy my shell. Always garaged, 45k, tis in very good condition shell wise.
Daimo B

11th Mar 08 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In fact, buy it with the engine to
Graham88

11th Mar 08 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just spent 5k, I can't get money together that quickly

Out of interest though, how much would you want?

[Edited on 11-03-2008 by Graham88]
Daimo B

11th Mar 08 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pass, really havent' got a clue. Need to get the electrics sorted first (queue Mr Mitchell coming over ) as i've got a new wiring loom to go in. Once its working, MOT, Taxed, insured, reg plate off, i'll be stripping it down again, so i'll let you know nearer the time if you want.

For a bare shell though, i guess about £250-£300.
Graham88

11th Mar 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah if you could, by the time you've done all that I might be looking for one

What's wrong with it at the moment, presumably a wiring fault?
Daimo B

11th Mar 08 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, thats it, then i bought a house so never had the funds.

But funnily enough, rang Lee today and he's coming over to have a look next week. It could be something extremly stupid, but we'll find out soon.

Engine and mechanical wise, shes fine. Sad to be stripping her tbh.
Graham88

11th Mar 08 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How far are you stripping her back?

Are you talking literally a shell, no bonnet, no doors, no bootlid, no interior, no dash, no engine? Or simply all the modified parts off and engine out
Daimo B

11th Mar 08 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I want to make as much as possible. Bonnet, front bumper have already gone, need the rest atm.

But once its legal, and i've got the plate off, i'll take off the skirts (well, depending if i can get them off, might have to stay on yet), rear bumper etc out.. Depends how interested you were and how much you wanted. Needs a new boot though as the one i sold/exhanged was in a rear end and wont shut atm. Doh..

We'll talk again once i've got the plate off if you want. If your seriously interested, we can sort something out.

You aint having the hoses though, Donnas having those for D5 (which is coming out again this year )

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » WR Archive » Do it yourself or buy it already done? 22 database queries in 0.0202050 seconds