corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa Carbon Fiber Wings (Pics).....

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Carbon Fiber Wings (Pics).....
mwg

User status: Offline
14th Feb 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie B
look nice but the weave looks f**ked at the end....

I thought it looked a bit odd at the end but I am not that up on carbon fibre parts to know if thats normal or not? Is the one in the pic the one with the film on the top of fibreglass?
Martin_C

14th Feb 08 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they might fit like a bag of shite.

did they say they'd do a one off gsi bumper and never do another? cos the cost and work involved in making the moulds for the autoclave would be huge for one bumper.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like film stuck on to me

[Edited on 14-02-2008 by Steve]
RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 15:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are you on about film on top of fibreglass?

it'll have a single layer of Biaxially woven Carbon as the first lay, then backed with chop strand mat fibreglass.

Thats not a bodge way of doing it tbh, full carbon is only for the real weight saving gains, but 90% of the time people buy it to look good and have the carbon look without the expense of a full carbon panel. These are in no way carbon look film, carbon stickers or painted with grey and black squares. They use genuine C.F; they should be lighter than standard steel panels, but won't be "as" light as full carbon.

[Edited on 14-02-2008 by LiVe LeE]
RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

However I would like to see them up close to see what they've done around the edges as the twill doesnt appear to flow to the panel edge, nor onto the mounting faces
Steve
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 15:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so its just a fibre glass wing with carbon fiber layer on top?

so in other words, its no better then a fibreglass wing other then it looks like carbon fibre?
RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah basically, although he says he also offers a full carbon wing, which I'd be interested to see.

I'm guessing those in the photos are the glass backed carbon ones, and thats why the edges have the smooth black appearence. With full carbon, the twill would have to be all over
Martin_C

14th Feb 08 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty much steve. fibreglass is just as light, just a shame you need 3 times as much to make it strong enough.
ed

14th Feb 08 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stevie B
look nice but the weave looks f**ked at the end....
That's because you're meant to paint it.
ed

14th Feb 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
so its just a fibre glass wing with carbon fiber layer on top?

so in other words, its no better then a fibreglass wing other then it looks like carbon fibre?
Well not really. It's a common technique to layer fibreglass with carbon to get certain properties in a composite. Or to make it look pretty.
ed

14th Feb 08 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Martin_C
pretty much steve. fibreglass is just as light, just a shame you need 3 times as much to make it strong enough.
Not true.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats to stop someone sticking carbon fibre film on it and laquering over it? im sure it would fool a lot of people
ed

14th Feb 08 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be steel on the back.
RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carbon film doesnt look nor is carbon fibre, its vinyl painted with black and grey squares
Martin_C

14th Feb 08 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Not true.

so a 3mm piece of carbon fibre is the same strength as a 3mm piece of fibreglass, ok
Kathryn W

14th Feb 08 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wings you say

I know someone that may be interested in these also...
ed

14th Feb 08 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Not true.

so a 3mm piece of carbon fibre is the same strength as a 3mm piece of fibreglass, ok
You do know that there are a lot of different types of fibreglass don't you. Not just chopped strand matting.
RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Not true.

The problem lies with the fact that people generalise Fibreglass. Fibreglass or more technically Glass Reinforced Plastic [or Polymer] is available in hundreds of forms, all of which have varying thicknesses, weaves and contructional methods and assosciated with this have varying strength, mass and thickness properties.

The three main types of GRP are Chop strand matt [CSM], Wovens and unidriectionals. Chops are distributed by weight, you normally get denominations of 150grams per square metre upto 1500gsm; chops are made up of varying lengths of chopped up glass strands, compressed or chemically bonded to form a mat.. Wovens are in bi-axially, tri-axially or quad-axially woven formations. Uni directionals are tapes where all of the glss run in the same direction.

Further to this you get surface tissues, duomats, combi mats, needle mats and far more al lof which have different purposes.

A duomat or woven mat can be as strong if not stronger than Carbon - however it will be heavier and thicker.

Carbon is approximately 5 times as strong as steel for the same thickness or in other words 5 times lighter than steel for the same strength.

Carbon tends to only come in one form, Biaxially Woven rovings

RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 16:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and P40 is not Fibreglass; it is candy floss mixed with pink cum or as we call it in the industry "Hairy Bog". It is heavy, has no real strength and we only use it in mould construction to fillet corners and radii. It has no place in actual builds.

RichR
Premium Member

14th Feb 08 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and thats why complicated shapes can end up looking cack if made with carbon. The biaxial weave doesn't allow it to go round curves very well, especialy curves in two planes. On a complicated carbon composite structure, you'll see dozens of creases in any curved areas. I'f you look at that wing in the pictures, you can see the weave wobble as the twills pull apart or tension as the go round the curve of the panel.

Also Carbon is shit in impact, it's incredibly weak in head on collisions hence why when an F1 car has a big smash the components literally disintegrate into small sharp shards. Its only strong in two directions, along the X and Y axis on which the fibres are orientated - it is not strong in the Z direction and as such if you hi it with a hammer in the centre of a panel, you would be likely to smash it like a mirror
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

14th Feb 08 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think live lee has OWNED this thread

Stu_22

14th Feb 08 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want them to do a roof skin. I'm tempeted to buy a big'ish sheet to see how well it will bend into the corners. I think its on the the front ones that would have to bend a bit on
Novaneil

14th Feb 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've so got to get me some of these!!! They look awesome.

I noticed the performance trim website isn't updated with them yet. Was about to order a load of bits off there... will wait for these wings as well now me thinks

www.performance-trim.com
Stu_22

14th Feb 08 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are available now, I just ordered a set of doorcards and he tried to sell me the wings as well but I could afford them
CorsAsh

14th Feb 08 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
think live lee has OWNED this thread

What do you expect of a Naval Architect?

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa Carbon Fiber Wings (Pics)..... 22 database queries in 0.1866112 seconds