Poll: Which would you go for? *106 GTi*
White GTi 62 (51.24%)
9 (7.44%)
Yellow GTi 32 (26.45%)
4 (3.31%)
None, I don't like 106's 14 (11.57%)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Which would you go for? *106 GTi*
Robbo

User status: Offline
11th Jan 08 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lellow
FruitBooTeR

11th Jan 08 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Narna IMO

Butler

11th Jan 08 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always wanted a white GTI, something so much cooler about a white Rallye though
Paul_J

11th Jan 08 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used pgac (peugeot-gti.net) but it's full of cunts

now I use CS, Saxosportsclub, Rallye Register and French Sports Club.

SSC + Rallye Register have good engine sections that know the facts.

Saxp, 106 Owners, (and PGAC to an extent) are all more interested in bling bling than engine's really. I watched a vid of a 'saxp' trip to the nurburgring and it was shocking most of the members never even went out on track and the one's who did filmed themselves doing 15 minute laps

In all seriousness tho...

106 gti tuning...

starting bhp unknown, rarely make 120 bhp standard

Pugsport decat exhaust

Some sort of Filter, Ecosse / CDA whatever.

135-140 bhp from the above...

Then cams, simplest (no engine work needed) = either

cat cam 708's or kent pt51's.

Remap of standard ECU / KMS standalone

Rough bhp after ranging from 155-160 bhp.

If you want to take it further than this (then don't do the last step, and just do the following instead)

Throttle bodies (KMS direct to head)
Wilder cams as suited...
May need piston cut outs to suit depending on how lairy you go

Estimated bhp anywhere from 165-190 bhp depending on TB's / cams and mapping.

It's extremely rare for any vts / gti to get over 160 bhp with just cams, remap and breathing mods... 169 i can't believe.

cat cam 708's on TB's don't give much more than without TB's as the cams just arn't that lairy.

so expect even with TB's to only get 160-170 bhp with catcam 708's

(hence, someone can have 155-160 bhp with cat cam 708's and normal TB, then upgrade to throttle bodies and spend a load and not get much of a gain)

Kent PT 52's have been shown to give about 174 ish on tb's

Then u got like cat cam 715's, 803's - 809's etc.

Think the wildest, with forged pistons and TB's should be seeing 180-190 ish bhp.

What you have to bare in mind tho, is doing it step by step is costly, than planning from the start what spec you are aiming for.

For example, my mate has just decided he's gonna go for a better spec overall, was running 708's on TB's, but now he's having to ditch his whole exhaust manifold and exhaust system to upgrade to something bigger to cope.

What you have to realise is there's so many different variables, so someone can expect 180 bhp and only get 170 because their manifold is a raceland that's limiting their power.
Scotty C

11th Jan 08 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
172 is no quicker than a standard 106, or at least barely, 1/4 mile day my 106 with just an exhaust and filter was beating my mates 172's times, theres also a vid floating round on the net of a 106 and a 172 on a track the 172 just wasnt pulling away on the straights.

i'd never get insured on a 172, it's £920 TPFT on a GTi.
Fad

11th Jan 08 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
172 is no quicker than a standard 106, or at least barely, 1/4 mile day my 106 with just an exhaust and filter was beating my mates 172's times, theres also a vid floating round on the net of a 106 and a 172 on a track the 172 just wasnt pulling away on the straights.

Steve spend the same money on both and you'll see which is better. That track scenario is a clear case of dricver ability surely you should know that?

Paul J has spent £££ thousands upon thousands on his 106 GTi and knows his stuff, now i dont actually think its quicker than my standard 182 so bit of a waste IMO

Monster thats fair enough its your ££ at the end of the day and each to their own

Paul_J

11th Jan 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Monster
No offence, I don't really like 172's. I'd MUCH prefere a GTi, for the looks, and for insurance purposes. I'll be happy with a full exhaust and enclosed filter for a while. Then i'd save for something worth while tunging, a CTR for example

[Edited on 11-01-2008 by Monster]

hehe that's what everyone says

They get the exhaust + filter, pugsport and breathing mods...

then want a little bit more.

708 cams and remap...

Then want a little bit more...

but this is the problem, to TB it now would need you to get lairier cams, tb's and another remap to really get your monies worth, hence it's worth realising u will want to do this before you do the last step

Also Tuning a CTR? is there that much for it other than turbo / supercharge? my car's quicker than a CTR thanks to power / weight
Bri-SRi

11th Jan 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White all the way.
Scotty C

11th Jan 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
used pgac (peugeot-gti.net) but it's full of cunts

now I use CS, Saxosportsclub, Rallye Register and French Sports Club.

SSC + Rallye Register have good engine sections that know the facts.

Saxp, 106 Owners, (and PGAC to an extent) are all more interested in bling bling than engine's really. I watched a vid of a 'saxp' trip to the nurburgring and it was shocking most of the members never even went out on track and the one's who did filmed themselves doing 15 minute laps

In all seriousness tho...

106 gti tuning...

starting bhp unknown, rarely make 120 bhp standard

Pugsport decat exhaust

Some sort of Filter, Ecosse / CDA whatever.

135-140 bhp from the above...

Then cams, simplest (no engine work needed) = either

cat cam 708's or kent pt51's.

Remap of standard ECU / KMS standalone

Rough bhp after ranging from 155-160 bhp.

If you want to take it further than this (then don't do the last step, and just do the following instead)

Throttle bodies (KMS direct to head)
Wilder cams as suited...
May need piston cut outs to suit depending on how lairy you go

Estimated bhp anywhere from 165-190 bhp depending on TB's / cams and mapping.

It's extremely rare for any vts / gti to get over 160 bhp with just cams, remap and breathing mods... 169 i can't believe.

cat cam 708's on TB's don't give much more than without TB's as the cams just arn't that lairy.

so expect even with TB's to only get 160-170 bhp with catcam 708's

(hence, someone can have 155-160 bhp with cat cam 708's and normal TB, then upgrade to throttle bodies and spend a load and not get much of a gain)

Kent PT 52's have been shown to give about 174 ish on tb's

Then u got like cat cam 715's, 803's - 809's etc.

Think the wildest, with forged pistons and TB's should be seeing 180-190 ish bhp.

What you have to bare in mind tho, is doing it step by step is costly, than planning from the start what spec you are aiming for.

For example, my mate has just decided he's gonna go for a better spec overall, was running 708's on TB's, but now he's having to ditch his whole exhaust manifold and exhaust system to upgrade to something bigger to cope.

What you have to realise is there's so many different variables, so someone can expect 180 bhp and only get 170 because their manifold is a raceland that's limiting their power.

I've just bought a raceland

Thanks for the info mate. I'd be more than happy with 160bhp TBH.

What are wildest cams you can get without pocketed pistons?
Paul_J

11th Jan 08 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad

Steve spend the same money on both and you'll see which is better. That track scenario is a clear case of dricver ability surely you should know that?

Paul J has spent £££ thousands upon thousands on his 106 GTi and knows his stuff, now i dont actually think its quicker than my standard 182 so bit of a waste IMO

Monster thats fair enough its your ££ at the end of the day and each to their own

Your 182 seemed quicker than i think most are, as you said, you got 190 odd on the rollers didn't you?

I know what steve's saying, i've seen / raced 172's and they arent amazingly quick - I swear fad something funny going on with yours, tho it didn't seem to be pulling away when we had our little blat through the industrial estate.

That said, I'd agree with you fad, if i was in monster's position i'd probably go for a 172 cup.

Either that or buy a 106 gti with the cam's etc allready done pushing about 155-160 bhp for about 3,000. Everyone always wants a standard car to start with (including myself when i bought mine) but if i could turn back the clocks with the amount the 'good' mods cost, i would've saved myself some money buying one already done. Although I do remember thinking 'I'll just get exhaust + filter and leave it there '.
Paul_J

11th Jan 08 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I've got a raceland, killed the peakyness feeling on my car. I still think if i replaced it with 4-1 (or probably put standard back on) it'd feel quicker.

wildest without is 708's / kent pt51's (someone once told me they got pt52's on it and ran some weird timing but i don't believe that).
Fad

11th Jan 08 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I know what steve's saying, i've seen / raced 172's and they arent amazingly quick - I swear fad something funny going on with yours, tho it didn't seem to be pulling away when we had our little blat through the industrial estate.

That said, I'd agree with you fad, if i was in monster's position i'd probably go for a 172 cup.

What with Will driving my car for the first time not even in V tec
Paul_J

11th Jan 08 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:

Race ... Pod ... 20th

Nah nah nah I shouldn't my car will break

but i still stand by the fact your 182 is quicker than most, as most people say 172 cup's are quicker than 182's and i've seen 172 cups and they're not that amazingly quick, roughly 14.8-15.5 1/4 mile. I think your car will do a 14.5

but yeh especially with the low cost of clio's right now, get a clio 172 cup for £4ish k
Scotty C

11th Jan 08 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I've got a raceland, killed the peakyness feeling on my car. I still think if i replaced it with 4-1 (or probably put standard back on) it'd feel quicker.

wildest without is 708's / kent pt51's (someone once told me they got pt52's on it and ran some weird timing but i don't believe that).

But you've got 160bhp with a raceland, so that manifold will do me

But you're saying if you put a 4-1 on, you'd see a bhp increase?
Butler

11th Jan 08 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

4-1 wont see an increase in bhp, there is more torque at higher revs but the overall torque curve is less smooth and there is less bottom end. The raceland is better for all round. Im not speaking from experience but its dyno proven. Awaits Lucky Bs reply....
Paul_J

11th Jan 08 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh but butler depends what cams u go for...

my kent pt 51's give good mid range, so the raceland 4-2-1 kinda robbed the top end peakyness and added even more mid range.

where as if i had gone for 4-1, it'd of pushed some of that torque peaking in the middle, toward the end and flattern the torque curve out. so would've pulled harder higher up the revs.

All swings and roundabouts, but just generally means my car is tuned more for track driving than 1/4 mile.
broster
Premium Member

11th Jan 08 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a 172 cup (standard engine bar panal filter), work mate has a 106 gti with exhaust and filter, we have a play nearly every night, and every night i pull away from him or sit behind..... his car is 140bhp on the rolling road, mine is 168bhp on the same dyno......
NanaFied

11th Jan 08 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White is a lush colour in them, hard to find in s2's

Nana ftw!

My one

Looks good polished
Scotty C

11th Jan 08 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the one for sale isn't it?
NanaFied

11th Jan 08 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed it is
Scotty C

11th Jan 08 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok u2u me the link to the for sale thread
Fad

12th Jan 08 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:

Race ... Pod ... 20th

Bring it on home boy
Nismo

12th Jan 08 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

White everyday!

But good luck in finding a decent one!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Which would you go for? *106 GTi* 22 database queries in 0.1087878 seconds