corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread

New Poll
  <<  26    27    28    29    30    31    32  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread
M16KE B

User status: Offline
6th Sep 12 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"Best Audi" Runner Up??? What won?

Looking amazing!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hamish had the Audi out at local 1/4 mile day yesterday, few teething problems were encountered.

Few vids...

Hamish 1

Hamish 2

Hamish 3

Ran a 12.59 @ 131mph tried to lock all diffs up on that final video got a decent start but then blew a boost hose off!

Cars now getting stripped for new running gear, hopefully next time out he can get a better launch with less wheel spin.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12.5 seconds... i would of expected at least 11's
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
12.5 seconds... i would of expected at least 11's

No grip, diffs open, poor starts. It will 100% be in 11's.

Last vid he got better start with diffs locked, but shut car off when boost pipe blew off!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Sep 12 at 12:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah, thats good.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

17th Oct 12 at 05:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.performancevwmag.com/thismonth.asp

Robin
Premium Member

20th Oct 12 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just reading it now, he's younger than I thought he would be!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

20th Oct 12 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's just turned 26!

Tom

21st Oct 12 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't realise he was 26 wow!! Cars getting better and better, glad to see him getting the recognition he deserves.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

2nd Dec 12 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New wheels landed, a BBS E50 tower

Hamish has been doing a little work on the car lately to get it sorted with the new running gear.

First job was to make some mounts for the S4 gearbox. He mounted the right hand mount higher up so it doesn't get in the way of the downpipe.

The new driveshafts turned up this week. Custom steel shafts with large splines for the bigger cv joints. The outer cv joints are Audi 200 fronts which are the largest available made to homologate them for motorsport use. The inners are works items. They should stop any twisting issues from the past!

Finally the wheels. They came up a while ago and he couldn't turn them down. They are BBS E50's 9x16" with deep centres. They are drilled to take turbofans should he want to use them. There are 8 of them with a spare inner and outer dish. They all came with slicks which are old but have a good bit of life in them. Will be fun burning them up!

All the wheels have seen a little action over the years! haven't decided what to do with them all yet. He thinks he will get 4 wider outers to take a set out to 10" or a little wider to use with some new slicks. The other set, might leave as they are and stick some wets on them.

He has started making the new gear linkage this weekend once its done the box can be cleaned up and go in for good.

Robin
Premium Member

3rd Dec 12 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does he have a set of fans to go on them?
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

4th Dec 12 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
Does he have a set of fans to go on them?

Nope but can be fitted if he finds a set.

Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

30th Dec 12 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the gear linkage sorted which took ages. Not got any pics of it finished as the box is back in at the moment. Will get some when he drops it back out.

Next he moved onto making some mounts for the front anti roll bar as it came without them. You can buy them new but being WRC bits they are very expensive. Hamish machined up some plastic bushes and then did the alloy brackets in the laithe with the 4 jaw.

Finally he has been sorting the hubs. He had the rear hubs bored out on a cnc mill. They are bored to the same size as the front hubs so they can take front wheel bearings. This means he can run the large front outer cv joints in the rear.

Next he moved onto cleaning them up and lightening them. Cut the ABS mounts off and the lugs for the dust shields. This lost 300 grams from each upright. He then drilled a few holes into the flanges and lost 200 grams from each. So managed to loose half a kilo per corner which he was pretty happy with considering its unsprung weight.

How they started off with the ABS mounts and tabs for dust shields.

Lightened:

Lick of paint and pushed the new bearings in:

So thats where its up to at the moment. Next jobs are to get the mounts sorted for the bladed anti roll bars and get the drivetrain built back up.

SVM 286

31st Dec 12 at 03:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This thing still never fails to amaze me (like the nuts Granada build). Car looks and sounds incredible.

Loving his latest bits of fettling too. The boy is a flipping magician.

I so hope he manages to secure some fans for those BBS rims
Lee_fr200

31st Dec 12 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only just seen this thread today, spent the last few hours reading every page,

Looks absolutely awesome
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 09:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hamish has managed to get a little work done over Christmas not as much as he had hoped but its always the same!

Got the hubs pushed together and swapped over the studs from the old hubs:

Next job was mounting up the front bladed anti roll bar. He did a bit of testing to make sure it was all going to work and not touch the wheel on full lock and compression. Ended up welding 2 plates onto the subframe corners. It means he can still get to the subframe mounts and wishbone bolts no problem. Nice and strong as well!

Fitted up with rose jointed links:

Next he cleaned up the wishbones and opened up the ball joint holes a little so they can be moved forwards and angled to get a bit more caster. Also machined up some bosses and welded them on underneath to bolt the anti roll bar to. Finally seam welded them to stiffen them up:

Finally he has been sorting the rear bladed anti roll bar. He tried all sorts of ways with it. Under the rear tie rods like the standard S2 set up didn't work as the links would be very long and couldn't see a nice way of bringing the mounts off the subframe due to the bar being so wide. Hamish finally decided to put it above the rear tie rods after some testing to make sure the links didn't hit on full compression. The bar fitted nicely on one side ontop of the chassis rail so he cut a plate and welded some bosses to the back of it. Then drilled some holes in the chassis rail so the bosses could sit in and welded the plate on. The alloy clamp had to be cut at an angle to get it to sit far enough back to clear the subframe mount:

The other side a bulge in the rear corner was in the way. So there was no option but to cut it out! So out came the grinder, made a big hole! Then he folded up a plate so the mount could be bolted to it:

The bar sits nicely in behind the subframe. He had to take a little off the mount for the rear diff to get it in.

The blades heading nicely for the mounts on the struts:

He is going to get the plates fully welded in and then he can have a measure up for the links. After that all the fabrication is done and the drivetrain and suspension can be built up after a good clean up.

Getting there nicely for the new season! Bring on UD13.

3CorsaMeal

31st Jan 13 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that a common thing to do, the wheel hub lightening? Never seen it before and would of thought the holes must weaken it a bit, like redrilled alloys. But i might just be being a bit internet here.
flybikeslee

31st Jan 13 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Is that a common thing to do, the wheel hub lightening? Never seen it before and would of thought the holes must weaken it a bit, like redrilled alloys. But i might just be being a bit internet here.

would there be no effect on wheel wobble also if they're not balanced? just a though
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 21:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's been pushing on with the work lately, looking good to get it back together for March.

Gearbox cleaned up and painted. Had to do a bit of cutting to the bellhousing to get the downpipe in:

Finished off the gearlinkage and got it in with the slave cylinder:

Rear anti roll bar cleaned up and painted.

Floor welded back up and some paint splashed about. Bar Fitted up with rose jointed links.

Then I had a delivery from Pro alloy. A new radiator to replace the current one. Far better made and a lot thicker. I also had the header tank extended by 2.5" to increase its capacity as I had issues with it having so much thermal expansion it would over flow.

Has also bought a new alternator to run under the car and drive off the propshaft. He had issues last year with it flipping belts and chewing them up when it hits the limiter so hard. He also wanted to get some more weight off the front end like the works cars. To do this he had to make a new diff arm on one side which meant flipping the mount over. This gets it up high enough for the alternator to hang under. Not finished yet as waiting on some pulleys turning up so it can be lined up:

Finally this weekend he has been fitting power steering. He bought a new electric pump from a saxo and decided it would go behind the drivers seat to keep the weight low down and as far back as possible. Also running a cooler for it on the return line so there are no issues with it boiling the fluid. Struggled to find a good place for it to go so it ended up going under the fuel cooler.

Mount welded up from some steel tube to hold it. Pump will be secured with a couple of jubilee clamps:

Has used forged 90 degree fittings and banjo ends for the rack using high pressure PTFE lines so it should be nice and strong for the high pressure! Lines run down the tunnel with all the others and through the steering boot into the rack behind.

He also got another cooler and fittings to pipe up the gearbox he needs to decide on a location for this:

So thats where its up to. He has to finish off the alternator set up and plumb in the gearbox cooler. Then a big assemble of the drivetrain including new shafts which he has worked out lengths and spacers for. It will then be able to go back on its wheels! Finally do some work in the boot to tidy up the plates which were welded in and fit the new cooling parts. All looking good for ultimate dubs then a test day a couple of weekends after.

Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

3rd Feb 13 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is still one of my favorite builds. Absolutely awesome work and ridiculous money put in to it!

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get a little work done on the car this weekend. Looked at various pulleys to drive the alternator off the prop and found an alloy saxo under drive one that looked to be about right. He had thought about boring it and pushing it on over the nose of the diff but it wasn't quite large enough for that. So decided to machine it and put it on the front of the diff which would also act as a spacer for the prop seeing as the new gearbox is a little shorter than the old one.

So he machined up 2 discs of alloy and pushed them into the pulley so it was back to a flush face either side. Then machined the one side with a 4mm nose to sit into the input flange of the diff.

The other side got machined to take the 100mm cv joint of the propshaft.

Then he machined the centre to take the plunge of the cv joint and drilled the holes.

So with that done he dropped the subframe off the car and set about mounting up the alternator. He welded a couple of bits to the diff mount which stiffen it up and also hang the alternator off. Welded them on wide so the alternator needs shimming so it can be lined up perfectly. Did a bit of trimming to the subframe to get more swing on the alternator. Just need a belt and a rose jointed link to tension it now and its done.

Should be back down on its wheels pretty soon, then a big clean up for Ultimate Dubs!

Robin
Premium Member

11th Feb 13 at 21:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, I know this works in principle as Audi used it on the old IMSA cars but one thing stands out to me and that is that an alternator is designed to work within a certain rpm range, lets say that is with the engine spinning between 1000rpm and 7000rpm, if you're driving it from a propshaft, it'll only be doing the equivalent of that 7000rpm at high speed. So, will it actually work?
Steve X16XE

11th Feb 13 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing it will as it's not got that much to power. I mean, the car doesn't have A/C, Satnav, heated seats and so on.

I'm guessing the biggest drain will be it's lights or turning the wipers on.

Oh, and Awesome car!!!
gazza808

11th Feb 13 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve X16XE
I'm guessing it will as it's not got that much to power. I mean, the car doesn't have A/C, Satnav, heated seats and so on.

I'm guessing the biggest drain will be it's lights or turning the wipers on.

Oh, and Awesome car!!!

This is a truly epic build.

Ignition system and fuelling system will be a massive drain on this...
How fast will the alternator be going on idle? 0 rpm.
But then again it isn't going to be sitting in traffic lol!!
Steve X16XE

11th Feb 13 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, that was my thought. It'll not clock 1000 miles in a year, but it'll cover them quick when it does go!

<<  26    27    28    29    30    31    32  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » My Mates SWB Quattro - Build Thread 24 database queries in 0.2387469 seconds