corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Monster's crash, found this..... (pic of road page2)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Monster's crash, found this..... (pic of road page2)
Steve X16XE

User status: Offline
26th Dec 07 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The drivers side of the steering race had snapped. I thought thats going to be normal if he twatted the curb at 40+ mph. BUT the wheel isn't damaged.

What does everyone make of this?

My thinking is that it snapped 1st causing the crash. Hense the wheel not damaged.

[Edited on 26-12-2007 by Steve X16XE]
Colin

26th Dec 07 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the crash was caused by a HGV going into him...or was that something else

Could have happened prior...it is possible, would that change anything though?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

26th Dec 07 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He spun out, then the lorry hit him Colin.
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Driving down a straight road, just after overtaking some one he spins off and the rear drivers side wheel hits the curb spins him 180 and now he's on the other side of the road facing the path. Split second later the lorry hits his rear pass side spinning him 180 again and now onto the path.
Scotty C

26th Dec 07 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I thought the crash was caused by a HGV going into him...or was that something else

Could have happened prior...it is possible, would that change anything though?

Steve thinks my steering rack randomly broke whilst I was driving, hence me getting twated by a 40 tonner..
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Dec 07 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was the other wheel damaged?

Not sure of the force involved but there could be load exhibited on that part through damage to the other side although I would imagine the tyre would break traction before the part failed.

Also - has it been struck by intrusion in to the arch/bay?
Colin

26th Dec 07 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm would point towards some kind of failure if you just spun out on a straight road. Im quessing you never heard anything before the impact as id guess there would be a bit of a bang if the rack just randomly snapped
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Dec 07 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't forget, the wheel and tyre has mass and would have been moving about a lot. That will stress the part.
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Was the other wheel damaged?

Not sure of the force involved but there could be load exhibited on that part through damage to the other side although I would imagine the tyre would break traction before the part failed.

Also - has it been struck by intrusion in to the arch/bay?

Other wheel? Front one?

Nothing (that i can see) could have entered the arch, just hit that and make it's way out without hitting anything else.
Scotty C

26th Dec 07 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't remember upto half a hour before the crash...
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Im quessing you never heard anything before the impact as id guess there would be a bit of a bang if the rack just randomly snapped

I was in front in my car and Monster (scott) can't remember anything 30mins before the crash.
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Don't forget, the wheel and tyre has mass and would have been moving about a lot. That will stress the part.

but even if the wheel was bouncing arround, i'd have thought that it'd take a wack to damage the rack.
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Dec 07 at 23:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would think so, yes.
ed

26th Dec 07 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wouldn't take much force to make the track rod fail at that position in comparison to to the ammount of force required to impact the tyre through all itis pressure and cause damage to the wheel. Also, the wheel and tyre could still be damaged, but the damage could be microscopic failures within the materials due to intense pressures and forces.
ainsley_brader

26th Dec 07 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did he spin out or veer off to one side?

HAd it had any recent suspension work done tracking etc?
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Dec 07 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
the damage could be microscopic failures within the materials due
You would expect to see damage if it had been struck though.
ed

26th Dec 07 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For it to fail at that point on it's own you would expect it to be due to fatigue rather than being due work carried out at a guess.

[Edited on 26-12-2007 by ed]
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
the damage could be microscopic failures within the materials due

You'll get microscopic damages hitting pothols round here. Are they going to be enough to cause that?
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Dec 07 at 23:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, suppose you could strike the tyre and snap a rod which was already weakened due to fatigue.

You would need the skid marks to see whether the rod failed before or after.

[Edited on 26-12-2007 by Ian]
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

26th Dec 07 at 23:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From an engineering point of view, I agree with Ed - it looks more like a fatigue failure than impact damage.

That could suggest it was the rack snapping that caused the accident - however, that still poses the question of how it actually broke, as I can't imagine the fatigue getting so bad for it to break like that.

It would seem to me that the fatigue was the main cause for the breakage, but it still needed somekind of impact (which could be as simple as hitting a large pothole, but not large enough to damage the wheel) to finally fracture the rack.
ed

26th Dec 07 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the track rod end at that point I would suspect that fatigue would be your main problem. You have a threaded point which is a stress raiser and an intersection between two components. Plus if you have larger heavier wheels on the car then you are putting more pressure than intended through the compoents. Even upgrading the brakes could increase fatigue at that point...
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So the cause is down to a multiple things.

8 year old rack, stiffer lower suspention, the angle at witch it's at. Higher than it was drsigned for.
ed

26th Dec 07 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or just simple bad luck. It's impossible to tell really without doing a whole host of tests. All that matters is Monster is ok
Steve X16XE

26th Dec 07 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
All that matters is Monster is ok

Amen to that
Mike GSi

26th Dec 07 at 23:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know someone that hit a curb on the NSF wheel, he was on full lock right, he obviously bent the NSF wheel under the car but the steering rack snapped on the opposite side (OSF Track rod end) doesnt make any sense but i guess the rack snaped at its weekest point, the OSF/R didnt hit or come into contact with anything......this may be what happened

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Monster's crash, found this..... (pic of road page2) 22 database queries in 0.1853509 seconds