corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Joined the gym - Week 12

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Joined the gym - Week 12
Craig W

User status: Offline
14th Oct 07 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Marc, what do you do for back?
Marc

14th Oct 07 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only free weights I'm currently using are for the biceps.

When I went years ago we did pretty much everything with free weights, biceps, chest, triceps, shoulders etc.

Thing is, I'm not aiming to be a meat head. Want to build up a bit but mainly to tone really too.
dna23

14th Oct 07 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who's the 'we' mattk?
Marc

14th Oct 07 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Craig W
Marc, what do you do for back?

At the moment, primarily lateral pull down. With other machines also working the back.
dna23

14th Oct 07 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even though you only want to tone Marc, using freeweights will be fine. You won't turn into a meathead so long as you use a weight which you can lift for 10-15 reps as oppose to 6-8 for bulking.
Craig W

14th Oct 07 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

matt, why on earth do you do press ups when your doing flat/incline/decline/dips/flys?

3 exercises for chest is plenty.

How many sets do you do for each movement?
Marc

14th Oct 07 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dna23
Even though you only want to tone Marc, using freeweights will be fine. You won't turn into a meathead so long as you use a weight which you can lift for 10-15 reps as oppose to 6-8 for bulking.

I know, I just thought I'd mention my intentions, and merely stating that the machine have given me the gains I've wanted in the past.
Craig W

14th Oct 07 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It amuses me when people say they use machines because they want to tone up etc. Muscles are muscles, they don't know what you want. If you want to tone up then thats diet/nutrition dependant. Muscles do not have brains.
Marc

14th Oct 07 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do want to build muscle, but want to tone as well. I havn't set a target of how big I want to get etc. But at the moment I'm getting on fine with the machines. I may move on to free weights in time.

I also want to lose the weight that I put on from medication I was taking, which has not been helped by beer and takeaways after a night out!

I'm more active now than I've been in a while as I play football now. Which will have a big part in how I build myself up.

After all, I've only been back doing it a week!
Craig W

14th Oct 07 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Again, bulking is diet/nutrition dependant. Do you honestly believe your body bulks with 8 reps and tones with 10 reps?
dna23

14th Oct 07 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Again, bulking is diet/nutrition dependant. Do you honestly believe your body bulks with 8 reps and tones with 10 reps?

I was only explaining about weights not diet nutrition. I know what you're saying is correct, diet and nutrition plays the biggest part but when lifting weights you'll see better gains lifting a heavier weight for only 6-8 reps as oppose to a lighter one for 15.

The 10-15 was probably a bit of a larger window, I can see your point about 8 reps bulk then 2 more and you tone. I was just meaning, I chest press single arm 38kg for 6 reps, now if I did 15 reps I'd have to drop the weight to probably 30 (I'm only speculating) - now with my diet being tailored towards size and growth I'd do better with the 38kg.
mattk

14th Oct 07 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when I say we I mean me and my mate, just what im used to saying

Very rarely do the press ups, dips is usually enough

I go for 3 sets of 10 but up the weight on the last set so i reach faliure after about 6 - 8
Craig W

14th Oct 07 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know what you're saying dna23, but i dont really agree with those theories. I know monsters who train in the 4-6 rep range and i know people equally as big wou train in the 12-15 rep range. No two bodies are the same.
AdZ9

14th Oct 07 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Thing is, I'm not aiming to be a meat head. Want to build up a bit but mainly to tone really too.

Why are you still classed as a meat head in this day and age if you have a good build/physique?

End of the day if you want to "build up" a bit your going to need to do the right exercises still!
Machines are pretty useless to be honest, most of them restrict a natural range of motion so you end up with injuries, or not progressing because it just isnt that good. I suggest you read some forums/websites and get a bit clued up more and it will help you alot in the long run mate. Try bodybuilding.com and read articles on training etc. You'll see that the best thing for results is to use compound exercises, you only really need to do isolation exercises when you've been training for long periods and know what your doing.

My current 3 day split i do is below, you should think about trying it and giving it a go, if you follow the exercises properly and push yourself you'll feel more fucked than any type of "pec machine" etc.

Monday - Back + Biceps:
Deadlift 3x8
Bent over barbell rows 3x8
Wide Grip Pull ups 3x8
EZ Bar/Barbell Bicep Curls 3x8

After you've done deadlifts, rows and wide grip pull ups your biceps would of been worked to shit anyway along with forearms. So you dont need to do 25 exercises on biceps, a nice 3x8 atthe end to finish them off is fine, remember biceps are a small muscle, and triceps make up 2/3 of your arm anyway.

Wed - Chest + Tris + Shoulders:
Flat Bench Press 3x8
Incline DB Press 3x8
Dips 3x8
Standing Military Press 3x8
Skullcrushers 3x8

Again, once you've done bench pressing, db and dips y our shoulders/tris would of been worked loads anyway, so one exercise on them is sufficient, Military press for shoulders, or could do dumbell shoulder press, and skullcrushers to finish off your tri's is fine.

Fri - Legs + Abs
Squats 3x8
SLDL (Stiff Legged Deadlift) 3x8
Calf Raises 3x20
Ab work (can be whatever you want really, i never stick to doing the same ab exercises i shuffle it every few weeks)

Do this workout on a friday right and push yourself and it'll be tough to walk for the next few days.

All compound exercises work more than just one muscle, so you are effectively working alot more than you think you are.
Craig W

14th Oct 07 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

matt, you said you're after improving your chest the most. If you're not gaining very well maybe try dropping a few exercises. As i said no two bodies are the same, but imo what you listed is far too much.
mattk

14th Oct 07 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

skullcrushers

I like these, also THE best name for an execise ever!
dna23

14th Oct 07 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see your point also Craig, everyones body is different and reacts differently to the intensity and style of various workouts.

I suppose the best advice is nutrition, free weights and compound exercises, the reps and sets is all dependant on your body - play about with it and see what feels right for you and also gives the best gains based on what you're looking to achieve.
Craig W

matt, good example above. You train more for your chest than adz does for 3 different groups!

Nice routine AdZ9.
AdZ9

quote:
I know what you're saying dna23, but i dont really agree with those theories. I know monsters who train in the 4-6 rep range and i know people equally as big wou train in the 12-15 rep range. No two bodies are the same.

Genetics and nutrition! Some people have a natural body type and build for bodybuilding, if you havent got a good bone structure and wide shoulders you'll never look really wide etc.

Also like you mentioned craig and i think most people dont realise, all about nutrition. Ask alot of people and they'll put nutrition above training when talking about whats more important!
Craig W

14th Oct 07 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I see your point also Craig, everyones body is different and reacts differently to the intensity and style of various workouts.

I suppose the best advice is nutrition, free weights and compound exercises, the reps and sets is all dependant on your body - play about with it and see what feels right for you and also gives the best gains based on what you're looking to achieve.

Craig W

14th Oct 07 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exacly AdZ9, the gym is the easy part. It's the other 23 hours in the day which will determine your growth and gains.
Marc

14th Oct 07 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I probably will move on to free weights eventually, as I've already said, its all about getting back in to it again.

I know the free weights are harder, as you have to control the balance yourself too, something the machine does for you. I used to do everything with free weights at my old gym. I used to do 110kg chest with free weights, something I wouldn't be able to do just now.

By meat head I meant I don't want to go wild builiding myself up, which I think you knew I meant anyway.
mattk

14th Oct 07 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good thread this

Ive only been at it solidly for 4 months and i am by no means an expert I have seen gains and it has become "visible" that I go to the gym if you know what i mean

I have loads to learn yet
Marc

14th Oct 07 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was lifting 90kg last year on the bench press from going down once a week. So ultimatley I might aim for that again.

I'm playing football twice a week so my gym routine is worked out around that. I run quite fast during football so I don't want to bulk up too much as not to lose my speed etc.

I think idealy I'll try and lose some of the stomach weight and then go from there on how I want to build up and by how much.

I think at the moment getting in to shape and improving my stamina is the most important thing.
mattk

14th Oct 07 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bet you wish youd never opened this thread now

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Joined the gym - Week 12 23 database queries in 0.1914079 seconds