corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The VX220 Project! - Garage Update- Pics and Vids

New Poll
  <<  24    25    26    27  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The VX220 Project! - Garage Update- Pics and Vids
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Sep 17 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont need the dash off anymore so i thought i would clean it and stick that back in.

next job is to clean out this shitfest.. :\

im going to find a way of nicely putting the return pipe up and out of the way.

arches back in and the front just needs the bells & discs putting on which are in the final stages of being made.

and i gave one side a quick wipe down, then i decided i couldnt be bothered so finished for the day

[Edited on 24-09-2017 by chris_uk]

[Edited on 24-09-2017 by chris_uk]
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Sep 17 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this weekend i set about making a custom water tank with a mate.

we had to design a tank which :

Held water
Holds 5L of water or more
Sit in the sill
Gravity feed the pump
had surge protection built in

with all these things in mind i sat to in my garage and created a couple of designs of tank, lots of drawing and measuring and chatting with steve and we came up with a concept which ticked all of the boxes..

Some of the early designs.

I went to steves armed with the mockup and a final idea and we set to on Friday morning.

cut more pieces, and tacked into place.

had a quick trial fit

final design

[img]https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22050023_10155715525062731_68957963976718952_n.jpg?oh=5cfb3f0070a80cb46c16e3bfbe1fa759&oe=5A814ED4[/im]

made a baffle for the float sensor, wasn't needed but it will stop the G forces effecting the indication.. just makes it a little more accurate.

baffle and mount plugs welded in place.

hopefully this is the quality of the whole tank once its finished.. going to brush the finish and try make it look nice.

unfortunately the gas ran out on us and we had to call it a weekend.

chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Oct 17 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a little bit of time in the garage today waiting for someone to turn up to look at the signum so i thought i would have a clean up..

chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Oct 17 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

new brakes are here!

i did the drawing myself and had them machined up so quite proud

saved 11.06 kg over my worn discs, compared to new i save over 14kg!
bigron1988

9th Oct 17 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who made the disks , I have a set of normal disks I want to get made into 2 piece to save weight
chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Oct 17 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alcon. They are not an off the shelf size tho.
chris_uk
Premium Member

19th Oct 17 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a couple weeks ago me and a friend started making out new water tank and it started to turn to shit as we were just not doing things properly. so we decided to start again, taking what we learnt from the first one we did a couple things different and i think we have ended up with a better result.

this was the old pump mount face which we didnt cool and it just warped like mad.

when we re-did it but this time made sure we had loads of cooling.

some other pics of the tank

the baffle, we wanted to make a baffle which would give us the most accurate reading.

this was the first design, but after testing we found that it was too small and it had too many holes..

so i re-designed it completely and ended up with this.

chris_uk
Premium Member

5th Nov 17 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

little update for those still reading.

Tank is almost finished, it holds 5.5L of water, not including the pipework etc which we think will add at least another litre.

started off by making the surge pot where the outlet pipe is for the pump.

inner bead, these are so hard to do for me, the base is 1.2mm and the edge was 0.7 so it just eats right through.. managed to get a really nice bead going here for a little bit..

filled with water and hey presto.. no leaks.. :O

started with the lid then,

this is going to be the filler neck which is welded to the inside of the lid

made some heat sinks out of ali..

unfortunately i didn't get any of the finished ones as it was late and we turned in for the night, in the morning we tacked it up and realised, so its staying on.
gazza808

12th Nov 17 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good!

Only logged in to say I'm still following!
chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Nov 17 at 16:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unfortunately i dont have much in the way of updates atm, everything stopped as im waiting for some parts to come back and i have to finish the living room before xmas
chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Jun 18 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm, i guess using facebook pics is a bad idea if you dont upload them to an album.. .

So car is now put back together with a couple new things..

New brake Discs

new spoiler

its a little bigger than the last, but its also got a much better profile on the wing..

aero testing

i did some basic flow tests to see if there was any major separation, and im pleased to say, there was very very little.

new splitter profile and side gurneys

chris_uk
Premium Member

9th Jun 18 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also did a trackday at blyton (old wing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS8003CzWDY&t=2s
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Jun 18 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ojc

17th Jul 18 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You’ve had this a few years now?
chris_uk
Premium Member

17th Jul 18 at 15:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2007 is when i bought it
SetH

21st Jul 18 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was following this thread when I was lurking. Just wanted to say top machine, top work and love the engineering ingenuity
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st Jul 18 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Todays mission was to replace the standard fuel tank with the Pro Alloy 48Ltr one.

This should reduce the fuel starvation i'm getting on fast left corners.

you can see the standard tank is angled towards the fuel pump.

side by side

this is all the crap out of the breather, probably over 1000 miles and a trackday and this is what i have collected.

and ready for the trackday at blyton.

chris_uk
Premium Member

11th Aug 18 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my trackday and it went quite well.. car ran fine all day..

I first did Blyton Park 4 years ago and managed a 1'11.59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j1Zd_PWNi0&t=699s

then 3 months ago i went back and cut my time down by a little more..

down to a 1'10.8..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS8003CzWDY

i watched chris randalls GT4 Europa drive there years ago on youtube and he managed a 1'09.x and i always wanted to be aiming for around that, i mean.. if i can be similar to a fully fledged gt4 race car then i would be pretty happy..

i have a very generous friend who invited me to a private trackday at blyton so i thought the track was going to be pretty quiet so i was going to try get a 1'09.x

packed and ready to go!

quick flyby and first corner sliding..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcL4MKSKQd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ittv92KZFpA

after the day had finished i checked my super secret hidden lap timer and checked....

1'08.94! with a pax!

[Edited on 11-08-2018 by chris_uk]

[Edited on 11-08-2018 by chris_uk]
chris_uk
Premium Member

21st Sep 22 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

update..

made some progress on the garage.

[Edited on 06-11-2022 by chris_uk]
chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Nov 22 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[Edited on 06-11-2022 by chris_uk]

<<  24    25    26    27  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » The VX220 Project! - Garage Update- Pics and Vids 23 database queries in 0.2054799 seconds