corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Carra to quit International footy - now including his rant at a radio host

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Carra to quit International footy - now including his rant at a radio host
Cosmo

User status: Offline
8th Jul 07 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From the Daily Mail...

quote:

Jamie Carragher is ready to quit the England team after being left out of the crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia last month.

The Liverpool centre-half, who played in four of England's five games at the World Cup last year, has made just five appearances under Steve McClaren.

He has never started in his favoured position in a back four, even when John Terry and Rio Ferdinand have been injured, despite winning rave reviews as he helped his club to a second Champions League final appearance in three years.

His likely decision to retire from international football, which mirrors Paul Scholes' self-imposed England exile,was brought to a head when he was left out of the side who defeated Estonia 3-0 in Tallinn.

A source close to the 29-year-old said last night: "Jamie does not want to sound like a big-time Charlie. He just feels that at this stage of his career it would be better if he concentrated his efforts on helping Liverpool become the No 1 team in England again.

"He has always regarded it as a tremendous honour to represent his country and he has happy memories of pulling on the shirt. But things have to end some time and he thinks this might be a good time to bow out."

Against Estonia, the euphoria surrounding David Beckham's England return overshadowed Carragher's huge disappointment at being dropped to the bench.

He had accepted the fact he was behind the likes of Terry, Ferdinand and Jonathan Woodgate in the central defensive pecking order but, in a match when both Ferdinand and Woodgate were unavailable, McClaren's preference for the injuryprone Ledley King came as a bitter personal blow.

The situation was made worse when the England manager picked Wes Brown at right-back, a role Carragher has filled in the absence through injury of Gary Neville.

McClaren, having failed to talk Scholes into returning to the international scene, has not given up on persuading Carragher to reverse his decision and has been in constant touch with him. He will seek to meet the player on his return, before he names the squad for the friendly against Germany on August 22 at Wembley.

Carragher has collected 34 England caps since he made his debut as a substitute against Hungary in April 1999, ironically in the game that also signalled Brown's nternational arrival. In that time, the Anfield favourite has earned a reputation for being a wholehearted player who rarely let the side down, despite being asked to play all across the back four.

Eriksson once tried him as a holding midfield player, but McClaren has used him at right-back, left-back and as one of three centre-halves in a 3-5-2 formation, as well as, briefly, in his favoured position.

Carragher won 27 caps during Eriksson's reign, but his appearances have been restricted to just three starts since McClaren took over.

I dont blame the guy really. Under Sven atleast he knew his role...he wasnt first choice for CB and would fill in when asked and used as a utility player when needed. Under McClaren though he doesnt even get games when a few defenders are out.

Im not sure what else the guy has to do to be picked, obviously being one of the most consistant defenders over the last 4 seasons isnt enough.

[Edited on 08-07-2007 by Cosmo]

[Edited on 09-07-2007 by Cosmo]
Russ

8th Jul 07 at 05:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can understand the situation, the three best defenders in england are rio JT and JC, if anyone of them is injured the other could easily fill the slot, but when your putting King and Dawson infront of him its a fukin joke.

on the bright side, one less person in the way of Joleon Lescott
Rob_Quads

8th Jul 07 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can see where he is coming from but IMO you should not retire unless you think your about loose form such that you know you will not be selected i.e. leave on a high.

You only need to look at Beckham for the perfect example. If not selected just work away. You never know what will happen. McClaren might not be there in a few games if the results don't go thier way so I would keep things open still as he still could have many many years of playing left.
Cosmo

8th Jul 07 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He isnt going to leave on a high though, he wont get the chance. He isnt Beckham where he once was a major starter and just needs to force his way back him - he has been one of the most consitantly top defenders for years and years yet never gets a sniff.

And if McClaren goes then the new manager can try to get him out of retirement if he feels he can offer him a fair chance. Until then I think he's doing the write thing, he may aswell sit on the bench at home resting than being made to watch shite like Brown and King infront of him on the pitch.
strick206

8th Jul 07 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is the reason paul scholes retired, he was easily, and still is good enough to play in central midfield infront of lampard, but yet they kept putting him on the left. Im not fussed though as scholes was brilliant last year for us

On the whole playing right-back and wes brown getting picked instead, i agree with that, i like wes brown, thinks he's a good player and i also dont think carra is a very good right back, he's an excellent CB just not RB imo, so i would sooner see a right-back who is good at it play there

I watched wes brown a good few times at right back at old trafford last season, and his performances were very good imo
Marc

8th Jul 07 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said, McClaren is a badger!

Wes Brown is a very good right back though and if I was him I'd be very ashamed of his last performance as it was very poor.

Are you really surprised that a Spurs player starts a head of Carragher though?
Cosmo

8th Jul 07 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Are you really surprised that a Spurs player starts a head of Carragher though?

Im never surprised if anyone is picked against a Liverpool (or Northern for that matter) player.

Only have to look back to see where its shite for our players...Gerrard continually played out of position for a badget called Lumplard, Terry getting the captains armband, Fowler never given a proper chance even when in his prime and scoring 30+ goals a season - every season, McManaman never given a chance even when playing extremely well for us and then Madrid.
Jamie Walby

8th Jul 07 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good
shawboy

8th Jul 07 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont blame jamie,its like a kick in bollocks when king/dawson/brown get picked in front of you.
strick206

8th Jul 07 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shawboy
i dont blame jamie,its like a kick in bollocks when brown gets picked in front of you.

Brown is a better right back than carragher is though

it is a kick in the nads when king/dawson get picked, as he is clearly a better player than them
Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

“There are a number of reasons why I’ve been thinking about this,” said Carragher.

“I first thought about it after the World Cup because I wondered how many chances I’d get for England at centre half.

“Then when Sol Campbell was out of the picture I thought I could put pressure on Rio Ferdinand for the other centre half position alongside John Terry.

“Given my form for Liverpool, I genuinely thought that was possible, but over the last 12 months players like Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King have played there ahead of me.

“I can’t really argue with that because they’re top drawer players. It’s not as if they’re Mickey Mouse defenders.

“Even in the last two games against Brazil and Estonia, England conceded just one goal, so people can argue the manager got his decision spot on.

“It’s just that from a purely personal point of view, it’s been disappointing because after some of my performances for Liverpool I thought I deserved a chance.

“I hoped I could come in, play out of my skin and do well enough to keep my place, not just for one game or two, but cement it.

“It was particularly disappointing for me when Rio was out against Estonia and I wasn’t picked.

“I thought I’d had a good season for Liverpool, especially helping us get to the Champions League final.

“Like any player I thought I deserved to play, but not doing so made the situation crystal clear to me.

“Everyone can see England are very strong in the central defensive department at the moment. There are a lot of world class players there and most of them are younger than me, have their best years ahead and will get better and better.

“I’m 29 now, and I have to accept if I’m not a regular starter now, I don’t think I ever will be.

“It’s going to be difficult for me to be seen as anything more than a squad player, and at this stage of my career that’s not what I’m interested in.

“Playing the odd game here and there isn’t enough. Four or five years ago I was happy to have that role, but not now.

“Recently when I’ve been asked to play at full-back I’ve found it a lot more difficult than I did when was doing it for Liverpool.

“It’s a physically demanding position and I didn’t think I played well against Brazil.

“It’s more tiring than being a centre back, particularly when you’re not as used to it as I used to be. I think it would be a good time for me to step aside.

“Some of the younger defenders deserve their chance, like Joleon Lescott at Everton, or Stephen Taylor from Newcastle.”

McClaren is determined to keep Carragher involved, especially with King and Woodgate injury prone and Rio Ferdinand a yellow card away from a suspension in the qualifiers.

“If it’s an absolute emergency – and by that I mean if all available centre halves are out injured or there are suspensions - I probably won’t say no if I’m asked,” said Carragher.

“I’m not doing this to leave England in the lurch.”

Carragher is generous in his praise for the under siege England manager and insists he’d feel the same way no matter who was in charge.

“I want to stress this has nothing do would Steve McClaren,” he said.

“It wouldn’t have mattered who was the England manager, I’ve been thinking about this for a while. I’ve worked with Steve for five years as part of the England set-up.

“I have a great time working with him and a lot of the England coaches. I’m just thinking about this from a purely personal point of view.

“The reason I’m delaying a final decision is because I didn’t want people to think I have a bad attitude or I’m turning my back on the country at a bad time.”

England’s loss would undoubtedly be Liverpool’s gain. Rafa Benitez would be relieved a key member of his squad no longer has the distraction of energy-sapping international breaks.

That’s a factor which is also on Carragher’s mind.

“When you go away with England you get back to Liverpool on a Thursday and sometimes have a match early on Saturday,” he said.

“I’ve never liked the situation where I’ve not felt 100 per cent before a Liverpool match. Even if you don’t play in the international, going away and travelling can take it out of you.

“Leaving all that behind would be another reason for my decision and I’ll be happier when those breaks come around and I’ll be fresher for the Liverpool matches.

“Liverpool has always been my first priority, and having just signed a new four-year contract I want all my focus to be on the club, winning trophies here from now on.

“I’ve always said I want to stay at Liverpool for life, and I think not playing for England would help make that more realistic.

“It could add at least two more years on my career at the top level, and that’s uppermost in my mind.”
Dee
Banned

9th Jul 07 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't blame him at all and I doubt many England fans blame him either, this situation just proves McClaren is a fcuking retard.
Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TalkSport were just having a go about Carras decision to quit, calling him a bottler, etc. and Carra must of been listen and rang in to have a go back

I'll post up a link when someone gets it up!
Hammer

9th Jul 07 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's pretty much a toss up between Terry, Ferdinand and Carragher tbh, the rest shouldn't be getting a game in front of him though.
Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
It's pretty much a toss up between Terry, Ferdinand and Carragher tbh, the rest shouldn't be getting a game in front of him though.

he'd accept that aswell, its the fact that King, Brown and Woodgate get a look in before him too thats made him quit.
Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apparently he told whoever it was on TalkSport who called him a bottler to come down to Melwood tomorrow and say it to his face

Was meant to be raging so I doubt many understood what he was saying
Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His rant, take your pick to download from.....

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SX05MG4G
http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=audio&file=talkSPORT_live.mp3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q8S20V5W
eddiewhiteley

9th Jul 07 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adrian durham is a tit, says stuff just to be controversial

Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eddiewhiteley
adrian durham is a tit, says stuff just to be controversial

got what he deserved theh, as doubt he though Carra was going to ring up.

When he said to come down to Melwood and tell him to his face he is a bottler
J da Silva

9th Jul 07 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was quite surprised at how squeeky Carragher went when the presenter started to wrap him up.
Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jizinho Silva 10
I was quite surprised at how squeeky Carragher went when the presenter started to wrap him up.

a lot of scousers go high pitched when ranting
J da Silva

9th Jul 07 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand his actions though, I've been in a similiar boat in my youth, just got sick of not being considered good enough.
Nath

9th Jul 07 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Carra's rant
Cosmo

9th Jul 07 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not many footballers that would bother ringing up
Nath

9th Jul 07 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the Lita thing he referred to? Wouldnt mind hearing that.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Carra to quit International footy - now including his rant at a radio host 23 database queries in 0.1981590 seconds