corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project: GSI money pit (New wheels on and pic update 06.07.2008 pg7)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project: GSI money pit (New wheels on and pic update 06.07.2008 pg7)
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Mar 07 at 16:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

slight update from the other day.

Did a genral check on the front and rear pads in the discs and drums to check they werent too worn. they were all ok but i dedided to tidy up the drums whilst i was there with some black hammerite paint

before

after

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
gavin18787
Premium Member

20th May 07 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right after many problems and a while off the road my car is back

I noticed it was using lots of coolent and origionally thought it was the rad as I had noticed it had been damp under the car before. However it turned out to been the headgasket.
So the car was sent off to warren.g who did a top job at sorting it all out with all of the problems that he came accross. Once the head was off it was apparent that it was worse then first thought and that the head had been badly corroded by head gasket going

So i then set about tracking down a new cylinder head that proved harder then i thought. But i eventually got a nice ported and polished one from dave a for a good price

So then the car was all reassembled along with a new timing belt, rollers and water pump. Also relised i had been lucky in some ways as once the belt was off it was apparent how knackered the old one was

The car now runs sweet as a nut, many thanks to warren for all the work. If anyone needs anything doing and is in the south east I can highly recomend him drop him a u2u and seen what he can do

The car also had all of its plastics (bumpers, acrhes and skirts) resprayed and the rust taken off of the tail gate so it now looks good and goes good

So it got a wash today and the compulsory pics were taken

So my to do list now consists of:

> get a new rad to fix the little leak it has
>get exhaust sitting a little higher and closer to the bumper, differnet rubbers should solve this
>Get some suspension on there to lower it, thinking GAZ coilovers atm
> Do something with the wheels (either refurb these/powder coat a darker colour or get something like speedlines on there )

See you at PVS hopefully

Nick A

20th May 07 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice gav!!! very nice

What did you have done to the boot lid to sort out the rust - respray??
gavin18787
Premium Member

20th May 07 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spoiler was removed and then the rust sanded back then resprayed and blended in.

The rust i had was on the end of the spoiler where it joins the boot here

JM_16v

21st May 07 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has the rust come back? or is that a old ic gaz?
gavin18787
Premium Member

21st May 07 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JM_16v
has the rust come back? or is that a old ic gaz?

Within a month i would hope not i would be straight back to the body shop for a word

No its an old pic from the day i got it

gavin18787
Premium Member

3rd Jul 07 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right the car got its suspension fitted at the weekend

Got a G-max -60mm kit from Drax, thanks mate and went round to warren.g's to fit it.

All went on nice and easy with no set backs which was unusual for my car

Handling seems nicer now. Seems sharper and more predictable and the turn in seems better. So all in all im very happy with it. Just got to watch my bumper now

My to do list now consists of:

> get MFD working correctly
> replace knackered hazzard switch and heater switch
> decide what im going to do about oil consumption (looking like stem seals )
> maybe fit a powerbox of some description if one comes up
> also considering new alloys or powder coating these anthracite but im liking how it looks at the moment

Warren G

3rd Jul 07 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looked better dirty

im feeling gunmetal colour alloys
vxlgsi

4th Jul 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice work, gotta love the gsi's
gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Jul 07 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by warren.g
looked better dirty

im feeling gunmetal colour alloys

Same here im going to do a photoshop and post it up

Ben ev

5th Jul 07 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

abit low? gona be hitting the speed bumps if you dont go over @1mph and look a knob.
Craigy|uk

5th Jul 07 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first thing i would do is put some corsa C clear side repeaters on hehe, then probs get the door handles painted, then last but not least....Speedlines or soft stars !!
gavin18787
Premium Member

5th Jul 07 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben ev
abit low? gona be hitting the speed bumps if you dont go over @1mph and look a knob.

Only caught it once so far

gavin18787
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I spent this weekend fitting some new audio stuff to my car as i wanted to ditch all of the cd's littering the car and go to using my Ipod

Had a few issues with the wiring to get it to have a perminant live as i think the accesory position on my ignition is fecked but thats all sorted now

Quick faff around with the wiring to get a constant live (cheers richie and pow for the help )

New unit in and ready to go, sounds better then the old JVC one too which is nice

Considering upgrading my front comps to 17cm ones now too so the sound is nicer

Also finally bothered to fit my sub and amp to the car that i had in my old one, Nothing special just knocked it up from some MDF to keep it tidy. Heres how i made it a while ago..........

Cut some cardboard templates to get the size and shape of the boot right

Cut the mdf to the shape and size and marked out where the sub and amp were going and cut it in two so that it is easily removable from the boot if needed.

I then cut the hole for the amp and made an enclosure and feet for the mdf to raise it up off the boot floor. I did the same for the other side

Trial fitted it to the car

Gave it a little sand down til the fitment was nice (made it a little bit loose to allow for the fabric covering.

Covered the mdf in felt using pva glue and stapling around the edges. The sub box was then bolted down

I then used a routor to make a lip on the mdf to sink the perspex into. once the fitment was good i fined this side with the felt and screwed down the perspex ontop.

finished and ready to fit

how it looked in the old car

Off to the scrappy now to try and get a new MFD and hazzard light switch so all my interior stuff is fully working, then its onto solving the rattling exhaust...............

Gavin

gavin18787
Premium Member

4th Aug 07 at 17:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorted a couple of niggles on the car today that have been bugging me for a while by making a trip to the motor factors and local vaux breakers

First up i went to the motor factors to get an exhaust strap and some hose clips. Then set about this amature bodge to stop my exhaust rattling on the rear beam Not pritty but effective for now

Next I went to the local vauxhall breakers and got a new MFD as im sick of looking at 0.00 01/03/1992 everytime i get in the car
Also got a new hazzard switch as mines a bit tempermental and i want to avoid trouble at mot time. Only downer is they didnt have any with the little led but this isnt too much of an issue

MFD with todays date on it

Next up is to stop the dam thing drinking oil and smoking 20 a day

Nick A

5th Aug 07 at 18:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good gav!!

Engine problems dont sound good, mine does the same but am moving on to a new car. your prob looking at piston rings etc
gavin18787
Premium Member

5th Aug 07 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer im getting it tested to confirm it is the rings but im 90% sure its them
Im going to look into how much its going to cost and then decide to either do it or move on to a new car.

gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Nov 07 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right Update time

Decided to keep the corsa and get its smoking and oil drinking habit sorted along with a few new toys on the way

First off I began spending the £££'s and buying parts:

> bits needed to cure smoking problem and make engine run nice including, rings, stem seals, bottom end shells, headgasket, headbolts and so on.

>arp bolts

> sbd rollers

> mantzel inlet

>janspeed 421 manifold

This kept the postman busy and amused the cat

Then it was off to kent to leave the car at warren.g's dad's house to let the people who know what they are doing do the work.

Left it there for a week and went to collect it the week after

All went well except for me buying a set of rings off of someone and them been the wrong ones and cylinder 4 been corroded. But after honeing all was well again

Couple of pics I was sent

Now with the car back ive got a few things to finish off such as finding a suitable peice of air ducting to go from the air box to the inlet and genrally tidying up the bay. Car runs lovely but has an ECU light which is throwing up codes 43, 63 and 64 which are distributor/coil pack related. so we are going to look into this. We are suspecting it is an earthing issue.

Doing to get myself a proper oil catch tank at some point but for the time been ive made one from a plastic beer bottle Mum thinks I have taken up drugs since she saw me melting holes in it

Then set about cleaning up the engine bay, but I got cold Check out how far i got

More to come shortly including the remap when im sure all the niggles are gone

Top to warren for all the work and his dad for letting my car clutter up his house yet again. Highly recomended to anyone in the SE area.

[Edited on 24-11-2007 by gavin18787]

Fro

24th Nov 07 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent stuff gav Didnt know you was inletting it

How's it pull now you've had that done?
gavin18787
Premium Member

24th Nov 07 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lots better now. The 421 and stuff has given it alot more lower end and mid range pickup. At 30mph in 4th you can put your foot down and it picks up really nicely compared to what it used too.

The mantzel makes a big difference once you hit 5krpm. Feels like you have put your foot down on the accelorator more

Just a shame that the limiter kicks in as soon as your getting into it Soon to be sorted though when i find somewhere to get it mapped

Fro

24th Nov 07 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweeeeet
P1CK4D

25th Nov 07 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Gavin! Cant wait to see this little baby fly!
gavin18787
Premium Member

25th Nov 07 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone from the SE care to suggest a place fairly local and good to do a remap?

Warren G

25th Nov 07 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hopefully get those lil problems sorted, and will be one very clean rapid gsi!
SAL
Premium Member

25th Nov 07 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loving it

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project: GSI money pit (New wheels on and pic update 06.07.2008 pg7) 24 database queries in 0.3615072 seconds