corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » C12NZ Tuning?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author C12NZ Tuning?
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
13th Feb 07 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After reading this thread:

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=165790&highlight=c12nz+tuning+-no+laughter%21

And the fact I cant afford insurance for anything better, i'm going to tune my 1.2 8v

So, that thread on MIG says I need a 1.4 8v SPi throttle body & injector. Will this directly replace the 1.2s one directly, or will it need any work?

Im on the lookout for a nova 1.4sr to get the cam out of, and also a GSI for the manifold. So will these mods, plus a de-cat exhaust really make it quicker than a 1.3sr nova? Because if iirc, they are nippy little bastards!!
andyc1234

13th Feb 07 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just dont bother at all the cheapest and easiest thing you can do is put a 1.4 spi lump in. i took a throttle body off a 1.6 astra and found out it was exactly the same size as the 1.2. you have 44bhp all the things you can put on it would struggle to be 50bhp. the 1.4 is 60 bhp and more torquey so just do that instead easy easy job to do
ChrisBoom

13th Feb 07 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by andyc1234
just dont bother at all the cheapest and easiest thing you can do is put a 1.4 spi lump in. i took a throttle body off a 1.6 astra and found out it was exactly the same size as the 1.2. you have 44bhp all the things you can put on it would struggle to be 50bhp. the 1.4 is 60 bhp and more torquey so just do that instead easy easy job to do

Ideally i would put in a 1.6 8v, but I would have to "forget" to tell the insurance, same with the 1.4, really cant afford much on insurance at all.
andyc1234

13th Feb 07 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ye well if you put the 1.4 in they look the same and you should still tell the insurance about changing all the bits on the engine anyway
ChrisBoom

13th Feb 07 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if they guy on MIG is being truthful though?

[quote=Guy on MIG]
That made it a bit quicker than my old 1.3 sr

Nova SRs were really damn fast, for what they were. I can probably get all the bits cheaper, and do less work, to tune the 1.2 rather than drop a 1.4 in.

[Edited on 13-02-2007 by macboom69]
CoastalCorsa

14th Feb 07 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you cant afford insurance then dont touch you car cos any mods that improve performance, obviously should be declared and any mods declared increase premiums

Have you thought this through matey, unless you inform your insurance of mods, you are voiding your insurance in the event of an accident, worst case scenario - your car is impounded and you cant get to it to remove mods before inspectionist comes along looking for reasons not to pay out.

[Edited on 14-02-2007 by CoastalCorsa]
ChrisBoom

14th Feb 07 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CoastalCorsa
if you cant afford insurance then dont touch you car cos any mods that improve performance, obviously should be declared and any mods declared increase premiums

Have you thought this through matey, unless you inform your insurance of mods, you are voiding your insurance in the event of an accident, worst case scenario - your car is impounded and you cant get to it to remove mods before inspectionist comes along looking for reasons not to pay out.

[Edited on 14-02-2007 by CoastalCorsa]

Thats why I want to tune the 1.2. If a 1.4 is in, they could check the engine codes, but that aren't going to check that the cam is standard, the throttle body etc. All the bits I want to get for it look the same as the 1.2 bits, so how can they tell then?
CoastalCorsa

14th Feb 07 at 00:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what management would you run the car on, std management would not run the car smoothly with uprated cams so there wouldbe no performance increase

i dont have an answer for your question coz i dont know what lengths insurance will go to, to avoid paying out
ChrisBoom

14th Feb 07 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CoastalCorsa
what management would you run the car on, std management would not run the car smoothly with uprated cams so there wouldbe no performance increase

i dont have an answer for your question coz i dont know what lengths insurance will go to, to avoid paying out

The cam would be from a 1.4sr, apparently makes the idle a little lumpy, but improves the engine a fair bit.
CoastalCorsa

14th Feb 07 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tis worth a try, just put the std cam somewhere safe so if the mods fail you still have the std stuff to re-install
CoastalCorsa

14th Feb 07 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell you what mate, have a look on here for a guy called morley he had a 1.2 8v corsa and he tuned his then at a later date he tuned a nova 1.3 sr engine.

he should be able to help
Vaux Lad

14th Feb 07 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can gain 5-8bhp from a simple cam swap to a nova gte/gsi cam.
60bhp is easily possible by cam swap, 1.6spi inlet, 1.8spi throttle body, and a good exhaust/manifold.
I had those mods on mine, went quite well for a 1200.

You wont get nova 1.3sr power tho.

These engines are really restricted by a shite flowing inlet and cylinder head, single branch manifold,cat, and the pathetic lift camshaft.

[Edited on 14-02-2007 by Vaux Lad]

[Edited on 14-02-2007 by Vaux Lad]
ChrisBoom

14th Feb 07 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vaux Lad
You can gain 5-8bhp from a simple cam swap to a nova gte/gsi cam.
60bhp is easily possible by cam swap, 1.6spi inlet, 1.8spi throttle body, and a good exhaust/manifold.
I had those mods on mine, went quite well for a 1200.

These engines are really restricted by a shite flowing inlet and cylinder head, single branch manifold and cat.

Hell, that sound pretty damn good, so long as it doesnt still get blown by 12volts, im happy
CorsAsh

14th Feb 07 at 02:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really, please, do not bother. I've completely rebuilt my top end, made pretty much no difference.
scottc1088

14th Feb 07 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got some bits from a nova gte engine if you need anything, got the cam, exhaust etc
Kurt

14th Feb 07 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was gonna put a nova sr cam in, 1.8 cav spi throttle body and 1.6 astra spi inlet manifold, 421 manifold with decat was told this would get it from 45 to 60bhp...

ive got an sr cam aswell if you want to buy it with my 1.4 throttle body
Superlite Ltd.

14th Feb 07 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Save your money until you can afford to buy a 1.6 IMO
ChrisBoom

14th Feb 07 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Superlite Ltd.
Save your money until you can afford to buy a 1.6 IMO

Oh, it il be a few years probably. Im only 16, but I got a quote online from more than, just put my age up a year, was quoted £959, so theres so way I am going to get insured on anything else, not till im 20 or something
Superlite Ltd.

14th Feb 07 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah, fair enuf.

Weight reductions are your best bet
Makes it accelerate better
Matt L

14th Feb 07 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this makes me want to do this lol as i cant afford a bigger engine and im sick of the lack of pull it has. (i know no matter what i do in the end its still a 1.2 but i would like it a bit better).
Kurt

14th Feb 07 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you know what ill do it too lol, cant be bothered with an xe yet
Matt L

14th Feb 07 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol. so thats 3 of us.
Vaux Lad

15th Feb 07 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Really, please, do not bother. I've completely rebuilt my top end, made pretty much no difference.

Completely rebuilt, with standard parts tho?
Kurt

15th Feb 07 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got a mate that wants to totally rebuild mine with vernier pulleys, ported and skimmed head, lightened crank and flywheel all on the cheap, will be intrested to see what comes of it
Matt L

15th Feb 07 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

omg its the start iv just got a nova sr cam shaft (i think the bloke said it was anyway). hopefully pickin up a 1.4 throttle body and injectors and theyll be getting fitted next week hopefully. (can see it not doing anything but might aswell try lol).

[Edited on 15-02-2007 by Matt L]

[Edited on 15-02-2007 by Matt L]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll