corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R32 GTR Skyline - Time Attack & Super Lap Scotland

New Poll
  <<  47    48    49    50    51    52    53  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R32 GTR Skyline - Time Attack & Super Lap Scotland
sand-eel

User status: Offline
20th Oct 10 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Black wheels would be nice
AK

15th Nov 10 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gearbox out
engine out
rear diff to come out

DannyB
Premium Member

16th Nov 10 at 00:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No messing around, what's happening now then?
daymoon
Premium Member

20th Nov 10 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DannyB
Premium Member

3rd Dec 10 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look what I found on Speedhunters in one writers 'Photo Of The Year' section..

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/12/03/photos-of-the-year-2010-gt-gt-paddy-mcgrath-pt-i.aspx

quote:
2010 was my first year shooting the UK based Time Attack Series. Tasked with creating an 'Art of' post from the event, I wandered around the paddock early in the morning trying to capture the atmosphere around the place. I was coming back from shooting the empty track when I picked out the front of this GT-R poking it's nose from the pit garages. Once I had composed the image in the viewfinder it was just a case of using a shallower depth of field to guide one's eye onto the car. Basic colour adjustments in PP and it was ready to run.
AK

5th Dec 10 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

peek-a-boo

ok... some GTR news..

Plans change as soon as they are made :S

We now need a new block. The old one (been through 3 engine builds with us) was cracked. Both sides, on the water jacket external side. There is a history of these blocks being porous but unsure if its this or just metal fatigue :S

So... we now need a new block.

There are lots of options as usual... and costly with is usual for bloody Skylines!

GT (RRR) block would be about 4-5k (used in Nissan racing engines)
N1 (24U) block would be 2k+ (used in N1 and as thicker cast walls)
Standard (05U) block - about £300 used app the earlier blocks are stronger so looking for an '89 R32 GTR block.

New Rear Diff - OS Giken SuperLock
New Cams + Pullies - Tomei PonCam B

ditching the headwork and using milder cams so no real expected power gains.

[Edited on 05-12-2010 by AK]
Mertin

5th Dec 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What option you going for with the block? This ones lasted well has it? Will a standard good condition block be ok for your use / power?
AK

5th Dec 10 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not spending thousands on a block to take 600-650bhp.

So were going with an 05U. I've bought one already and looking for an earlier one just incase the first one is pish (it has a score on no6 cly, but we need it bored out to 87mm anyway so should be fine)

They only way I'd opt for a GT block would be if I ran a tuning business, or was a millionare.

I'd go for the N1 if we were running or planned to run 800'ish bhp.
AK

7th Dec 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok.. here is the latest.

The block was descovered to be cracked/porus externally via the water jackets on inlet and exhaust side. We've had a look round and tried to buy used N1 blocks but decided on an early R33 05U that had enough meat on the bores to get rid of any imperfections (we run 87mm Trust pistons)

Engine Upgrades: Not many - trying to keep this more as a refresh rather than an all new engine for Fee to learn all over LOL

Tomei PonCams, typeB - vernier pullies
Tomei Turbo elbows.

The car was running standard cast R32 elbows and cams in 2010

Suspension: Still need to get home to strip off the TEINS for an inspection. Plan to replace ARB's and bushes at rear. It was still running OE (old OE at that) ARB's and bushes in 2010.

Cage: Will strip out the altered chromoley Cusco/Safety21 cage and partially seam weld the shell before getting Custom Cages T45 fitted.

Diff - Going for an OS SuperLock rear diff. Car was running a standard (and unserviced (bar oil ofcourse) in the 4 years we've owned the car)rear diff in 2010.

On a positive note RB Motorsport have noticed we have had some headwork done in the past. Not really sure who's done it or when but who cares LOL. The head has been rebuilt twice in our ownership.
alan t

7th Dec 10 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty sure one of the painters at my work has a spare block that came out his r33 gtr. he said the bores were scored so it would need a rebore, could ask him tomorrow at work if its any use to you?
AK

7th Dec 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no thanks... we have sourced a block or 5.
alan t

7th Dec 10 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nae bother
AK

7th Dec 10 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK

16th Dec 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

working on the car today.... till about 2:30pm when it got to -5 and the water on the ground in the garage had frozen :brrrrrrrr:

Stripped off all the old (4+ years) TEIN RS Circuit Masters... and have to say that they seem to be imacculate! In some of the pics the have been given a rub with a towel, but I've got them home to clean properly and setup/change springs.

The crappy susp in the pics is ancient (by the looks of it) TEIN HR just fitted them to keep the car a rolling shell.

Pistons/rods have no lateral movement. The compress and rebound as expected..... no going to bother getting them sent to Japan to be refurbed

stripped off the camber arms to have a look at them as I'd noticed a bit of play in them. Bearings were fine, just a bit loose on the securing collar giving a wee bit of sideways movement. Fine after tightening.

[Edited on 16-12-2010 by AK]
AK

18th Jan 11 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

***************** 3rd Jan 2011 ************

New cage ordered from Custom Cages....need to replace my old one as it is not up to Pro class regulations.

T45 Multipoint weld in job

Should be here in a couple of weeks hopefully

**************** 17th Jan 2011 ****************

Thats the Cusco cage out, dash out to get flocked.

Some more weight saving done too - a good few bits and bobs from behind the dash

more weight out this afternoon...

Prob about 15kg saved since the last round of TA. The new T45 cage will prob weigh a bit more than the old one (i will weigh it this eve )

EDIT -

quote:
As a guide this equates to a weight saving of approximately 0.5 kg per metre of tubing or 10 - 15% of the total roll cage weight when compared to CDS

*************** 18th Jan 2011 *****************

AK

25th Jan 11 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine arrived. Not many changes but should be better all round

New block, Cams + pullies, Turbo elbows, manifolds matched, new rings, bearings, seals etc etc

Bushes - what a pain in the arse. Spent most of the day bugging Simon at WP for a hand with them. Cunting Skyline. Nearly one rear side done

Need the bush that mounts the strut base too, its fucked.
AK

3rd Feb 11 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Custom Cages T45 cage finally arrived (at the house rather than WP!!!)

Hopefully get started on Monday

M Sutton

4th Feb 11 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks awesome! be good to see the cage all fitted. Look forward to seeing the car in action later in the year.

[Edited on 04-02-2011 by M Sutton]
AK

15th Feb 11 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fitting has started

AK

17th Feb 11 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graeme
Premium Member

18th Feb 11 at 00:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good. Is the roof coming off to get to the top of the cage or is there enough clearance?

Hadent noticed but I'm glad to see there is a non broken front plate. That used to annoy the hell out of me, a nice car with crappy number plate!
AK

18th Feb 11 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There were holes cut in the floor and the cage lowerd through to get access to weld the tops
AK

18th Feb 11 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AK

28th Feb 11 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DIY gearbox rebuild has started

Redline shockproof = minging stuff!
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Feb 11 at 17:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shot peened gears?

<<  47    48    49    50    51    52    53  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R32 GTR Skyline - Time Attack & Super Lap Scotland 23 database queries in 0.2093019 seconds