corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » my new group a shell with pics, info on 4x4 system needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my new group a shell with pics, info on 4x4 system needed
jamie m

User status: Offline
19th Oct 06 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the last year i have been running a nova gsi with a c20let engine and 6speed getrag box with quaife lsd, the engine was running a healthy 300+ bhp with tubular manifold t34 hybred turbo all fueling altered 86.5mm pistons courtenay cams etc etc etc

anyway i have decided to break the car as some of you may of seen because iv layed my hands on a corsa gsi shell converted proffesionally to a group a spec for super 1600 rallying, the shell has been completely stripped to bare metal inside and underneath, stitch welded from front to back with a proper harry hockley cage, full built in fire extinguisher spray system with underbonnet and in car jets, alot of stuff came with the car which i was not really interested in, my idea was to build the car up with my c20let in running around 400-450 bhp with dta management, steel rods new inlet and nos, but with it still being fwd i thort im still going to struggle for grip like hell so after paying a mate a visit who owns www.tornado motorsport.co.uk we have thort it may be an idea to transform the car to 4x4 by space framing the rear end to accept a dif etc, but im just collecting info at the moment on best ways to do it? iv included some questions below.

- will the transfer box mount on ok and clear the rack and bulkhead, if not what needs doing?
-do i still keep the engine in the same position and use the c20let and f28 mounts available for a corsa b? and what mount is suggested for the transfer box?
-will the exhaust tunnel need widening/modding at all to accept the prop and where will my 3" exhaust run?
- i would rather space frame the rear end than weld a calibra floorpan in and mount everything on the frame, am i best using the cali rear diff and shortening/balancing the cali prop?
- can i still keep the corsa original track width to keep the car looking standardish from the outside?? obviously i will need 3 custom shafts making up? drivers side front and two rear ones
-do i simply use cali rear arms and outer hubs mounted on the spaceframe and do i have to use cali rear suspension?

i have not exactly thort much about it yet, just trying to gather information before i make any decisions? so any answers/ideas will be much appreciated

a couple of my old nova

[Edited on 19-10-2006 by jamie m]
jamie m

19th Oct 06 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its in both now as its a chat about my new car/project too
Marc

19th Oct 06 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a bit of an animal!
Robin
Premium Member

19th Oct 06 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

track width on the front should be ok, people on here have used cav shafts on a conversion with no problems.

exhaust, you'll probably need to weld a tunnel down the passenger floor.

not sure about the other bits though.
alli Ronald

19th Oct 06 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pepperami?

must admit it'd be a beast but im not sure if id blow all that cash on it - prolly be cheaper selling all the stuff you have and buying a GTiR or summit.
jamie m

19th Oct 06 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all what cash? time and effort? only things id need to buy would be shafts and have the prop done, locked transfer box, maybe abit more but i have the corsa shell, have the engine and box etc already have a cali turbo sat here doing nothing its just some fabrication between me and a mate and alot of time which i have anyway?
alli Ronald

19th Oct 06 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh didnt realise you were doing it yourself - good luck
Tom

19th Oct 06 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to a lad called Beardy mate, he's current doing a twin engined corsa (2 x let's) obviously gonna be something totally different in terms of transmition but he's pretty clued up.
jamie m

19th Oct 06 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh spoke to him mate im good mates with him, hes done one but with a cali turbo floorpan which i dont pan to use, im sure he will reply at some point anyway?
Tom

19th Oct 06 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have thought the track would have to be widened depending on what system you use. TX box might be an issue interms of size?
jr

19th Oct 06 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

using anything cally/cav turbo related like subframes/rear arms etc means the tracks going to be much much wider than the corsa shell ?
Ste L

19th Oct 06 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alright jamie, so this is why the nova's being broke...

should be a monster when finished
Mattb

19th Oct 06 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

- will the transfer box mount on ok and clear the rack and bulkhead, if not what needs doing?

No, as far as im aware the steering rack sits too low, and will need to be moved.. the bulkhead will need to be modified.

-do i still keep the engine in the same position and use the c20let and f28 mounts available for a corsa b? and what mount is suggested for the transfer box?

Yes use the same mounts, However the rear gearbox mount will need to be fiddled with.

-will the exhaust tunnel need widening/modding at all to accept the prop and where will my 3" exhaust run?

Yes

- i would rather space frame the rear end than weld a calibra floorpan in and mount everything on the frame, am i best using the cali rear diff and shortening/balancing the cali prop?

Yes space frame would be best.. however i would suggest a senator 3.0 24v LSD on the rear.. iirc there are two different ones, but one has the same final drive ratio as the cally one. Try and find a locked transfer box.

- can i still keep the corsa original track width to keep the car looking standardish from the outside?? obviously i will need 3 custom shafts making up? drivers side front and two rear ones

Yes a rear space frame would achieve this..

-do i simply use cali rear arms and outer hubs mounted on the spaceframe and do i have to use cali rear suspension?

I would have a complete custom rear setup made including arms etc, but use the cally hubs and possibly brakes

i think thats all about right

[Edited on 19-10-2006 by Mattb]

[Edited on 19-10-2006 by Mattb]
jamie m

19th Oct 06 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers matt b,
do you no if the actual bulkhead needs cutting and moving back at all or just move the steering rack up? if so how far?

the rear end is definatly going to get space framed, how do i find out which senator diff is the correct one to use, an lsd would be much better in the rear, think i am going to make up my own rear arms so i can run some good coilover suspension on the back to get the correct ride height,

ste_16v yep this is why its been broke up

jr its going to be spaceframed so its not going to b a wider track

Mattb

20th Oct 06 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jamie m
cheers matt b,
do you no if the actual bulkhead needs cutting and moving back at all or just move the steering rack up? if so how far?

the rear end is definatly going to get space framed, how do i find out which senator diff is the correct one to use, an lsd would be much better in the rear, think i am going to make up my own rear arms so i can run some good coilover suspension on the back to get the correct ride height,

ste_16v yep this is why its been broke up

jr its going to be spaceframed so its not going to b a wider track

Not entirely sure tbh.. **i think** its either 25mm or 2 inches the bulkehead will need cutting out a bit.

As for the rear diff, you would need to find out the final drive ratio of a cally one and find a senator one with the same ratio, as i said i know there are two different ones.
ed

20th Oct 06 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would be interesting if you got the wrong one
Robin
Premium Member

20th Oct 06 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't Harry Hockley do an IRS setup now?

surely that could be useful?
ed

20th Oct 06 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yepppppp, need to check which hubs they accept though
ed

20th Oct 06 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As that setup is designed to give you IRS and a rear Alcon disk setup...
jamie m

21st Oct 06 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

irs setup?
ed

21st Oct 06 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Independant rear suspension - i.e. two wishbones and struts rather than a rear beam.
Cybermonkey

21st Oct 06 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

independent rear suspension
Cybermonkey

21st Oct 06 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

damn you Edith
Jambo

21st Oct 06 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With running 400-450bhp your TXB probably wont last long!

Theres a sweedish dude on mig with a 500bhp+ claibra who will modify it to do so, and i dont think he charges that much either!
ed

21st Oct 06 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get it locked 50/50 so you don't have to worry about it

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » my new group a shell with pics, info on 4x4 system needed 23 database queries in 0.1916239 seconds