corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Morons

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Morons
shane_o

User status: Offline
21st Oct 06 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work as a apprentice at a vauxhall garage and i would never pay half of what is charged, been told to try sell as much as i can which really annoys me and i refuse to do it. we have silly policies like 3mm tread depth is a serious advise to replace and the ring people up and say that they need tyres ffs 3mm most could make that last 5k easily, now brake pads/discs loads of bs with them to 70% worn is the offical replace them now time and a 1mm lip on either side of the disc contituets to requiring new discs and most sane people know thats a con but unfortunly on a day to day basis i have to make said suggestions and most people go for it, i could go on for a week on why you shouldnt bother going to a main dealer and i work for one ffs
bubble

21st Oct 06 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shane_o
i work as a apprentice at a vauxhall garage and i would never pay half of what is charged, been told to try sell as much as i can which really annoys me and i refuse to do it. we have silly policies like 3mm tread depth is a serious advise to replace and the ring people up and say that they need tyres ffs 3mm most could make that last 5k easily, now brake pads/discs loads of bs with them to 70% worn is the offical replace them now time and a 1mm lip on either side of the disc contituets to requiring new discs and most sane people know thats a con but unfortunly on a day to day basis i have to make said suggestions and most people go for it, i could go on for a week on why you shouldnt bother going to a main dealer and i work for one ffs

in ref to 3mm on tyres-its been proven that with 3mm stopping distances in cases can be doubled-hence why the 1.6mm law is in the process of maybe bein changed to 3mm
shane_o

21st Oct 06 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it really i never knew that, i actually learnt somthing today thanks
mav

21st Oct 06 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bubblevaux

our current labour rate is 65+vat p/hr + £76 per hour

TBH I think that is a rip off...
bubble

21st Oct 06 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
Bubblevaux

its cheaper than nearby ford,vw,toyota and renault though
mav

21st Oct 06 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it, well they are even worse
bubble

21st Oct 06 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
Is it, well they are even worse

our dealership is in middle of very profitable CBD(central business district) though, so prices are high. ie in the Hanley CBD u can go shopping, but its so much cheaper 3 miles down the road. stupid-but i understand why prices and labour rates are high.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Oct 06 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bubblevaux
quote:

in ref to 3mm on tyres-its been proven that with 3mm stopping distances in cases can be doubled-hence why the 1.6mm law is in the process of maybe bein changed to 3mm

iv seen that report when they showed it on TV and it looked like bollocks.

How does tread affect stopping distances? fucking race cars can use slicks, you dont see them sliding everywhere

tread is only purposeful in wet roads, stops the water building up under the tyres

[Edited on 21-10-2006 by Steve]
bubble

21st Oct 06 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
quote:

iv seen that report when they showed it on TV and it looked like bollocks. o

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/motorvehicles/tread_depth.htm
Steve
Premium Member

21st Oct 06 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes thats in the wet, in the dry if anything it will be better
bubble

21st Oct 06 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

we live in uk though-it rains a lot here
Eck
Premium Member

21st Oct 06 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

but surely you can't base a change in the minimum tyre depth on the chances of it raining
Robin
Premium Member

21st Oct 06 at 23:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its worse in the dry too. the 'rubber' compound is too hard. slicks are soft, so they work well. a slick tyre made of normal road compound will not grip as well as the treaded tyre, even in the dry.
bubble

21st Oct 06 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eckmcmann
quote:
quote:

but surely you can't base a change in the minimum tyre depth on the chances of it raining

i dont know? just what is beiinng planned-its 4 or 5mm in some european countries fudge that!
Steve
Premium Member

21st Oct 06 at 23:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not going to be worse in the dry than it was with tread, there is less surface area with tread
Robin
Premium Member

21st Oct 06 at 23:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Michelin published figures proving that 3mm drops the stopping distance dramatically, and when I was working as a tyre fitter, we were sent on a driving day, where we drove the same car, with the same set of tyres, firstly with 8mm, then 3mm, then 1.6.

In the wet AND dry, the 1.6mm were far worse then the 3mm.
Robin
Premium Member

21st Oct 06 at 23:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
its not going to be worse in the dry than it was with tread, there is less surface area with tread

the edges of the blocks in the tread add to the lateral grip.
Mattb

22nd Oct 06 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mav
Bubblevaux

Thats cheap!

£110 + Vat here for your run of the mill VW
£125 + Vat for your touareg or phaeton
lee mitchell

22nd Oct 06 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Just a little update here with regards to the brakes.

Rachel was told by this Vauxhall main dealership that her brake pads were worn 90% on the front 80% on the rear.

Last week a friend of her family was around who is a mechanic, so he goes out and checks the pads for her, takes the wheels off and guess what?

Front pads worn 50% rear pads worn 40%, said to her shes got a good year left on them

Seriously question EVERYTHING that Vauxhall tell you because it will be a load of absolute bollocks.

If she hadn't been in the know about how they try it on she would have wasted 215 quid on something that didn't need doing
when i was on the phone to u i said they were probably only half worn. everything percentage wise is doubled up dont forget
Ludacris Turbo

22nd Oct 06 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only time i've been to a main dealer was when i had my pug. Got it serviced and they told me it needed £640+vat worth of work doin. So i took the car to my dads mate and he charged me £40 and said the dealer were takin the piss. The day i take my car to a main dealer to have work done on it is the day i win the lottery.
Cybermonkey

22nd Oct 06 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

How does tread affect stopping distances? fucking race cars can use slicks, you dont see them sliding everywhere

tread is only purposeful in wet roads, stops the water building up under the tyres

steve im shocked at this comment, i thought you were relatively smart road rubber is vastly different to track slicks, the tread compound is the stickiest rubber on the tyre, containing mostly silicon these days. the base rubber is too hard to offer any form of resistance against the tarmac.
Matt H

22nd Oct 06 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My local vauxhall garage have pretty much wrote my mums car off & then refused to accept responsibility
CorsAsh

22nd Oct 06 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Bad experience Ash?

Explained briefly back on page one mate:

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
Tell me about it Ollie, took dad's car for a service, some monkey changed the air filter and removed the entire AFM for some reason, then reassembled it with the AFM in backwards There's a sodding arrow on it FFS:

Took it back 6 times as the EML kept coming on, they replaced throttle body, ICV and ECU, wanted to charge us as it was just coming off warranty, but none of it helped, EML still came on and car ran like shit.

In the end, I was cleaning under the bonnet, saw as soon as I lifted it that the arrow was pointing the wrong way, took it back for them to change and surprise surprise, problem solved. Idiots.

<<  3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Morons 22 database queries in 0.1105850 seconds