corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Building a new pond on the hottest day of the year - Pretty much finished :D

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Building a new pond on the hottest day of the year - Pretty much finished :D
Carr

User status: Offline
24th Jul 06 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow what a beast that turned into for £1.99
Forever_Hatter

24th Jul 06 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol prob about 10 or 15 years old now tho

where as the chagoi is bout 17" and only 1 year old...altho stil smaller than the Ghostie
drunkenfool

24th Jul 06 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forever_Hatter, you got some lovely fish in there!

Bit more progress on the pond, we've made the foundations for the cement block wall which will stop the mound of earth pushing against the fence, and got a few blocks laid.

Can't wait to get my fish in now, went and got some dechlorinating stuff today, got the pump wired up and working through the weatherproof switched junction box although no filters as yet cos we are still waiting on the delivery.

I set it up now to stop it going stagnant and get some more oxygen in there, also put two small fish in there from my mums place today to get a start on getting it established. Filters should be here tomorrow, plan is to bring the fish I temporarily put in my mums pond down to this one, and bring the two big filters and pump that are there temporarily and quite established (eventually will be in uni pond in mine and marky's place ), then run that lot on top of the stuff that will be staying here which will give the stuff here a chance to get set up without killing the fish. I think that makes sense Also got one set of underwater lights set up, the second set are the same but going up the other end.

Im working all day again tomorrow but my mate is gonna carry on with building up the mound for the waterfall, and possibly go back to the builders merchants to get the coping to finish off the wall. Not too long now till i can jsut sit back and relax again in the garden

JadeM
Premium Member

24th Jul 06 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do you estimate the cost for creating such a pond?
drunkenfool

24th Jul 06 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the building supplies came to around £400 in total. Then with the help of trusty old ebay, got the pump for £105 (RRP £270), filter for £85 (RRP £220), 30m of hose for £45 but thats more than enough to do this pond and uni one, junction box £30, lights £30 a set X2, pond liner and underlay £70. Then theres the cost of the fish on top, but that depends what you want really, think I've spent about £350 so far
drunkenfool

25th Jul 06 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Filter arrived today so ive plumbed that in, also wired up the 2nd set of lights, and bought a couple more bits off ebay...

Got a 5 foot wide hammock so i can lounge outside

And two more fish, both 14"...

2nd one looks a bit evil though!!

Also bidding on this one which i think will be the last.

Got the day off tomorrow so will hopefully get the waterfall stuff all sorted, so will update with some more pics of that then. Its nice that people are taking an interest, even more motivation to get it finished quickly
Carr

26th Jul 06 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks cool as. Any new pics yet
drunkenfool

26th Jul 06 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a bit of a fiasco this evening, went to the local watergarden place for plants and ended up buying two more fish, i baby koi and an 8" ghost koi. Sitting by the pond earlier having a beer before bed and i noticed i hadnt seen the ghost koi for about 10 minutes, asked my mate and he said he saw him about 15 mins before when he was out there having a fag. Thought it was a bit weird so after another 5 mins i got the underwater lights and started searching, couldnt see him so by an offchance i had a look round the pond, and between the fence and the wall i saw a black thing wriggling a bit! Went straight over, put him back in the pond and he was just floating on his side pretty much dead so i got in the pond and held him under the waterfall flow for about 15 minutes and he slowly got better, but a few of his scales have come off and he';s still not looking too good. Spent the last 40 mins out there helping him recover, also put the 90 litre/hour air pump out there with the air stone in the waterfall,i hope he survives! If he does then he's blatantly gona be my favourite fish and ill call him "lucky"

Anyway....
Main point to garden centre visit was plants, we got a water lilly and a few japanese style plants to go round the waterfall.

Finished off the mound for the waterfall pretty much

Bought some bamboo fencing type stuff to finish off the edge a bit better, started making the course for the waterfall too so all thats left now is the coping on the wall of the pond, making the actual waterfall with the pond liner and pebbles that we bought, and then planting the trees/shrubs.

Fish are coming on friday so I think we are gonna get some netting to put over it to stop any more fish jumping out
I'm so pleased with how its turned out so far though

PS - they had this beauty for sale in the shop, thought it was worth a picture. Apparently it's quite dangerous as it can sting you, and is about equivolant to 10 bee stings at the same time, also eats other fish. I want one

[Edited on 26-07-2006 by drunkenfool]
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

27th Jul 06 at 00:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking awesome
mav

27th Jul 06 at 02:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is some ace work mate
Forever_Hatter

27th Jul 06 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that a marine Lion Head?? Sweet as them fish.

Loooks excellent the pond and I can tell its going to look real tidy when finished and the plants have established

Sorry to hear aboiut the ghostie tho....are the water balances right? As they have a tendancy to do that when its just tap water due to chlorine etc...But then again it takes fish and fish poo etc to help build the filters etc.

Most fish can survive without water for a good few hours....but some arent so luck...so hopefully he will be your LUCKY one
drunkenfool

27th Jul 06 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dechlorinated the water two days ago, put the filter in 2 days ago and left the bacteria boost culturing for 48 hours like it said, and added that to the filter yesterday too. Tested the pH, ammonia and nitrate levels, all of which are fine, and the rest of the fish seem quite happy in there at the moment. Might just be one of those things! Off to work again in a bit but only for a half day, so i hope to get it pretty much finished this afternoon/evening
--Dave--
Banned

27th Jul 06 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to hear about the ghostie mate. Glad he's looking a bit better.

Loving the pics, makes me want to build a pond in my garden but it's really narrow and I can't do much with it
drunkenfool

27th Jul 06 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Almost the last update now!
Nicked a couple more koi from my mum's pond (they are mine anyway )

Built up the coping around the top to finish it off, cost another £106 in materials but apart from a UV Clarifier, thats all the spending on it done now

And three random pics of how its looking now, will update it again when we got the waterfall etc done and the plants in tomorrow. Quite proud of myself really!

Carr

27th Jul 06 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wickedy bo mate. looks awesome
Reedy

27th Jul 06 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks cool mate. Real Pro job there.
Forever_Hatter

27th Jul 06 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks excellent mate...coping really finishes it off...can just imagine sitting chilling on the side of pond watch fish etc.

cant wait to see plants and waterfall finished
gavin18787
Premium Member

27th Jul 06 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks ace that mate

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
drunkenfool

29th Jul 06 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Almost finsihed now, put the waterfall in which just needs finishing off round the edges, and put some of the plants in too. Think im gonna cover the soil with stone about the same colour as the pond.

(Ignore the tubing on show, i brought the filters down from my mums pond to give the one here a head start, all the wiring and hosing that will stay here has been hidden away underground, and the hose from pump to filter goes underneath the coping near the waterfall )

Pic of the waterlilly in there

and we even had a frog visiting last night!

Ill update pics one last time when its all finished, thanks to all the people who have shown an interest, makes it even more worthwhile
ed

29th Jul 06 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats really cool. I wonder if our fountain we are having build for our front lawn will be big enough for some evil fishes
Kerry

30th Jul 06 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is amazing

Makes me want to build a pond now

drunkenfool

2nd Aug 06 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didnt win the auction on the third one above, so i decided to make up for it and go a bit mad again
Bought this 18" Chagoi

and this 18" Yamabuki (sp) ogon

Plus 5 like these, between 6" and 7"...

They will all be here on friday apart from one, the ones in there at the moment are already feeding from my hand even though they are pretty small, was quite weird the first time one nibbled at my finger
Gonna finish off the waterfall properly on friday with more earth, covering it with pebbles and generally making it look 100% finished so ill update it once more then probably for the last time
Robbo

2nd Aug 06 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Super super

Good job that man!
nik

3rd Aug 06 at 07:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks excellent, fancy building me one??
Jambo

3rd Aug 06 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IS this the "ponds annomous" thread??

Awesome work there chaps all of you, were going to be getting a pond in our garden soo but i think were getting it all built for us Just a natural style one, no fancy polkadot sharks or nout. Just a wildlife affair

Great thread

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll