corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Building a new pond on the hottest day of the year - Pretty much finished :D

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Building a new pond on the hottest day of the year - Pretty much finished :D
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
20th Jul 06 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Forever_Hatter

is that a purachina? or a doitsu platinum ogon?
Its a doitsu hariwake

Bet you cant wait to get it all done...real feel good factor hey
Too right mate, cant wait! This is only a mini project compared to what i got planned for the uni one though Got some underwater lights too so i can sit out in the evenings in the summer and chill out watching the fish there too

[Edited on 20-07-2006 by Forever_Hatter]
dna23

20th Jul 06 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Depends on the breed etc...the likes of showa,ochiba,chagoi,utsuri,Kohaku etc.

if they are true Japanese breeds then you can get a fair bit of cash for them providing they in good health.

There's a koi place just out back of Towcester isnt there? Just after where the a5 meets the a43?

Yes mate there is.... do you live near me? or just a knowledgable fish shop man

My fish are funky... i'll take some pics when i get home to show you all they have a nice pond to roam in so they're usually loving it just dont have a clue on what breed they are!
Forever_Hatter

20th Jul 06 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never used to like Doitsu style koi...But love them now...lovely silky look.

Would love to one day set up a quarantine tank and breed...Maybe when i get my own place

Sounds good bud...Look forward to seeing more progress and the finished article.

Ive recently re-dug mine as got bored just need to finish landscaping behind it and set lights and bridge
Forever_Hatter

20th Jul 06 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dna23
quote:
Depends on the breed etc...the likes of showa,ochiba,chagoi,utsuri,Kohaku etc.

if they are true Japanese breeds then you can get a fair bit of cash for them providing they in good health.

There's a koi place just out back of Towcester isnt there? Just after where the a5 meets the a43?

Yes mate there is.... do you live near me? or just a knowledgable fish shop man

My fish are funky... i'll take some pics when i get home to show you all they have a nice pond to roam in so they're usually loving it just dont have a clue on what breed they are!

Lol well based in Dunstable and used to work up and around Towcester and Daventry ad see it one time...Never been to it tho

Yeah get some pics up too as nice to get ideas of other peoples ponds....and fish.

dna23

20th Jul 06 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My ponds cool i built it to have progress pics, its got a top pond and waterfall down into the main pond pretty deep to tbh... we went about 1.5m down

I'll get some pics up asap, wat did you do around Tow/Dav way??

The shop is ok for fish.... nothing amazing though it's gone down in recent years!

[Edited on 20-07-2006 by dna23]
Forever_Hatter

20th Jul 06 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one every garden needs a pond Defo get some pics tho

Used to be a field service rep...worked between Stevenage and Daventry...Had to on occasions pop into Towcester Waitrose.

dna23

20th Jul 06 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mwg

20th Jul 06 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant beat digging holes in the ground

dont know why its just good fun
Forever_Hatter

20th Jul 06 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol espec with a mattock

think i might experiment with a mini digger in future
mwg

20th Jul 06 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wanna go and build a pond in the garden this weekend when Mums away at a wedding. Think my Mum would go mad though if she was to come home and find a big hole in the lawn
Daimo B

20th Jul 06 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool stuff, ponds a great!!!!

Can i offer some advice? Whats the wildlife like round your area? Do you like wildlife??

We have two ponds with a stream running between them. Top pond is about 350l, loads of fish, lillys etc... Then ti runs down into the lower pond (about 150l), then is sucked up, filtered, and run to the top pond again.

You gonna need a filter and pump if your having fish. Not cheap stuff. WE've spent about £200 on pump and filter.

Once you've decided that, take into consideration the wildlife. Our ponds are set with rocks either side so the frogs can get in and out of the pond easily from different directions. The lower pond is at grass level so thats ok. WE get between 5-10 frogs per night hopping around the garden/ponds etc..

Had to be carefull of pump selections as the lower pond has loads of newts which are protected.

The amount of wildlife that comes into the garden is amazing, birds come down to drink the small stream bit, frogs are becomming more relaxed, it brilliant in the evenings.

Consider what you want before you finish so you cna incorporate it into the pond design.
drunkenfool

20th Jul 06 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Already got the filtration sorted cheers mate, its gonna be more of an ornamental pond than a natural wildlife one, only thing is the waterfall will obviously be exposed so the birds can drink from it etc. Will take more pics now, only had to go to work for an hour so gonna spend the rest of the afternoon on it, been back to the builders merchants for another boot load of supplies
Will update this page this evening

[Edited on 20-07-2006 by drunkenfool]
Daimo B

20th Jul 06 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh righty, the worst thing u'll suffer with then is algie..

tbh, ours isn't a natural pond, its full of goldfish and them Koisi goldfish things, but the wildlife came with it.

I prefer the frogs and newts now over the fish.

U'll find that water will attract animals anyway. Frogs are a bonus
Forever_Hatter

20th Jul 06 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sure with having run a pond already he wil have the right equipment.

The main problem is getting the set up right can take up to 6-8 weeks before the filters have matured and got it to a safe and good level of amonia etc.

Ive had my revamped pond set up about 8weeks and its almost crystal clear now.

We have a pretty natural pond also like yourself with a small parcel of foresty land behind my pond which attracts all types of wildlife...Since my Mantis has died we have even let the crickets out in the rocks etc sitting down there in the evening is quality with the cirkcets making noise
J da Silva

20th Jul 06 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also have a mini pond in the section of garden nearest the house(garden has a cut off to another area of garden) and it's only a piddley one for my little niece to keep her fish in, she enjoys feeding them and watching them dart about, there is no way they would survive with the monster in JS10 lakes.
dna23

20th Jul 06 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 years ago now look at my retro 13yr old arse haha:

some additions over the 6 years...

now these fish

they're mutated i swear

Forever_Hatter

20th Jul 06 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh the last two look real nice.

They got doitsu scales nice silky look with scales down ridge of back

lol @ mutated they do kinda do that hey..my girlfriends pond is a mix of the originals its funny.

Nice pond that...And every pond needs a aza tree
dna23

20th Jul 06 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't know really what they are lol we have 6 real big ones... but only 4 were on top tonight, they usually rest on the edge basically out of the water but as soon as you come along they go back in may try get some pics from my window
Forever_Hatter

20th Jul 06 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol mine used to do that...but since i took a keen interest in them and feed them at same time daily and same area of the pond they come up...and the Chagoi even when im cleaning pump...trimming lilly's back they come over and nibble @ hand.

Got some half done pics of mine...will get some over the weekend tho of how it currently is
drunkenfool

20th Jul 06 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a shot of the boot filled with more supplies, also got a shot of the suspension for a laugh but cant find it :S (it was scraping on the wheels every time i went round a corner )

Got the wall built up three layers high on the outer facing, and two high on the inner one. Had to make the foundations for the wall by the fence and done that one double skinned too of concrete blocks, the plan is to fill the cavity between the facings with concrete to give it some more strength.

Coming along really well, the liner was delivered today too so pretty much all thats left now is making the mound for the waterfall, digging down a bit for the deeper part of the pond, putting in the lining and finishing it off. Already got the cable buried underground for the electrics so just gonna get a weatherproof junction box and then wire up the bits, hopefully should have some water in there by the end of the weekend and using the filter boost and dechlorinating stuff, might even have some fish in there in the week. Goldfish first though in case they die

Will keep you lot updated with more progress, i got to work all of tomorrow but my best mate is carrying on with it so should have some more pics then.

dna23

20th Jul 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

20th Jul 06 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks top so far well done
Forever_Hatter

21st Jul 06 at 07:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one fella looking good....where bouts you having the waterfall?

Will be nice too as its near the french doors so will be able to chill on patio like area and not to far to go for a bevvie
drunkenfool

21st Jul 06 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Waterfall is going on the left hand side, building up the mound of earth and having a couple of little splash pools in it. I took some pics but lost my phone downstairs a few mins ago My mate dug the hole out more and started building up the mound, im busy all day tomorrow but we should have the liner in and filled by sunday evening. 3 of the fish were delivered today so they are in my mums pond at the moment (along with the pump and filters for uni which are there temporarily to help her pond cope with the extra fish) and i also won the auction on ebay for that 17" gold one
mav

21st Jul 06 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting there mate going to look ace.

now I want one, wheres my shovel

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll